Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Go Greco!!

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That would be great but unfortunately I don't see it happening. There's nothing wrong with chasing your dreams but so many of our athletes just refuse to see the writing on the wall that they're never going to be the man or make a freestyle team. Now if you don't want to participate in Greco that's understandable but if you're wanting to wrestle on an international stage a lot of them need to realize that Greco is their best/only chance. It would also help if they realize that a lot earlier in their careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

That would be great but unfortunately I don't see it happening. There's nothing wrong with chasing your dreams but so many of our athletes just refuse to see the writing on the wall that they're never going to be the man or make a freestyle team. Now if you don't want to participate in Greco that's understandable but if you're wanting to wrestle on an international stage a lot of them need to realize that Greco is their best/only chance. It would also help if they realize that a lot earlier in their careers.

Have to agree.  A very late start to turn exclusively to greco.  By the time they figure it out, their bodies would have taken a tremendous beating.  In Russia, the coaches separate guys going greco and those going freestyle at around age 10; their entire training is then lasered in on that one discipline.  A guy here starting to focus on just greco at around age 22 or 23 will always be behind the elite foreigners; it's a little easier to transition for heavyweights for technical reasons (Adam Coon), but it's a rare American who does four years of collegiate and then picks up greco and can contend for medals on a consistent basis.  Think of it--Joe Warren's world title was more than a decade ago.

Edited by Coach_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree with all of this...

definitely go greco, but, don't expect results...

you can't just unlearn 10-20 years of muscle memory and you you can't rebuild it either...

coon is a rare example just because he is a mountain of a man and no one will ever be able to take that silver away from him, but, everytyime he wrestles anyone with real talent he gets tossed on his head quickly... i don't see him beating schultz ever again...

but, anyway...

i have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of articles... 

yes, i would love it for any of our high level guys to come over to the real style, but, when they are teenagers... not after they are beat up after college... 

greco should not have to stoop to that...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, LJB said:

i agree with all of this...

definitely go greco, but, don't expect results...

you can't just unlearn 10-20 years of muscle memory and you you can't rebuild it either...

coon is a rare example just because he is a mountain of a man and no one will ever be able to take that silver away from him, but, everytyime he wrestles anyone with real talent he gets tossed on his head quickly... i don't see him beating schultz ever again...

but, anyway...

i have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of articles... 

yes, i would love it for any of our high level guys to come over to the real style, but, when they are teenagers... not after they are beat up after college... 

greco should not have to stoop to that...

 

Based on previous comments, which I agree with, we will have to see how Colton Schultz does with his transitioning from college to greco every spring... Being a hwt the transition may not be a great as a lightweight, but there is still a transition that takes some time getting your feet back under you etc. when you make the change from style to style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bman546 said:

Based on previous comments, which I agree with, we will have to see how Colton Schultz does with his transitioning from college to greco every spring... Being a hwt the transition may not be a great as a lightweight, but there is still a transition that takes some time getting your feet back under you etc. when you make the change from style to style. 

i do not necessarily disagree with you, but, shultz has been very high level in both greco and the stall fest and has been doing this transition since he was about 8...

he won literally everything as a youth in greco and sh!t style...

4 time undefeated state champion sh!t style...

world gold cadet greco...

world bronze junior greco...

and yes, being a heavy the transition is just not that big a deal...

i really wish he had just went greco full time, but, i understand why he didn't...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LJB said:

i do not necessarily disagree with you, but, shultz has been very high level in both greco and the stall fest and has been doing this transition since he was about 8...

he won literally everything as a youth in greco and sh!t style...

4 time undefeated state champion sh!t style...

world gold cadet greco...

world bronze junior greco...

and yes, being a heavy the transition is just not that big a deal...

i really wish he had just went greco full time, but, i understand why he didn't...

 

Your constant disparaging of a wrestling style is really annoying. Let it go and your posts would be readable and worthwhile.  I agree with your general assessment that the folkstyle rules don't do enough to encourage action

You clearly never  competed.  Most wrestlers have a favorite style, but do not disrespect the other styles. There is no one "real" style.Having trained and competed in lots of grappling sports, I see them all as the same sport on a continuation.  Some styles are much better for spectators, it does not mean any other style is sh!t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Your constant disparaging of a wrestling style is really annoying. Let it go and your posts would be readable and worthwhile.  I agree with your general assessment that the folkstyle rules don't do enough to encourage action

You clearly never  competed.  Most wrestlers have a favorite style, but do not disrespect the other styles. There is no one "real" style.Having trained and competed in lots of grappling sports, I see them all as the same sport on a continuation.  Some styles are much better for spectators, it does not mean any other style is sh!t

do you feel better?

man, i sure hope so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...