Aviator12

Real Woods and Shane Griffith

In regard to the program being dropped, is the school still honoring scholarships for athletes for school? If you are Woods, Eischens, Griffith as young guys with 3 years remaining but would have the school honor your scholarship, would you leave? Wrestling doesn’t last forever but a Stanford degree would.

5 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

I can see Griifith coming Home and ending up at Princeton if he can get in

He got into Stanford which is similar to the Ivy League academically, plus he is a high level athlete,  My GUESS is he gets in.

3 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

In regard to the program being dropped, is the school still honoring scholarships for athletes for school? If you are Woods, Eischens, Griffith as young guys with 3 years remaining but would have the school honor your scholarship, would you leave? Wrestling doesn’t last forever but a Stanford degree would.

Stanford is honoring their scholarships. I would definitely stay and get that degree, but then again I thought Joey McKenna and Jason Tsirtsis (different circumstances, I know) should have stuck around.

What I'm not sure of is whether Stanford, ODU, etc. will honor scholarships if a kid decides to take a gap year next year. Berkeley, for example, seems to be making it difficult for students to take a gap year - probably to mitigate an enrollment disaster or high school seniors from deferring their admissions. The Chancellor put out a statement saying something to the effect of: you can request a gap year, but by doing so you are technically withdrawing from the university and won't be allowed back until you are readmitted. I could see some schools revoking the scholarship of an athlete in a discontinued sport if the kid decides take a gap year (withdraw).

Princeton would be a logical choice but does the Griffith family really want their kid spending time in the same room and environment as Pat Downey.  Sure he may bring levity and diverse views to the team and program but I would certainly pause if I were them knowing he promotes recreational drug use and sex shaming women on social media.

Being around the Princeton University + program = plus.  Being around that RTC without them filtering by ethics = concern.  Saying that as a Humphrey fan, he seems like a dynamic individual.

I hire quite a bit.  At this point, your undergrad is nearly meaningless.  There are community college kids that are more effective and productive than the ivy kids, and I've proven the theory thru my hires.  Woods and Griffith should go where it makes sense for them.  So long as they have ethic (most wrestlers do), they will be just fine in their job hunts, assuming that's the path.  

40 minutes ago, Bronco said:

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

Real Woods in transfer portal. Good for him and screw Stanford.

I realize that Woods has to do what Woods wants and has to do....I just hope that he realizes that by transferring early like this he may be putting the nail in the coffin as far as saving the program. When the a face of the team leaves, it doesn't help the cause. He also may be just doing it as a contingency to see what happens with Stanford in the next month. Griffin seemed to "trust his coaches" in trying to get the program back. 

Edited by Idaho

50 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I realize that Woods has to do what Woods wants and has to do....I just hope that he realizes that by transferring early like this he may be putting the nail in the coffin as far as saving the program. When the a face of the team leaves, it doesn't help the cause. He also may be just doing it as a contingency to see what happens with Stanford in the next month. Griffin seemed to "trust his coaches" in trying to get the program back. 

Stanford doesn't want wrestling to be saved and its not about money despite what they say.

40 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Stanford doesn't want wrestling to be saved and its not about money despite what they say.

You are probably right, but I won't undermine the efforts of coaches and athletes to save the program...encouraging a fight to save the program is what we all need to do - resigning to defeat is what Stanford wants. 

1 hour ago, DocBZ said:

What do you think it’s about?  I think it’s about money.  They did contradict themselves by putting a number on it ($200 million) but then said even if they get it they wouldn’t bring these sports back.

But I kinda think if they got the $200 million that they’d bring them back. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, ShakaAloha said:

Wasn't Palacio was a JC transfer?

Most of Cornell's wrestlers are "JC transfers" (Finger Lakes Community College) IIRC.  That's how they skirt the redshirt rules in the Ivy League.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:35 AM, Idaho said:

You are probably right, but I won't undermine the efforts of coaches and athletes to save the program...encouraging a fight to save the program is what we all need to do - resigning to defeat is what Stanford wants. 

Maybe he wants to be able to focus on his training rather than a fight to save the program. He already has had one year stolen from him-he deserves to be able to focus on his own success. Stanford abandoned him, not the other way around. The job to save the program sits with the alumni-that’s who will have to raise the money and lobby the administration-not the current athletes. If the athletes want to stay-that’s great. If not, that’s ok too.

Edited by Billyhoyle