BTC

Darrin Caldwell is back

I expect pletcher to get pinned in something wild 

Did you pick Askren over Burroughs as well? 8 years of no wrestling is not good prep for beating the top seed at the NCAA championships. Have a little respect for how hard it is to be a great wrestler.

27 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Did you pick Askren over Burroughs as well? 8 years of no wrestling is not good prep for beating the top seed at the NCAA championships. Have a little respect for how hard it is to be a great wrestler.

To be fair, after a 6 year layoff that same Askren did beat Quentin Wright the same year he WON NCAAs. It’s possible, Caldwell is in shape and he’s a freak. Stylistically unlike anyone pletcher wrestled this year. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

No I didn’t because askren is 35 and has a gut, Also that’s a terrible example your comparing wrestling an Olympic champ to Luke pletcher, Caldwell is one of the top belator fighters still, younger and in much better shape then askren probably has ever been and at no time did pletcher ever reach the levels Caldwell has in wrestling 

Edited by Antitroll2828

34 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No I didn’t because askren is 35 and has a gut, Also that’s a terrible example your comparing wrestling an Olympic champ to Luke pletcher, Caldwell is one of the top belator fighters still, younger and in much better shape then askren probably has ever been and at no time did pletcher ever reach the levels Caldwell has in wrestling 

Askrens lace might be better than his gut.

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think a Caldwell/Askren comparison is pretty fair.

But Burroughs/Pletcher isn’t.  Sorry Luke

Caldwell is and has always been a superior athlete and has been training full time with no breaks his whole life, askren was way out of shape and had retired from fighting for a year before his ufc debut and match against Burroughs  

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Caldwell is and has always been a superior athlete and has been training full time with no breaks his whole life, askren was way out of shape and had retired from fighting for a year before his ufc debut and match against Burroughs  

Askren was more accomplished as a wrestler and arguably moreso in MMA than Caldwell.  The match against Burroughs was in between his fight against Lawler and Masvidal.  He’s a smart guy, I’m pretty sure  he wouldn’t take fights in the UFC if he was out of shape.

What year is it?  I feel like it’s 2008 again with conversations about Caldwell/Metcalf and people saying Ben Askren is out of shape.

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

No one would care if not for the bizarre physical matchup...which interests me intensely.

I would like to see Pletcher vs Degen in this respect. 4'10 vs 10'4 

Caldwell hasn't wrestled a match in 8 years, and the last time he competed, he DNP at the final Olympic Trials qualifier. The heights he once reached have nothing to do with his wrestling now. It doesn't matter if he was better at his peak than Pletcher if that peak was nearly a decade ago. I haven't seen him wrestle since then, so who knows what will happen, but picking him to win because of stuff that happened that long ago doesn't make sense. It takes a lot more than "being in shape" to compete with a national champ level wrestler ten years younger than you.

Things Caldwell hasn't been training for:

1. Defending turns

2. Staying in the circle

3. Defending wrestling shots

4. Handfighting

5. Shooting on someone in a stance

It’s definitely an intriguing match because we all know how great Caldwell was/could’ve been. He completely dominated one of the most dominant NCAA wrestlers in recent history. He is an incredible athlete and if he is in good enough shape, I think he would win. But that’s a big if. I doubt he is in good enough wrestling shape to compete at a high level for the whole match. Fighting shape isn’t wrestling shape. Also an interesting match stylistically... Caldwells know for being unorthodox and Pletcher stays in very good position. I’m thinking that’s bad for DC.

27 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Fantasy match up would be Pletcher as a 106 in high school vs Matt Anderson from Lehigh, who i was told was a 6 foot state champion at 103....

What a Saturday morning name drop....He was definitely 6ft at 103 but it was his sophomore year when he won it, pretty wild that year the whole arena seemed to be rooting for his opponent (Ivan Wiggins) but Anderson pulled it out, then 2 years later the whole place seemed to be rooting for Anderson and he lost (Bob Stinson), and I believe in between he lost in the finals to joe Dubuque..by the far the tallest 103 or 112 pounder I have every seen 

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

What a Saturday morning name drop....He was definitely 6ft at 103 but it was his sophomore year when he won it, pretty wild that year the whole arena seemed to be rooting for his opponent (Ivan Wiggins) but Anderson pulled it out, then 2 years later the whole place seemed to be rooting for Anderson and he lost (Bob Stinson), and I believe in between he lost in the finals to joe Dubuque..by the far the tallest 103 or 112 pounder I have every seen 

Stinson might not have been much taller than Pletcher too

On 7/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, IronChef said:

I’m taking the guy who’s been training to wrestle. I expect Pletcher to get multiple push outs.

Especially if Caldwell starts doing back flips... Maybe that was Metcalf's plan for a last second attempt to score points with a push out

19 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I can't confirm he was six foot but he was up there