XiXiTiger

SIAP - Stanford Dropping 11 Sports incl. Wrestling

Just now, CB said:

Very sad to hear this.  I always heard that all of their programs were fully endowed.

The endowment is fully endowed, but they never touch the trust funds. It’s a dick-swinging talking piece at that level.

6. If donors step forward, can any of these sports retain their varsity status?

The decisions to reduce our sports offerings are final, and any future philanthropic interest in these sports may be directed towards supporting them at the club level, should they establish as a club sport after their 2020-21 varsity campaign.

While Stanford Athletics has many tremendously generous donors, their support simply could not cover the escalating costs of ensuring excellence across the board in our 36-sport model.

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The endowment is fully endowed, but they never touch the trust funds.

What do you mean by that statement?

My understanding is that wrestling has never had a fully funded endowment at Stanford.  Are you simply saying that the endowment fund at Stanford is "large enough"?

Yes, that is what I’m saying. University endowment funds are most easily defined as reserves aka a savings fund at that macro level, and it is my personal opinion that the savings funds should be tapped at times like this. But I’ve worked enough with administrators to develop case studies regarding POAs and deliverables to know better. 

Edited by bnwtwg
Phrasing

Didn't Adeline Grey just move out there as well?  This is horrible.  I live nearby and I am heartbroken, especially since they have so much potential this upcoming season.  Where do all the guys go?  Where does Abas go?  

Used to have a kid who was a Spartan fan, but would order Stanford 'S' stuff(that didn't have the tree) because his favorite color was red.

Bring 'em all to East Lansing.  I'd be overjoyed.  Still get to have a gigantic 'S' for your logo. :)

44 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

Didn't Adeline Grey just move out there as well?  This is horrible.  I live nearby and I am heartbroken, especially since they have so much potential this upcoming season.  Where do all the guys go?  Where does Abas go?  

There's going to be a lot of suitors for Woods, Abas, and Griffith.  Probably for Traxler and DiSario too.

How does Stanford decide it cannot afford wrestling or anything else? Obviously, it has the money. But just as obviously the wrestling team loses money-- but so does the English department.

And of course they knew this long before now but waited till the students would feel pretty much compelled to go there this year. Maybe it'll work out like liked Brown did. The students and lawyers will figure out that they knew they were going to cut the program and still were recruiting and file a lawsuit. I'm anti lawsuit for frivolous purposes but in this case the admin knew they were going to cut the sport and they still kept letting the coaches recruit and make plans as if they were going to be there. **** them

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Penn State to suck those three up like a hoover.

Oh my.  Wrestlestat has Penn State winning, with Woods at 149 and Griffith at 165, by a score of 18-12.  That isn't factoring in that a healthy Kerk defeats Cass handily(currently has Cass winning 13-6)...

Edited by nhs67