26 minutes ago, nom said:

The guy was doing a flip in mid air. Even a minor bump could result in landing in a dangerous way.   Could Metcalf have done something even worse?  Yes, MSU, he could have. You are right on that.  Still was a crappy thing to do, even in the heat of the moment.

I agree with everything you said.  However, this is about "worst losers".  To me, this is WAY LESS than what it could have been which, by definition, takes away the "worst" part.............

30 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Dude, at one point he was running damn near full boar.  By the time he gets to him he is damn near standing still.  Not sure how you see anything different than that.  If he stays at the same speed he was at by the time he hits the N in the NCAA center, he takes him off the platform.  Is that even the slightest bit arguable?

Edited to add:  Did you play football?  I actually played strong safety.  So this situation was right up my alley.  If a guy goes airborne and you are running at them to the point you can be underneath them mid-air, you could do more damage to the umpteenth power over what Metcalf did.  How do you not see that?

Yes, he did wrong.  I am not denying that.  But, he OBVIOUSLY held off by the time he made contact!

Everyone has their own perspective.  Mine is not that he was not damn near standing still.  To each their own

Edited by Lurker

56 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I agree with everything you said.  However, this is about "worst losers".  To me, this is WAY LESS than what it could have been which, by definition, takes away the "worst" part.............

Yeah, and by that reasoning Terry could have punched Cross in the face after the match, so what happened there is WAY LESS than what it could have been which, by definition, takes away the "worst" part............

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Yeah, and by that reasoning Terry could have punched Cross in the face after the match, so what happened there is WAY LESS than what it could have been which, by definition, takes away the "worst" part............

Not what I am saying at all.  The situations aren't comparable.  My point was that he "pulled up".  He WAS chasing a guy inarguably celebrating with time still on the clock. Was he wrong to do that?  By the time Caldwell went full flip, he had ABSOLUTELY throttled down.  We can debate the semantics of how he throttled down, but my point is simple.  What he did was the equivalent of a shoulder bump, but equated to worse because Caldwell was in the air a split second after the whistle and ABSOLUTELY started the move before.

All of the above absolutely should be considered. It's not like he was standing in front of Caldwell after the whistle and attacked him.  The situation itself is very unique and I think Metcalf deserves some consideration.  Now, I am not saying he did nothing wrong.  If you have read what I said, he absolutely did.  I just think the situation and what I truly believe was him backing down at the end, make it much less egregious than you believe.

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Not what I am saying at all.  The situations aren't comparable.  My point was that he "pulled up".  He WAS chasing a guy inarguably celebrating with time still on the clock. Was he wrong to do that?  By the time Caldwell went full flip, he had ABSOLUTELY throttled down.  We can debate the semantics of how he throttled down, but my point is simple.  What he did was the equivalent of a shoulder bump, but equated to worse because Caldwell was in the air a split second after the whistle and ABSOLUTELY started the move before.

All of the above absolutely should be considered. It's not like he was standing in front of Caldwell after the whistle and attacked him.  The situation itself is very unique and I think Metcalf deserves some consideration.  Now, I am not saying he did nothing wrong.  If you have read what I said, he absolutely did.  I just think the situation and what I truly believe was him backing down at the end, make it much less egregious than you believe.

Fair enough, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Sure, DC's early celebration triggered BM.  BM's choice to push DC mid-air was egregious.  BM's shove was unacceptable even if there was more time on the clock.

7 minutes ago, jross said:

Sure, DC's early celebration triggered BM.  BM's choice to push DC mid-air was egregious.  BM's shove was unacceptable even if there was more time on the clock.

Serious question: If there was indeed time on the clock, would it have been more acceptable for Metcalf to tackle Caldwell mid-flip?

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Serious question: If there was indeed time on the clock, would it have been more acceptable for Metcalf to tackle Caldwell mid-flip?

Absolutely. That would at least be an attempt to score points.

I can't believe we're still doing this by the way. Grown adults can't accept a case of bad sportsmanship 10 years later because it hurts their feelings to see their heroes make a mistake. Grow up. 

Now it amounts to basically a shoulder bump, lol. 

Like I said before, nobody is trying to make it out to be more than it was. The only people trying to deviate from what it really was are the people trying to excuse it away. 

19 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Absolutely. That would at least be an attempt to score points.

I can't believe we're still doing this by the way. Grown adults can't accept a case of bad sportsmanship 10 years later because it hurts their feelings to see their heroes make a mistake. Grow up. 

You grow up!I was literally looking at this from a referee's point of view, and you get all flustered.  Take a lap, son.

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

You grow up!I was literally looking at this from a referee's point of view, and you get all flustered.  Take a lap, son.

Only the first part of the post was directed at you as a genuine answer to your question, which was important. I was 100% serious about that. 

The second part was directed at those who won't accept what Metcalf did sucked. Sorry if you thought I was taking a shot at you.