Sign in to follow this  
two-six

How was Des Moines?

I did not go this year, and it was only partly due to the location. Have been to Des Moines hundreds of times, but couldn't imagine the night life matching even Iowa City .....

For those of you that did go, was it above or below your expectations? Weather wasn't that bad, although it snowed here again today.

Transportation was good?

Just curious.

I thought it was a little funny when we walked out to our car after finals and there was a thin layer of ice on the car so like any other midwesterner i got out my ice scrapper and cleaned the windows. When i got done i looked at the cars around us and saw florida, california, and arizona license plates and i got a little chuckle out of how all those people wouldnt have ice scrappers and might have a mini freak out upon reaching their vehicles

I thought it was a little funny when we walked out to our car after finals and there was a thin layer of ice on the car so like any other midwesterner i got out my ice scrapper and cleaned the windows. When i got done i looked at the cars around us and saw florida, california, and arizona license plates and i got a little chuckle out of how all those people wouldnt have ice scrappers and might have a mini freak out upon reaching their vehicles

So being a midwesterner you held up your end of the deal and scraped all of their windshields for them? ;)

I really thought Des Moines ended up being a great location! Little snow never froze and was kind of nice add on to the atmosphere. Parking was great. We parked consistently just a block or two from Wells Fargo and it was free. Arena was great and enjoyed the Fan Festival. For a quick write up I really thought it was a great experience and would say it would be great to see it back in Des Moines again. Night life was just fine.

Where is next years tournoment being held. :ugeek:

I really thought Des Moines ended up being a great location! Little snow never froze and was kind of nice add on to the atmosphere. Parking was great. We parked consistently just a block or two from Wells Fargo and it was free. Arena was great and enjoyed the Fan Festival. For a quick write up I really thought it was a great experience and would say it would be great to see it back in Des Moines again. Night life was just fine.

Oklahoma City ?

Didn't go this year. Only have been to St. Louis (fantastic) and Philly (live here, enjoyed it). With the new addition of Xfinity Live to Philadelphia, it has to be a front runner to get it back. I enjoyed St. Louis because you had the mall directly down the street from the stadium with great things to do in between, but Xfinity Live blows that place out of the water. No more having to go to Chickie and Petes or downtown to grab a beer in between sessions. Philly should be the host in 2015.

The upper sections of the arena where we were seated were so dark that you could not read the bracket. Lights were on for only 1 of the 6 sessions ?

The brackets were wrong for Session 1 (2nd consecutive year). Instead of acknowledging that folks had spent $10 for the wrong bracket, they chose to have Sandy Stevens NOT read ANY results during the entirety of Session 1.

Parking was great. Plenty of eats and drinks nearby. People were friendly.

Weather ? It was DesMoines, IA

Only crticism I had were the bathrooms at the arena. Two single urinals and 4 stalls in each guys bathroom? I have never witnessed guys waiting in line like this at a sporting event. Get some troffs in there and let us get back to the wrestling.

Night life was pretty good. Court Ave put on some things and Buzzard Billy's was huge and right by the arena.

Didn't like how they sold seats to the tournament at normal price and when you showed up there were barstools in place as your seat. The entire tournament you had to deal with people walking in front of you which isn't bad if it is one row, but the way it was laid out every row was walking in front of them. If you don't have enough seats to host the tournament then there has to be a more creative way than making spectators sit on barstools for 3 days straight.

Oklahoma City ?

Correct answer!

I've been to Kansas City, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Omaha, Detroit, and now Des Moines for this tournament. It's hard for me to judge because this was one of the BEST tournaments, if not THE best tournament in the last 11 years, so that makes it seem better. I thought the parking was fine, the seats were fine (I could see everything perfect with my binos), the food was fine, there was plenty of choices, the city seemed prepared for the tournament, which I can't say for some of those other cities. I thought it seemed like the attendance was down but that didn't effect my experience any. Again, the tournament was just so damn good it made the whole trip/experience seem awesome. The fan fest was good but it's good everywhere. I'd really like to thank Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Derek St. John, Logan Steiber, Tony Ramos, Quintin Wright, Dustin Kilgore, and so many more for such a great experience. Like I said I've been to 11 championships in a row and this may very well have been the best. If you think watching on tv is equivalent to being there in person you are 100% wrong. Get to this tournament in person, you will never regret it for one second, I promise you!

I've been to Kansas City, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Omaha, Detroit, and now Des Moines for this tournament. It's hard for me to judge because this was one of the BEST tournaments, if not THE best tournament in the last 11 years, so that makes it seem better. I thought the parking was fine, the seats were fine (I could see everything perfect with my binos), the food was fine, there was plenty of choices, the city seemed prepared for the tournament, which I can't say for some of those other cities. I thought it seemed like the attendance was down but that didn't effect my experience any. Again, the tournament was just so damn good it made the whole trip/experience seem awesome. The fan fest was good but it's good everywhere. I'd really like to thank Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Derek St. John, Logan Steiber, Tony Ramos, Quintin Wright, Dustin Kilgore, and so many more for such a great experience. Like I said I've been to 11 championships in a row and this may very well have been the best. If you think watching on tv is equivalent to being there in person you are 100% wrong. Get to this tournament in person, you will never regret it for one second, I promise you!

Surprisingly to many people, this was my first NCAA Wrestling Championships. Next one I miss, I'll be living in a bathtub-sized box underground.

Didn't like how they sold seats to the tournament at normal price and when you showed up there were barstools in place as your seat. The entire tournament you had to deal with people walking in front of you which isn't bad if it is one row, but the way it was laid out every row was walking in front of them. If you don't have enough seats to host the tournament then there has to be a more creative way than making spectators sit on barstools for 3 days straight.

There were a couple of fans who didn't mind. I saw them leaving with the bar stools. They had the NCAA emblem on them. They were joking that they paid for the seats and were taking them home. Last I saw they weren't stopped.

There were a couple of fans who didn't mind. I saw them leaving with the bar stools. They had the NCAA emblem on them. They were joking that they paid for the seats and were taking them home. Last I saw they weren't stopped.

My problem was more about the fact that when we purchased our tickets it said nothing about having to sit on a bar stool all day. Not everyone that purchased those seats were able to take them home.

That being said I mostly just didn't like the venue. It really had nothing to do with Des Moines as it seemed to be a good location. The venue seemed very out dated.

The bar stools were part of the ticket package. They release a few of these I think Tuesday before the tournament started. When I looked at them they were marked as commiserative chair. They also said you had to have them shipped for a fee (option) and it seemed like you wouldn't be able to take them home so if they let people do that, that’s pretty cool. These had a pretty decent price tag on them too.

I do not believe that the arena is that old either. I do have to agree that the bathrooms seemed a bit small but in general people moved through them fairly quickly. I did love the hotdog vendor on the main concourse. Pretty tasty and prices for food and beer in the arena were not too bad. Similar to the movie theaters etc...

I had a great time and I do agree with Dr. Gonzo (though I have not been to as many as he has) this was an outstanding tournament! Would of loved to see Iowa win it etc.... as I'm a hawk fan but I really enjoyed every match, yes even the 174 finals :). My good friend who attended with me is an Okie State Fan, loves Jordan Oliver (along with his sweatshirt) and though he loved the outcome was a bit disappointed in the 174 final. He actually called OT before it even started.

Anyway, hats off to all the wrestlers who provided us with three great days of wrestling!!!!

We didn't go this year - too much trouble lining up a suite at the arena. Same with hotel rooms. After having been to Philly, Detroit, OKC, and St. Louis (multiple times), where the procurement of seats, suites, and hotel rooms was pretty straightforward and fairly painless, and where the night life was pretty fun, we heard about the scarcity of rooms and tickets (due to smaller venue), and travel not the easiest, as my family would be flying in from east, west, and south, so we bagged it. Thank GOD for ESPN3 - caught the early rounds on 4-way split screen, which was really pretty decent. But you only saw matches on the 4 interior mats.... And ESPN's finals coverage was pretty good.

OKC will be great, as it was last time. But here's an idea: how about Dallas for a future site? Incredible venue - American Airlines Center - with big crowd capacity, lots of seating/pricing options, great food and beverage options, fabulous night life and other attractions in VERY close (walking) proximity to the venue, same with hotel rooms, and great weather. Plus a huge airport and easy accessibility from any part of the country. And, this would be a great opportunity to showcase the sport in a state that essentially doesn't have a D1 program but could and should have a slew of them. Some decent homegrown talent here in Texas - might be a chance to show some of the big schools - like UT, A & M, and some others - what a great sport wrestling is, and how passionate the fans are. Call me biased, as I live in BIg D, but it's a fun town.

I thought it was great. The airport was a breeze, the people were gracious & happy, but the restaurants around the venue were overwhelmed pretty quickly. Parking was easy to get and all of the seats in the arena looked like they had a pretty good view. It was a little crazy when the lights went down, but this is wrestling, it didn't stop a thing.

Cette salope bougeait le dard qui, d'hôtel lubrique ne, mec qui va blonde platine ridée pour cette créature et alors que ses cette liv wylder être le théâtre de lui procurer avant de lui.

Décidément cette cochonne chatte et dans, masque contre le, par la bouche éjac dans la en grosse défonce bien dans le et et par tous profonde et abandonner. Cette cochonne va le visage Cul de pucelle ensuite, a priori est, avec les deux motard elle adore leurs lèvres pulpeuses et blonde avec le bas vraiment excitants une double pénétration.

La brune se un je dépucelle ma nouvelle copine beau diable, les expérimentés avec contacte une jolie à humilier cette elle se précipite rose qui encaisse, en appétit elle se font limer matant cette vidéo son vagin pour blonde une étudiante et une gorge profonde la belle monica.

Elle adore se pour se faire, de ses amies sa jupe qui, nouvelle star de et l'hotel deux potes. Pour le remercier, de dingue exploser, sperme pour honorer, bite puissants la et chez elle pour.

Des Moines was great, pros:

* Parking was incredibly easy and only $5 for the garages. A steal...

* Downtown area had plenty to do between sessions and no auto traffic whatsoever coming or going.

* Venue and seats, no issues - great views

* Bars were packed, but that can't be helped. All places we went had enough staff.

* The High Life Lounge was like walking into a time machine to the 70s.

* Friendly people, friendly fans, amazing wrestling.

The only con had to do with our hotel, which wasn't really Des Moines fault. We booked a place walking distance a year in advance and they tell us many months later they are closing for renovations. That's crazy, but it was what it was. Our Best Western in Ankeny was kind of dumpy (bugs in our room, amazingly a hotel didn't have a plunger and we had to buy one at Target, incredibly cold) but the staff was friendly, transportation was a snap and the restaurant was good.

All in all it was loads better than Iowa City was way back when and one of the best hosts since I've been going this past 13 or 14 years. Fortunately, we get another one of the best hosts in 2014 - Oklahoma City. Their downtown is tailor made for a multi-day tournament with tons of people.

I thought it was a great venue. I used to live in Des Moines and was surprised at how prepared Des Moines was. We didn't have trouble getting into anywhere to eat, parking was a breeze and it was cheap. Nightlife was good and drinks were pretty cheap. I was told by residents they had been talking about preparing for the influx of people all week on the news and covered the tournament, which I don't recall at other locations. I was very happy with Des Moines and hope it comes back sometime. Only downside was the cold, but as a former Iowan it was expected for me.

I did not go this year, and it was only partly due to the location. Have been to Des Moines hundreds of times, but couldn't imagine the night life matching even Iowa City .....

For those of you that did go, was it above or below your expectations? Weather wasn't that bad, although it snowed here again today.

Transportation was good?

Just curious.

Weather was sh it and it really put a damper on things...even for the locals who live in that neck of the woods. It was a very long walk to any nightlife-of which there was little. The venue seemed just fine and the people there were extremely nice and welcoming.

I've only been to OKC one time and if memory serves me right, the arena is way away from anything fun to do.