3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I just think our disagreement (or lack thereof) was finally clarified. I don't have any illusions about a private business always having to act in the best interest of the public. I don't live in a fantasy where that exists. I just don't like the BS that flo uses to cover up that reality. They should be honest and let their contribution to the sport stand on its own merits. Anyone with a brain can see how much better the fan landscape is now compared to 15 years ago. 

in this whiners climate we live in today where everyone has a voice on the gogglewebs and the vocal minority rule the imaginary landscape and can create a seemingly overwhelming echo chamber, they (FLo/pyles/whoever) have to tread somehwat lightly...

it is disgusting to me...

but, again...

pyles nutted up today and called out the whiners for just what they really are...

i am so proud of him for finally getting annoyed enough to drop the corporate speak...

our boy is finally growing up...

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Quality, or quantity?

Both. Just the presence of video coverage alone has improved the landscape tremendously. Even 10 years ago, it was hard to find matches. Now, it's a shocking inconvenience when I can't find video of a match I want to see. Flo was undoubtedly the driver of increased video coverage.

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Both. Just the presence of video coverage alone has improved the landscape tremendously. Even 10 years ago, it was hard to find matches. Now, it's a shocking inconvenience when I can't find video of a match I want to see. Flo was undoubtedly the driver of increased video coverage.

Okay gotcha, I think I misunderstood what you meant by "fan landscape"

i can say in the limited time i have been involved with wrestling, the difference is literally night and day...

from living in caves to bunking in pent house...

i cant imagine trying to follow this sport 30 years ago...

On 7/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, VakAttack said:

Askren is not a Flo employee, he's an independent contractor (according to him) and he's very much a guy who says his own personal beliefs on everything.

Regardless, Flo has never anywhere that I've seen painted themselves as a purely altruistic venture, which of course they aren't, they're not a charity.

And CP pointed out in the interview not just the visits, but the coverage. They had individual conference rankings for every conference. Didn't they do lower division rankings, also? You think those are big money makers? As i posted on the other thread, they also did lengthy conference tournament previews for every conference, which again is not some huge ratings driver for them.

They are a business that also happens to be doing great things for wrestling.

The issue to me isn't Flo's contributions to the sport nor its profit motive, and no one is asking them to resemble a charity. I just dislike how they've positioned themselves such that any critique of Flo is an automatically attack on the sport itself. People who say negative things about Flo get accused of being bad fans or not wanting to grow wrestling, like it's a zero-sum game. ESPN catches a lot of viewer flak but that doesn't mean they hate sports. I just made a post criticizing Stanford, but that doesn't mean I want to end higher education.

IMO, this behavior from Flo is an outgrowth of its whole, "hey, treat us like journalists but don't subject us to journalistic integrity, we're just a private company trying to grow the sport!" The whole lofty "never wrong, ever" approach is just weird and off-putting.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:23 PM, LJB said:

i say that...

but, i remember trying to follow GP racing in this country in the 80s and even 90s...

we were basically using pigeons to get news to each other...

At the end of high school (2002) it was like xmas when WIN Magazine showed up. The anticipation for highlights of ANY wrestling on cable...My Lord, when i hear people complain about the way Flo does business, I just shake my head. CageFighter was one thing. Flo is worth EVERY penny. 

1 minute ago, Yellow_Medal said:

At the end of high school (2002) it was like xmas when WIN Magazine showed up. The anticipation for highlights of ANY wrestling on cable...My Lord, when i hear people complain about the way Flo does business, I just shake my head. CageFighter was one thing. Flo is worth EVERY penny. 

100%...

i remember in 2003 when i first started streaming races live from europe if i got one out of every 10 seconds of motion i went from 6 to midnight...

now, you got the whiniest of all b!tches complaining that they did not get a perfect stream of the owasso open and clamoring for the Flo head quarters to be burned to the ground... 

whiners are gonna whine...

that will never change...

I mean, do you think Fite TV would even have ever wanted to broadcast the Rumble had Flo never existed? I find it hard to believe. I have always looked, and continue to look at my Flo subscription as an investment in the sport's continued coverage. We would not have even HEARD of the Rumble before Flo. Even if they did not "advertise," "promote" it, or do whatever it is people wanted, we owe the fact that we even HEARD about the event in largest part to the spotlight Flo has given our Dear Wrestling. 

8 hours ago, LJB said:

100%...

i remember in 2003 when i first started streaming races live from europe if i got one out of every 10 seconds of motion i went from 6 to midnight...

now, you got the whiniest of all b!tches complaining that they did not get a perfect stream of the owasso open and clamoring for the Flo head quarters to be burned to the ground... 

whiners are gonna whine...

that will never change...

Is it on Flo that you watch those races as well?