Sign in to follow this  
rodneydeeeee

Penn State after 2014

Where are we in regards to everything?

Obviously with Frank graduating last year, Q gone this year, and the departure of Ruth and DT next year, things are looking a bit not so great. Sure we'll have Nico back, as well as Matt Brown for another year, but... Recruiting last year wasn't great outside of Gulibon. This year our only real addition is Zain Retherford who isn't a point scoring machine by any means.

FT? OldMarine? Hurrican? What are your thoughts? Obviously if we can somehow reel in Chance, that change the entire picture. But as of right now, that's a distinct possibility. He's flirting with MMA if wrestling doesn't come back for 2020.

I know it's far out, after next year it's looking like:

125 Nico

133 Jimmy Guil

141 Conaway?

149 Zain

157 Andrew A

165 Dylan A

174 Brown

184 McCutecheon

197 Mcintosh

Hwy Haines (not convinced with him at all)

That team is a far cry from our projected team this year that won by a slim margin of 4 points

Im not so worried.

While Losing Taylor and Ruth is going to hurt like no other ( :cry: ) I think PSU will be fine.

They will bring it the talent they need to continue to compete, without a doubt.

You're a PA kid...where else would you want to be in college right now?

PS. I got a feeling that PSU will have a Chance at a top recruit next year ;)

Im not so worried.

While Losing Taylor and Ruth is going to hurt like no other ( :cry: ) I think PSU will be fine.

They will bring it the talent they need to continue to compete, without a doubt.

You're a PA kid...where else would you want to be in college right now?

PS. I got a feeling that PSU will have a Chance at a top recruit next year ;)

I believe we have as good a chance as any, if not more, of reeling in Chance. I'm just not sure if college is truly in his plans.

I think Gulibon is going to be really good. After a year in the room, I expect him to be in the mix next year. Retherford will be solid. He won't be the bonus point machine of Taylor or Ruth, but he has AA potential written all over him. Haines has a chance to be a special Hwt. If you look at the winners today,they are smaller and more athletic. Haines with an additional 15-20 lbs, working with Varner and some of the Olympic development candidates might become a force. Matt Brown and McIntosh will be formidable. The key will be whether the Alton's can step up and become leaders of the team.

I think Gulibon is going to be really good. After a year in the room, I expect him to be in the mix next year. Retherford will be solid. He won't be the bonus point machine of Taylor or Ruth, but he has AA potential written all over him. Haines has a chance to be a special Hwt. If you look at the winners today,they are smaller and more athletic. Haines with an additional 15-20 lbs, working with Varner and some of the Olympic development candidates might become a force. Matt Brown and McIntosh will be formidable. The key will be whether the Alton's can step up and become leaders of the team.

I agree fully once Gulibon gets a year in the room and realizes he can beat anyone he has all the ability to be really good. If Steiber goes up to 41 Gulibon should be in the mix and definately an AA prospect. I hope the Altons can refocus in the off season and come back strong next year!

The key will be whether the Alton's can step up and become leaders of the team.

I believe you nailed it right here.

My highschool coach always said everyone was a leader, effectiveness just depended on which way you were leading people

The team will be solid no doubt.

125: Megaludis

133: Guilbon

141: Retherford

149: A. Alton / Recruit (can A. Alton hold, doesn't look to be that big)

157: D. Alton

165: Chance Marstellar (hopefully. Been wearing a lot of PSU gear around lately)

174: Brown / Phipps

184: McCutcheon / Phipps / Brown

197: McIntosh

HWT: Lawson / Haines

I love the way Conaway wrestles but I'm not sure he can crack the lineup with Guilbon or Retherford there. He isn't big enough for 141 anyway. He has a better shot at 125 if Megaludis wants to redshirt.

The team will be solid no doubt.

125: Megaludis

133: Guilbon

141: Retherford

149: A. Alton / Recruit (can A. Alton hold, doesn't look to be that big)

157: D. Alton

165: Chance Marstellar (hopefully. Been wearing a lot of PSU gear around lately)

174: Brown / Phipps

184: McCutcheon / Phipps / Brown

197: McIntosh

HWT: Lawson / Haines

That above in bold looks REALLY nice.

Put Luke Frey in at 149 instead of Andrew Alton.

That's silly. Alton was still 26-6 on the year. He disappointed at the end of the year but he's a much better choice than Frey. What was frey's record this year?

That's silly. Alton was still 26-6 on the year. He disappointed at the end of the year but he's a much better choice than Frey. What was frey's record this year?

Alton may be better, but I don't care. I want someone who WANTS to be out there and give it there all. Alton is way more talented than Matt Brown, and we seen what determination, will, and striving to get better did. I would LOVE to have Andrew and Dylan back competing like we know they can, but this year was disastrious. Don't let the 26-6 record fool ya. The 6 losses were UGLY.

I don't know if either Alton has the length to excel at 165. They look like their arm-spans/reach isn't much. They may need to stay at 149 and 157.

I like what RecHall has listed (and I'd like to be in the actual RecHall at Penn State when the 2013 NCAA Championship Banner is unveiled! - sadly, I haven't been there since Feb 2010 - Michigan dual).

With Brooks Black at Illinois, maybe Penn State has a shot at Nick Nevills (I'm sure Coach Tirapelle would like to see him in the Big 10 - and not at Iowa!)?

He'd be a great fit at heavy. Very athletic, intelligent and could do well under that kind of coaching. His brother is at Stanford, so maybe he stays West. But with McIntosh at Penn State, and all the bandwagon PSU t and sweatshirts I see at tournaments out here, there's definitely a possible pipeline growing - and they all can't end up with Perry at Illinois (Delgado Gilroy, Reyes Clovis West, Martinez Lemoore)

Marstellar would be excellent in Happy Valley, too.

NLWC has World Team members and a recent Olympic Gold. That should be attractive for what he wants to accomplish.

And 3 straight NCAA championships, regardless of what happens next season, will carry a lot of weight. Multi-time finalists up and down the line-up is a great selling point.

McCutcheon has stated that he'll be a college 184. We'll see when he hits the college weights. At least for now, that's the plan.

Altons do NOT need to be team leaders, only wrestle to their capabilities. Ruth and Taylor will be team leaders next year. Brown and Nico also have team captain written all over them. When you have a national finalist who is in Army ROTC (Brown), you aren't in need of team leaders.

McCutcheon has stated that he'll be a college 184. We'll see when he hits the college weights. At least for now, that's the plan.

Altons do NOT need to be team leaders, only wrestle to their capabilities. Ruth and Taylor will be team leaders next year. Brown and Nico also have team captain written all over them. When you have a national finalist who is in Army ROTC (Brown), you aren't in need of team leaders.

For Brown, having a 3.97 GPA isn't too shabby either.

We are talking after next year, not next year

Funny, much as I'm a PSU fan, I didn't know Matt Brown was Elite 89, 3.97 GPA, and ROTC, as well.

How impressive is that!

I recall Stephen Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers" talking about the first recorded casualty in D-Day. I don't remember his name, but he was Airborne NCO; before the war, he was the starting fullback for University of Wisconsin; he was part-Cherokee; he killed something like 40 of the enemy with his bare hands before he was KIA. His commanding officer told the general, "I'm just glad he's on our side."

Alton may be better, but I don't care. I want someone who WANTS to be out there and give it there all. Alton is way more talented than Matt Brown, and we seen what determination, will, and striving to get better did. I would LOVE to have Andrew and Dylan back competing like we know they can, but this year was disastrious. Don't let the 26-6 record fool ya. The 6 losses were UGLY.

I agree. I have bragged about Andrew Alton for years now, had him for a finalist at 149 this year before the season started. Something needs to be "fixed" with him before next year. Watched all his televised matches his true freshman year, he showed much more determination and desire then. He was awesome on the bottom position, this year he just laid there sucking wind and did nothing. I also don't remember him giving up many if any back points that year or getting pinned just from memory. Plus he was tough to take down then also. This year he was on his back a bit and many lesser guys took him down. Maybe it seems people are being too hard on him, but I disagree.

You see guys like Mega, Taylor, Ruth, Conaway show much more passion in there then him. You're skills can only take you so far. He obviously lost his fire to train and get better. Hopefully this experience has taught him something and he comes back stronger than ever next year.