PSUSMC

B1G Conference Football

The Big 10 announced the cancellation of all non-conference games. 

Most of those are the first few weeks of the season (although Wisci-ND was to be Oct 3rd). 

Reasoning, the conference states is, "... By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic."

45 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

The Big 10 announced the cancellation of all non-conference games. 

Most of those are the first few weeks of the season (although Wisci-ND was to be Oct 3rd). 

Reasoning, the conference states is, "... By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic."

I have been expecting the major conferences to do this.  Much easier to the control testing protocol and standards regarding how to handle positives plus the schedule flexibility issues.  Would think wrestling should plan for similar, only conference duals after Jan 1, maybe only 1 tournament if possible pre conference.

Edited by ionel

Not just football. All fall sports (MXC, WXC, WFH, FB, MSOC, WSOC, WVB) are included.

And that's only "if the Conference is able to participate in fall sports...based on medical advice", which means there's another larger domino still out there.

51 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I was thinking the Ivies consider similar. Just an Ivy schedule. My reasoning for this was that at least as we speak now the Ivy states are in better shape than the rest.

Remember back when the Ivy League was the first to cancel their basketball tournament?  Basketball and football aren't even close to the top of their priorities.  

59 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I was thinking the Ivies consider similar. Just an Ivy schedule. My reasoning for this was that at least as we speak now the Ivy states are in better shape than the rest.

Illinois is in good shape

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Remember back when the Ivy League was the first to cancel their basketball tournament?  Basketball and football aren't even close to the top of their priorities.  

That's true, but Ivy League may not be the most reliable bellwether. Institutionally, their risk sensitivity is a bit different from say, the B1G which is almost entirely comprised of public universities.

Smaller schools playing a B1G team in non-conference football game is usually for a program sustaining payout.  Example would be UNI and Iowa I believe.  How many others are there?  Could put wrestling at risk at a school like that.

25 minutes ago, Class said:

Smaller schools playing a B1G team in non-conference football game is usually for a program sustaining payout.  Example would be UNI and Iowa I believe.  How many others are there?  Could put wrestling at risk at a school like that.

Central Michigan would be a good example. They're going to lose out on over $2 million by not having games against Nebraska and Northwestern this fall. That, on top of the fact that they just cut 2 men's sports and somehow got a waiver just to remain in Division 1.

The Pac-12 just cancelled its fall nonconference too, which isn’t surprising. No USC - Notre Dame, Stanford - Notre Dame, Utah - BYU or CU - Colorado St.I think SC also had Alabama on its football schedule, that’s too bad. SEC, ACC and Big12 are going to make a decision by the end of the month. I wonder what ND’s football schedule will end up looking like. BYU too.

The ACC will prop up ND, due to their partnership in the other sports.

BYU has already lost 5 games. They're probably hosed unless they can play some teams twice, or join up with other schools that have lost a bunch of games.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, ISUChip said:

Central Michigan would be a good example. They're going to lose out on over $2 million by not having games against Nebraska and Northwestern this fall. That, on top of the fact that they just cut 2 men's sports and somehow got a waiver just to remain in Division 1.

Smaller schools are starting to seek compensation for the cancelled buy games, since they are a huge revenue source that keeps many FCS programs afloat. I assume most of these contracts have a force majeure (act of god) clause. I wonder if a global health pandemic like covid would count as some sort of an unforeseen and uncontrollable event. The other aspect is whether actually having the contracted game would cause an unreasonable hardship for either team - those FCS programs are asking why Rutgers for example would be able to get out of their game with Monmouth like an hour away, but travel all the way to Nebraska for a conference game. Maybe this will be much ado about nothing if football is cancelled though.

The pendulum on fall sports/no fall sports might start swinging the other way. The Pac-12 is proposing a 9 or 10 game, 14 week conference-only football schedule that starts on Sept 19. The extra weeks are for byes and additional padding for virus-related cancellations. The conference has secured venue rights for a championship game on one of two weekends in December in Vegas but it’s unclear whether it will be included on the schedule.

The revised fall sports schedule is going out to the member presidents & chancellors next week, and the Pac is expected to announce its conference-only sports dates thereafter. 

If this happens, maybe the other P5 conferences will be more inclined to have a similar modified fall sports schedule, which means bowl games (if they happen at all), which furthers a domino-like effect.

It will really be pathetic if there is a college football season in the fall. I have defended the fact that college athletes do not get paid for years because of the value of education. But to directly put these guys/their families at risk, along with the support staff, when they’re not getting paid would be an absolute low.

A simple solution is to just move it to the spring. By then, it’s 99% certain that there will be an effective vaccine. Yes, draft eligible guys like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields will likely opt out, but college football has always been more about the teams than actual star players. 

It will really be pathetic if there is a college football season in the fall. I have defended the fact that college athletes do not get paid for years because of the value of education. But to directly put these guys/their families at risk, along with the support staff, when they’re not getting paid would be an absolute low.
A simple solution is to just move it to the spring. By then, it’s 99% certain that there will be an effective vaccine. Yes, draft eligible guys like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields will likely opt out, but college football has always been more about the teams than actual star players. 
The football players are getting paid. The game itself is more dangerous than covid 19. Way more dangerous.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

In case you weren’t sure before, MLB has proven that there is no chance that college sports will happen prior to a vaccine.

MLB does ‘t seem to be taking “bubble” type approach that the NBA is attempting. I believe most teams secluded players at or near their stadiums during the pre-season 2.0, but have dropped that approach when the season began. Obviously attempting to  limit college students movements would be a futile effort. 

4 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

MLB does ‘t seem to be taking “bubble” type approach that the NBA is attempting. I believe most teams secluded players at or near their stadiums during the pre-season 2.0, but have dropped that approach when the season began. Obviously attempting to  limit college students movements would be a futile effort. 

Yes, exactly.  I think the NBA will succeed.  MLB might be cancelled or they might keep trying to make it work, but there is no chance that unpaid college athletes will compete under these circumstances.

We may wind up with more damaging floods here in Nebraska if football is cancelled!   If you have never been in Lincoln on a game day...they are insanely nuts about their college football.  Huge passion.  But at least this year they can blame no bowl game on COVID!

21 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Yes, exactly.  I think the NBA will succeed.  MLB might be cancelled or they might keep trying to make it work, but there is no chance that unpaid college athletes will compete under these circumstances.

The NBA....A player gets permission to leave the bubble to go to a funeral. Of course no company is going to tell an employee that you can't attend a relatives funeral. While gone the player goes to a strip club! Nothing helps me get through the grieving process like titties in my face! Just sayin