Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Don’t have the link but..UWW

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/executive-board-develops-plan-remaining-2020-events

Junior Worlds - Belgrade, Serbia: 4-10 December

Senior Worlds - Belgrade, Serbia: 12-20 December

U23 - Tampere, Finland: 23-29 November

"Any competition wishing to be held in 2020 must follow the criteria as established by the Executive Board and must be fulfilled for any competitions to go ahead. The competitions must include 8 of the 10 best ranked teams and a minimum of 70% participating countries (based on prior year’s athlete attendance).

To be valid, the conditions and criteria for competition must be confirmed by UWW and local organizers two months prior to the start of the competition. If the criteria is met, the best-case scenario would allow for the following competitions to take place on these dates:"

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Was this already decided before a new championship was planned?  A senior world championship in December seems like any other senior world championship to me.

UWW announced a little while ago that if there was a Sr. Worlds that it wouldn’t impact seeding for the Olympics.

The only events that will count going forward is the continental championships, the ranking event that has already taken place, and 2019 Sr. Worlds.

Personal preference, and this kills me because it doesn't reflect who I believe should get a 'shot' at being on the team:

We take the team as-is and offer them a spot in a two day mini-tournament.  We need/want five per weight, though, so USA Wrestling/USAW coaching staff decides on the final two in a manner they decide okay, allowing Dake, Green, Cox, etc the opportunity to go up/down in weight if they wish to, however they MUST make their intention to go up or down known(meaning if they aren't selected they do not have the option to go up/down).  I imagine criteria would need to be dictated that world medals or place on the US ladder gets priority(meaning Dake/Cox likely would get a spot, if they choose).

So we would have these toons all auto-qualify:
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/team-usa/national-team-bios

Now if Dake, Green, Cox, etc, decide they want to go up/down, they do get priority over anyone NOT on the list for the weights they're trying to go to.  Obviously it needs to be something a bit more formal and set in stone, and obviously injuries/covid would have to be respected.

Now how the wreslting goes:

Day 1:
#2-5 wrestle off. Either in a round robin, using points based how we used to do local tournaments back when I was a kiddo(decision gets 3 points for, opponent gets 0 if scoring 0 and 1 if points are scored, techfall is 4 and 0/1, etc).  Or it can just be a mini-tournament, although a seeding criteria would be needed then.  I'd rather a round robin.

Day 2:
Day 1 winner faces the #1 on the ladder person in a best of three.

I rather align with Dake's mentality of sitting out, BUT I am not against it in this scenario.

24 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

In this scenario how do we determine our team?

I'd guess it would be a very scaled down trials at ~8 man brackets. Wrestle it all in 1-2 days to get it done quick.

Qualifiers are anyone qualified for the Olympic Trials (able to choose any weight) and then fill out the rest with US Open placers until you get to 8 (9 if you do bye to finals like before).

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Any word from USAWrestling on how they will field a team for these upcoming 2020 WC's?

mspart

Or will we even be sending a team to this since it has no impact on qualification/seeding for the Olympics?

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

Or will we even be sending a team to this since it has no impact on qualification/seeding for the Olympics?

Good point. Also who knows if our team even be allowed to travel over. I want to believe that we'll have our caseload under control by December, but right now things are not looking good and other countries have a good reason to ban travelers from the US, Brazil, India, etc. Conversely, Serbia just said they are experiencing a critical situation in Belgrade so who knows if they'll be able to host or if participating nations will want to go. I wonder if Micic will definitely take another ORS though if it's happening in Serbia.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Zadick would get tarred and feathered for not sending a team to worlds. 

It wouldn't be Zaddick's decision on his own.  Cody, Gutches and Bender probably have more of the decision than Zaddick.

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It wouldn't be Zaddick's decision on his own.  Cody, Gutches and Bender probably have more of the decision than Zaddick.

There are a couple of committees at USAW that end up making the decision. Bender and Gutches might make a proposal to said committees but they don't make the decisions.

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

If the tourney is held, the decision could well be made way above anyone on the USAW  hierarchy.

... and this is a VERY tall order if you think about it (for a tourney that isn't an Olympic qualifier):

"Any competition wishing to be held in 2020 must follow the criteria as established by the Executive Board and must be fulfilled for any competitions to go ahead. The competitions must include 8 of the 10 best ranked teams and a minimum of 70% participating countries (based on prior year’s athlete attendance).

To be valid, the conditions and criteria for competition must be confirmed by UWW and local organizers two months prior to the start of the competition. If the criteria is met, the best-case scenario would allow for the following competitions to take place on these dates:"

I really question if 8 of the top 10 teams are going to give an ok.

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

If the tourney is held, the decision could well be made way above anyone on the USAW  hierarchy.

... and this is a VERY tall order if you think about it (for a tourney that isn't an Olympic qualifier):

"Any competition wishing to be held in 2020 must follow the criteria as established by the Executive Board and must be fulfilled for any competitions to go ahead. The competitions must include 8 of the 10 best ranked teams and a minimum of 70% participating countries (based on prior year’s athlete attendance).

I really question if 8 of the top 10 teams are going to give an ok.

Yeah I get all that, as well as what gimp said above.  My basic point in the response is that if it is held and USA does not go, it won't be because it was on Zaddick to decide and he said no, hence no feather tarring.

Just now, Lurker said:

Yeah I get all that, as well as what gimp said above.  My basic point in the response is that if it is held and USA does not go, it won't be because it was on Zaddick to decide and he said no, hence no feather tarring.

I completely agree with you... just adding onto what you and Gimp said.

There's no chance 8:10 top returning teams can attend.  Health, safety, questionable relevance, qualification, and proximity to the Olympic games are all issues to some degree but the bottom line is:

It is unrealistic to think member nations will be able to afford funding a trip of this magnitude that wasn't explicitly budgeted for.  While I understand there was definitely relief of financial commitment by nation with the postponement of the Tokyo games, there are undoubtedly expected revenues that did not come to fruition due to the suspension of worldwide economic and wrestling activities as well.