Sign in to follow this  
HenDog

Howe vs. Taylor

Good chance these two will be at the same wt. next year. What are the thoughts on this match if Howe is 100% healthy. Might be crazy that one of these two will be only a 1 time champion. If Howe goes 174, Howe vs. Brown will be a good one too.

Good chance these two will be at the same wt. next year. What are the thoughts on this match if Howe is 100% healthy. Might be crazy that one of these two will be only a 1 time champion. If Howe goes 174, Howe vs. Brown will be a good one too.

I'm a huge PSU fan, and like Matt Brown being recognized but uh...NCAA 174 champ Perry is also returning. 174 will be a crazy weight class next year. Evans, Storley, Kokesh, Heflin, Yates, Munster, Nate Brown...all back.

I'm a huge PSU fan, and like Matt Brown being recognized but uh...NCAA 174 champ Perry is also returning. 174 will be a crazy weight class next year. Evans, Storley, Kokesh, Heflin, Yates, Munster, Nate Brown...all back.

I just fell asleep reading all those names...

PS. Heflin is going 197

I just fell asleep reading all those names...

PS. Heflin is going 197

Good. Keep the money for your Ambien prescription in your pocket.

Howe could give Taylor problems. Tough to take down, tough to ride, physical and although he doesn't shoot much, finishes his shots very well.

I don't think he can ride Taylor like Dake did though. Should be a good match...

I don't think Howe is as bad a match-up for Taylor as Dake.

Howe is tough to score on, just like Dake...but the huge difference is Dake's athletic ability. I think that Taylor has an easier time in folkstyle with Howe than he did with Dake.

However, I do not think these two will be at the same weight class next season. I really hope I am wrong though! Seeing Taylor go up to 174 would be awesome :D (not gonna happen though.

I expect a couple of those guys to move up, with QW and Killer gone.

I think they should be more concerned about Ruth if they're looking to move up...

I think you are going to see A LOT of guys skip over 184 if they decide to move up and make the immediate jump to 197. No one is touching Ruth next year. 197 is going to be fairly wide open. 184 is locked down.

If Howe had been competing this year Dake would have been at 157 or Dake and Taylor would be competing for 2nd & 3rd. My guess is Howe will be at 174 next year if not 184.

:shock:

If Howe had been competing this year Dake would have been at 157 or Dake and Taylor would be competing for 2nd & 3rd. My guess is Howe will be at 174 next year if not 184.

I like Howe but that is just silly. Remember, he lost to Tyler Caldwell who never came close to Dake or Taylor. And don't give me this injury excuse, all guys are banged up at this stage. Howe would have been 3rd or 4th, as he already lost to Caldwell. If he goes 174 next year, he has a great chance to win it. At 184, Ruth would work him.

I like Howe but that is just silly. Remember, he lost to Tyler Caldwell who never came close to Dake or Taylor. And don't give me this injury excuse, all guys are banged up at this stage. Howe would have been 3rd or 4th, as he already lost to Caldwell. If he goes 174 next year, he has a great chance to win it. At 184, Ruth would work him.

It's not an excuse he was injured.

It's not an excuse he was injured.

After the loss, he came back and won 2 matches to finish 3rd. Couldn't have been that beat up.

He had a fully torn quad 4 weeks before the NCAA tournaments that is generally a season ending injury and quite often requires surgery. The only time that Taylor and Dake have wrestled Howe has been in Freestyle and each of those times Howe has won the matches convincingly.

He had a fully torn quad 4 weeks before the NCAA tournaments that is generally a season ending injury and quite often requires surgery. The only time that Taylor and Dake have wrestled Howe has been in Freestyle and each of those times Howe has won the matches convincingly.

I'm not getting into the freestyle vs. folkstyle comparison, but you have to wrestle on the mat. Dake would ride him like a mule, just as he has everyone else. Howe likes to slow it down, and we've seen what happens to guys (minus Dake) who try to do that with Taylor. Howe likes to come forward, Taylor would create angles and score a couple takedowns. Again, Howe goes 174 next year he wins, 165 and 184 he doesn't. Book it.

I think Howe is a very talented wrestler.

But regarding freestyle, Dake destroyed Taylor and then beat him 2-1 in OT, 3-2 and 5-4 on a riding point in collegiate.

It is not a proper gauge as to what happens in a folkstyle match.

I'm not getting into the freestyle vs. folkstyle comparison, but you have to wrestle on the mat. Dake would ride him like a mule, just as he has everyone else. Howe likes to slow it down, and we've seen what happens to guys (minus Dake) who try to do that with Taylor. Howe likes to come forward, Taylor would create angles and score a couple takedowns. Again, Howe goes 174 next year he wins, 165 and 184 he doesn't. Book it.

I agree with you on 184 and I hope you're right on 165 but I'm favoring Howe in the matchup.

RecHall - Howe being injured can't be mentioned because he came back to take third? Isn't that a juxtaposition of what was being said from the PSU side in regards to Amuch beating Ruth? How did that work out for Ruth and Amuchi the second time around? Howe is a solid athlete and will be in the mix. (Mobile)

RecHall - Howe being injured can't be mentioned because he came back to take third? Isn't that a juxtaposition of what was being said from the PSU side in regards to Amuch beating Ruth? How did that work out for Ruth and Amuchi the second time around? Howe is a solid athlete and will be in the mix. (Mobile)

I never once said Howe wouldn't be in the mix. He wins 174. He would be the runner up at 165 and 184. That's in the mix. I just don't think he'd beat Taylor in folkstyle, let alone Ruth. Sorry if that offends anyone.

The only time that Taylor and Dake have wrestled Howe has been in Freestyle and each of those times Howe has won the matches convincingly.

Beyond the ad nauseum debate about free vs. folk, remember that the time that Howe and Dake met was in 2011 at University Nationals, just a few weeks after Dake won the 149 lb title. I'm sure Dake pigged out to bulk up a bit but his frame looked nothing like the 165 lb Dake we saw yesterday.

Plus here's the score: Andrew Howe dec Kyle Dake 3-1, 1-2, 1-0. Solid win but not exactly domination.

I think Andrew Howe is a great wrestler but let's not assume that he would blow Dake away if they wrestled today, injuries or not.

When they wrestled in freestyle, how many TDs did Taylor get vs Howe?

Howe dominated Taylor with 3 takedowns to 0 in freestyle, but Taylor is really good on the mat. I think it could go either way but Taylor by 2. I will be surprised if Howe is ever back to where he was this past summer when he pushed burroughs to the end. He has had some major injuries the last 3 years. Anybody who thinks Howe was 50% at the NCAA's 3 years ago against Caldwell is crazy. That was a 6 month injury when he came back in two.

The big wildcard here is Howe's injury. Without seeing him today, it is impossible for any of us to determine how he might fare against Taylor. The unfortunate reality is that many a wrestling career has effectively ended with injury, in spite of the undeniable underlying talent and commitment to rehab of the guys in question. Given the severity of the injury, it is not out of the question at all that Howe may never be the same again. Given how much time off how he has had and how much hard work he has likely exerted to rehab, it is also not out of the question that Howe is exactly where he was pre-injury. It's a total wildcard and we won't know until he sets foot on the mat again.