Sign in to follow this  
bfrito17

Breakdown of two wrestlers from North Ossetia Alania.

Hi I'm Coach Fiorito and you may be familiar with my Youtube channel Wrestling Mastery. In my latest breakdown I chose to cover a very powerful technique that's not used by the masses.  For most of us it's not an unfamiliar combination of positions, but definitely when used together a new move for most.  Both wrestlers I cover that use this technique exceptionally well come out of the same powerhouse region of wrestling, North Ossetia Alania in Russia.  This is one of David Baev's go to techniques and a position Soslan Ramonov will look for.  For this reason I gave the move the name ALANS DUMP. 

For those that don't know about North Ossetia Alania, it's home to the Alans International a qualifier for the Yarigin. And a close rival to Dagestan. Khetag Tsabolov, David Baev, Soslan Ramonov, and Zaurbek Sidakov are a few world beaters from this region. Hope you enjoy my video. 

These video breakdowns are really fantastic.

I think that Dustin Schlatter often used a similar move to what you're calling the Alans dump -- if I'm remembering correctly, this was his go-to offense the year he made the world team.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:46 AM, sidakova4991 said:

Great video!  I think Ramonov is from Tskhinval (South Ossetia), but now resides in North Ossetia.  Both are Ossetians though, so doesn't matter so much ;) 

Thank you, next time I cover any Russians can I send you a PM for some consulting?

21 hours ago, quanon said:

These video breakdowns are really fantastic.

I think that Dustin Schlatter often used a similar move to what you're calling the Alans dump -- if I'm remembering correctly, this was his go-to offense the year he made the world team.

I appreciate that! I put a lot of time and thought into them. 

You are right! @ 2:17 of the highlight video you'll see him hit the move. 

So looking at the recently posted '88 wrestle-off between Carr and Metzger, was stoked to see Carr with his variation of the Alania/Baev Dump.  At this time, it was just called a duck (or misdirection duck) and morphed into a variation now called the Super Duck (without the head control).  At the :55 second mark, Carr tries it but is countered.  At 4:07, he converts after a hard counter by Metzger.  Both these guys were so good.  The inside trips hit by both were ahead of their time (3:05 and 4:41).  Love how Carr is a stand-up wrestler in neutral, going for that famous single leg snatch and not getting bogged down on his knees.  Thank you again, Coach Fiorito, for starting the thread and getting me thinking about technique.  Have been drilling the Alania tape and even showed it to my kids, pushing them to think about their approach to technique.

Excellent breakdown.  I feel like I have seen Carr do this in other matches as well.  OK I found a few examples..Many of us just chalked it up to a duck under but it is a finishing skill by itself... :54 seconds in.. Second video hits the duck and then finishes with a leg trip... great stuff. Also hits it on metzger at 1:49 and 7:49

Edited by duckdragshrugsweep