Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

Losing interest?

I was wondering if anybody else is slowly/rapidly losing interest in our sport bc of the pandemic. 

Even in the college off-season, I used to check the usual sources several times a day for updates. I would spend a few hours every week watching matches and a few more reviewing technique/training strategies.

Now, I kinda don't care. E.g. I watched 1/2 of the first episode of the Cael-thing on Flo and turbed it off. Anybody else tuning out? 

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I was wondering if anybody else is slowly/rapidly losing interest in our sport bc of the pandemic. 

Even in the college off-season, I used to check the usual sources several times a day for updates. I would spend a few hours every week watching matches and a few more reviewing technique/training strategies.

Now, I kinda don't care. E.g. I watched 1/2 of the first episode of the Cael-thing on Flo and turbed it off. Anybody else tuning out? 

Agreed

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Yes

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Summer is an annual wrestling loll for me. Eventually the gray skies and a chill in the air gets me back into.  I have to be in a masochist state of mind.  I remember when I lived in California I couldn't understand why kids would even want to wrestle.  The weather was phenomenal.  

Edited by portajohn

I don’t think it’s much different  than most offseasons.  If anything I’m more interested in wrestling offseason discussion because there are basically no actual sports going on.

3 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

I am watching MORE college wrestling on TV than I would be watching IF we had had a more regular situation. There has been quite a bit of college wrestling on my cable here.

I’m not watching much but I’m in the same boat as you. I changed up our Sling Tv package recently and it added the Olympic channel to our list. They’ve shown a lot of the 2018 and 2019 worlds recently. 

My own personal experience: Robbed of the NCAA tournament and disappointed at the prospect of no Olympic Games or international freestyle competitions, I stopped visiting any wrestling websites. After a period of time, I tried watching a few MMA matches. I love watching Khabib Nurmagomedov, especially his destruction of Conor Mcgregor; Mcgregor's behavior in the period before their meeting is inexcusable and unforgivable. You do not insult an opponent's religion and family, especially a man's father. He got what he deserved, regardless of his cop out that it was "all business". If it was all business, that's a business he should not allow himself to be in.  Khabib wins MMA matches with wrestling/grappling skills, something that greatly appealed to me with my wrestling background. Other matches were disappointments for me, because I don't like watching a sport where a single punch usually results in a stunned opponent who is then overwhelmed and the match ends. 

Then I started watching some boxing, and I started with bantamweight Naoya Inoue from Japan. I quickly realized that I had never given boxing a chance, especially since so much emphasis is usually placed on the heavyweight division. Inoue quickly showed me that this sport is an art, like wrestling, and he and other great boxers have fundamental skills that are polished to a high degree. I watched all of Inoue's fights, and I enjoyed them immensely. To make a long story short, I have since explored other boxers, including Gennady Golovkin, Vasyl Lomachenko, Artur Beterbiev, and even Tyson Fury, who has made the heavyweight division so much more interesting. In those months, I never visited these forums on The Mat. 

A week or so ago, I came back and looked over the forums. My immediate reaction, besides surprise that Nolf was scheduled to wrestle JO, was satisfaction that I had stayed away. It seemed that the interaction among commenters had become more rancorous and unfriendly, and the ad hominem attacks were worse than ever. There was also very little content. I feel that I made the right decision. I found another sport that interests me, and I have enjoyed learning about it. It will not replace wrestling for me, and I anticipate post-COVID-19 international and NCAA wresting. Can't wait to see the next Olympics and World Championships!

Edited by pa in taiwan

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

wtf?

why?

NEVER!!!!

Not sure of your tone, but I know a lot guys who have arranged clandestine training camps. Private mats, word of mouth ... 

Anybody know folks doing this?

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

Not sure of your tone, but I know a lot guys who have arranged clandestine training camps. Private mats, word of mouth ... 

check with jackwebster he knows  ;)

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

The first rule of these camps is you don't talk about it. The second rule is that you DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!!!

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

check with jackwebster he knows  ;)

Uhh... what did I say that was weird? I was wondering if anybody else had seen folks practicing on the reg. 

Re Fletcher: there is a Fight Club vibe to the private gyms in my area. 

Edited by jackwebster

15 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The first rule of these camps is you don't talk about it. The second rule is that you DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!!!

That is a great line! That should be in a movie. Maybe someday 

6 hours ago, jackwebster said:

my tone is:

how could anyone lose interest in the sport?

3 hours ago, buckshot1969 said:

I've lost interest in everything that has been cancelled. 

I'll go back to  enjoying things once they return.

Fishing was pretty good this past weekend.  Added bonus - social distancing was easy.  No need to fret about the stuff that isn't happening.

11 hours ago, red blades said:

Fishing was pretty good this past weekend.  Added bonus - social distancing was easy.  No need to fret about the stuff that isn't happening.

Red blades, Last week my 9 year old daughter caught a 2lb large mouth bass, while fishing for crappie.