Sign in to follow this  
klehner

Ivy League to move football to spring?

Multiple football coaches in the Ivy League told The Athletic over the weekend that they expect Wednesday’s announcement to be that the league is moving all fall sports, including football, to spring 2021. The coaches spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conference has not announced its final decision. “In order to have an effective season without hiccups, time is the answer,” one Ivy League coach told The Athletic. “If we play in the spring, it won’t bother me.” Added another Ivy League coach on Sunday: “That seems most realistic now with cases spiking in so many places.”

37 minutes ago, klehner said:

Multiple football coaches in the Ivy League told The Athletic over the weekend that they expect Wednesday’s announcement to be that the league is moving all fall sports, including football, to spring 2021. The coaches spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conference has not announced its final decision. “In order to have an effective season without hiccups, time is the answer,” one Ivy League coach told The Athletic. “If we play in the spring, it won’t bother me.” Added another Ivy League coach on Sunday: “That seems most realistic now with cases spiking in so many places.”

Although the Ivy states (NJ,Pa,NY,Ct,Ma,NH,RI) are doing fairly well right now so the in-league games might not be too bad by September.

This is from Princeton's website announcing back to campus protocols for the coming academic year:
Athletics

With return to campus protocols still being developed and introduced by Ivy League institutions, the Council of Ivy League Presidents intends to announce a final decision regarding the status of intercollegiate athletic activity for fall 2020 on July 8. This decision and other important details for student-athletes will be communicated by the Department of Athletics directly to Princeton coaches, staff and student-athletes on July 8.

The Centennial Conference announced a little while ago that all sports are suspended for the fall semester; they may re-schedule some sports for the spring.  Included in the suspension is wrestling.  While this specifically addresses the Div III programs, Franklin & Marshall has announced that it will cover their Div I wrestling program.  So, no wrestling for F&M during the fall semester.

This has the feel of the period right after conference tournaments, when the NCAA tournament was still on but for family members only.  I feel like a lot's coming in the next week.

Edited by jdalu75
correction

16 hours ago, aknipp said:

Considering that Harvard (and other schools) have stated that next semester (or even next year) will be on line,  I am not really surprised. 

Pretty sure Harvard has said all classes for 2020/21 will be online so probably all athletics will be virtual/online as well or simply cancelled?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

The Colonial Conference announced a little while ago that all sports are suspended for the fall semester; they may re-schedule some sports for the spring.  Included in the suspension is wrestling.  While this specifically addresses the Div III programs, Franklin & Marshall has announced that it will cover their Div I wrestling program.  So, no wrestling for F&M during the fall semester.

This has the feel of the period right after conference tournaments, when the NCAA tournament was still on but for family members only.  I feel like a lot's coming in the next week.

I think you mean the Centennial Conference.

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes there are bringing freshman and up to 40% to campus but still doing online classes for all, unless you've found something different?

I was responding to your saying all classes were online. I guess you meant all classes COULD be online not that every kid had to be online which is how I took your statement.

16 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I was responding to your saying all classes were online. I guess you meant all classes COULD be online not that every kid had to be online which is how I took your statement.

Yes that's what I said, all classes online for 2020/21

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/harvard-school-year-coronavirus-1.5639034

but you replied with a link about freshman and up to 40% on campus, I did not say "could be."

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I didn't notice that you could live on campus but still had to take online. Weird.

My understanding is the faculty told the administration they would not provide in person lectures to students.  At the same time, families of admitted students told the administration that they would defer enrollment or go somewhere else if they didn't get to go to the campus as they can get access to free Harvard lectures anyways and the real value is being on campus and engaging with the Harvard community of students and resources.

As a result, the administration made this decision in an effort to appease both groups of stakeholders. 

I work on a college campus. Harvard’s plan to have at risk students on campus (and freshmen in the fall/seniors in the spring) makes sense.

Why live on campus - you can focus on studying instead of caring for younger siblings/working 20 hours a week/dealing with internet connectivity issues.

Why online classes? Do you want to be in a classroom for hours where the virus is circulating and everyone in the room has a mask on? You’re going to have problems communicating and it’s going to be socially awkward. Small Zoom classes where you can see each other’s faces, supplemented by online lectures and a robust online learning platform would be safer and may well be educationalLy superior.

6 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Do you guys think that with Stanford's recent announcement that they are dropping wrestling, do any of the Ivy League schools follow?  

I don't think so.

Stanford's decision isn't about money and isn't about the virus.  They want to focus on a more limited number of sports and want to compete for National Titles in those sports.  They are a Pac12 school and want to compete with programs like UCLA and Oregon.  The Ivy League is different.  There is a reason they were the first to cancel in the spring and again in the fall.  The Ivy League is also better positioned to weather this as they aren't dependent on basketball or football revenue for their athletic departments.