Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Article on Shane Griffith

Good article - thanks for sharing. I hope that their efforts work and that they save the program. With the dropping of 11 sports do they meet the minimum requirement still? I am assuming they do. If they save wrestling (financially) will Stanford then have to save a women's program to be Title IX compliant?  I was under the impression that even with financial backing the school would not bring the sports back in an official capacity? I would hope that if Admin sees the devotion to wrestling that they would reconsider their position on this. Is there a petition out there? 

I still say that these guys could wrestle next year, take summer school in 2021, graduate in December 2021, then transfer having only missed.a semester of wrestling. You still get 1.5 seasons to compete only missing a semester and you get your Stanford degree. 

Yes, they have no problem with the minimum.  They had a ridiculous number of sports sponsored at Stanford (and still do).    According to the Stanford athletics website they sponsor 16 men's sports and 20 women's sports.   Eliminating 11 of those sports would bring the number down to 25 I believe.

I can understand why they felt the need to eliminate some sports - truly I do - however cutting the wrestling program is NOT one of the sports they should even be thinking of cutting.  Especially since Stanford won their very first PAC 10/PAC 12 wrestling championship just one year ago (2019).

23 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Yes, they have no problem with the minimum.  They had a ridiculous number of sports sponsored at Stanford (and still do).    According to the Stanford athletics website they sponsor 16 men's sports and 20 women's sports.   Eliminating 11 of those sports would bring the number down to 25 I believe.

I can understand why they felt the need to eliminate some sports - truly I do - however cutting the wrestling program is NOT one of the sports they should even be thinking of cutting.  Especially since Stanford won their very first PAC 10/PAC 12 wrestling championship just one year ago (2019).

Yep - and they were heading in the right direction with youth and talent. Getting 5-6 to the NCAA and 3 on the podium would have given them a great finish. 

Stanford is dropping the following men's and women's sports AFTER the 2020-2021 school year:

Men's Sports

Men's Rowing

Men's Volleyball

Men's Wrestling

Women's Sports

Field Hockey

Women's Sailing

Squash

Synchronized Swimming

Lightweight Rowing

Co-Ed sport

Co-ed Sailing

Yet they are keeping these Men's and Women's sports:  Men's gymnastics, Women's Beach Volleyball, Women's Gymnastics, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Rowing and Women's Water Polo.  ONE of those five women's sports SHOULD have been cut instead of cutting the wrestling team. Particularly either Beach Volleyball or Rowing.

By way of comparison Oregon sponsors 7 men's sports and 11 women's sports for a total of 18 sports overall.   Boise State was sponsoring that same number (7 & 11) until they (ridiculously) chose to drop the brand new men's baseball team and the women's swimming & diving teams earlier this month.

11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Does lightweight rowing refer to the weight of the skiff or the participants? 

Neither: It's the intellectual ability of the participants.

BTW, they row a scull, not a skiff.

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

Neither: It's the intellectual ability of the participants.

BTW, they row a scull, not a skiff.

Need to practice up on my scull language if it’s a legit sport....wait....never mind.