CoachWrestling

Over/under 9.5 D1 wrestling teams cut

6 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Doubtful.  But reducing the size and speed of the impacts might.

Football grew out of rugby.  Rugby is more or less played today the same way it was 150 years ago.  They manage somehow.  

Because in rugby if you commit an illegal tackle you are thrown in the sin bin, or out of the match, or can even be suspended for the following match. Sevens is going to continue it's rapid upward trajectory so I recommend you all hop on the bandwagon yesterday

Interesting that Men's Rugby is #1 and women's Rugby not mentioned.

Side note Football family includes three Genera Gridiron Football, Rugby type Football, Soccer Football

Species within the genera:

Gridiron:

12 person-- Canadian

11 Person-  Standard USA

9 Person

8 Person

6 Perspn

Flag or Touch

XX?

Rugby type

15 person

7 person

Australian Rules

Irish Rules

XX?

Soccer type

11 person full size pitch

fewer persons and smaller pitch

XXX?

On 7/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

You will likely see many of the following dropped sadly

Davidson

Campbell

Chattanooga 

SIUE

Ohio

Kent St

Cleveland St

Edinboro

Cal Bakersfield

Cal Poly

Northern Colorado

Buffalo

Bloomsburg 

George Mason

Clarion

i also predict we lose 1 or more that we would put into the Safe category. A few candidates I see possibly are

SDSU, NDSU, Oregon St, Lock Haven, NCST and UNC. There will be some more shockers before this is over

I heard a rumor about 4-5 years ago that once Bruce retires,  you may see the DI teams that are DII in other sports in PA  reclassify to D2 in wrestling as well.   Seems he was a major factor in keeping a lot of these teams together and  at the DI level.    I thinkg Northern Colorado would be a bit of a shock to drop  as they have a pretty solid fan base of supporters, but anymore nothing is surprising.   They west of Colorado lack of opportunities in general worry me.   1 DIII west of Lincoln, Ne and that is Pacific in Oregon (not sure how they have held on this long especially with Oregon and Portland State having axed in the past).   DII is very slim west of Colorado too.  SFSU  and Simon Fraser (in British Columbia)  are the only D2 teams in the Pacific time zone.   3 total for NCAA (non d1).  NJCAA has 5  out West, but in the Northwest where they are trying to convince wrestling to become part of the GWAC which is a 3-4 state grouping that doesn't go to NJCAA or CACC.  They have their own championships (this may be fine for other sports....but some admins are trying to convince their coaches that it would be good and that they in turn could compete for GWAC, and on to NCWA potentially if they wanted national exposure.   

Go the the NWCA map,  click on the divisions to  see how empty some places are.   https://portal.nwcaonline.com/aspx/ProgramsMap

Is Mizzou safe? They run over a million dollar budget deficit every year, with a marginal fan base. Being in the SEC, they won't cut baseball, and with no wrestling in the conference I worry that will be the logical choice if budget cuts have to be made.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, RichB said:

Interesting that Men's Rugby is #1 and women's Rugby not mentioned.

Side note Football family includes three Genera Gridiron Football, Rugby type Football, Soccer Football

Species within the genera:

Gridiron:

12 person-- Canadian

11 Person-  Standard USA

9 Person

8 Person

6 Perspn

Flag or Touch

XX?

Rugby type

15 person

7 person

Australian Rules

Irish Rules

XX?

Soccer type

11 person full size pitch

fewer persons and smaller pitch

XXX?

For rugby, Union is 15-a-side, while League (nowhere near as popular or common as Union) is 13-a-side. You'll also have folks playing 10s, when they can't scratch up 15 per team, but have more than 7-a-side.