IronChef

Goodale on the season to come

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/11/rutgers-wrestling-second-semester-schedule-only-big-ten/5414628002/

“I can tell you this: We’re probably not wrestling in November and December, which is OK. It should be a second semester sport anyway.”

Goodale said he and the other head wrestling coaches in the Big Ten will have a conference call Monday to form a consensus on their proposed plan for a season to present to the Big Ten athletic directors and presidents.

Just now, IronChef said:

Goodale said he and the other head wrestling coaches in the Big Ten will have a conference call Monday to form a consensus on their proposed plan for a season to present to the Big Ten athletic directors and presidents.

A conference conference call!

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Making the season January through April needs to be done permanently. Wrestlers will be able to eat during thanksgiving, Christmas, and we get to avoid conflicts with March Madness. The season is way too long-it makes no sense. 

Wouldn’t Moving the ncaas to April conflict it with world team trials?

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Making the season January through April needs to be done permanently. Wrestlers will be able to eat during thanksgiving, Christmas, and we get to avoid conflicts with March Madness. The season is way too long-it makes no sense. 

10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Just make sure it’s not the same weekend as WTT by moving WTT either earlier or later. We need to fight for the survival of our sport at the NCAA level and that means having NCAAs in front of as many eyes as possible. Despite the decrease in number of programs, interest in NCAAs has been going up (not every year in raw viewership numbers, but relatively given the changing landscape of television/media). Now imagine if we had a weekend to ourselves rather than competing with March madness. We might even get some of the ncaa basketball gamblers interested in the way our crazy brackets play out. 

There is no conflict with March Madness. The timing of the NCAA wrestling tournament allows it to get a ton of tv coverage because ESPN does not have basketball rights. Moving to late April means competing for ESPN air time with playoff basketball and Major League Baseball.

There are reasons to move the season. March Madness is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, IronChef said:

There is no conflict with March Madness. The timing of the NCAA wrestling tournament allows it to get a ton of tv coverage because ESPN does not have basketball rights. Moving to late April means competing for ESPN air time with playoff basketball and Major League Baseball.

This is a good point with the NBA playoffs.  I wonder if it can fit between The NCAA Basketball finals and the NBA playoffs. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

21 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Isn't it likely for this coming year that Bball would be moving similarly anyway?

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

+ the NFL draft, which gets considerable coverage on ESPN

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Mid April the nba playoffs start and I believe nhl playoffs start around the same time 

5 hours ago, pamela said:

+ the NFL draft, which gets considerable coverage on ESPN

Lacrosse is also on the rise that time of year.  It is an incredibly fast growing sporting getting much attention on ESPN.

I believe that Joey Chestnut has a pre-nationals hot dog training event in April...no go on the NCAA's in April. 

There is always something in some sport.......move it to April...move WTT/OTT to May. 

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Mid April the nba playoffs start and I believe nhl playoffs start around the same time 

I believe this is part of the issue.  Arenas keep those dates open for the playoffs so it would rule out venues with NHL or NBA teams from bidding to host. 

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

I believe this is part of the issue.  Arenas keep those dates open for the playoffs so it would rule out venues with NHL or NBA teams from bidding to host. 

Or AHL, or G-League, etc.

We'd be permanently in either second-rate arenas, on-campuses, or in domed football stadiums.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, Scorenomore said:

I’ll keep beating the dead horse, time to switch to freestyle.  Can covid please kill folkstyle?

Personally I am not a fan of Officiating by Committee. With the FLO videos everyone else has had the opportunity to learn how corrupt the Officiating is in other countries. There are hundreds of more stories that FLO hasn't even touched on where "backroom deals" were made that directly affected the outcome of a match and matches. 

I enjoy FS and GR and see how they can benefit Folkstyle wrestlers.

50 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Personally I am not a fan of Officiating by Committee. With the FLO videos everyone else has had the opportunity to learn how corrupt the Officiating is in other countries. There are hundreds of more stories that FLO hasn't even touched on where "backroom deals" were made that directly affected the outcome of a match and matches. 

I enjoy FS and GR and see how they can benefit Folkstyle wrestlers.

What does corrupt officiating in other countries and back room deals have to do with America changing to freestyle?  Also I would think three officials is a way to combat corruption. 

On 7/12/2020 at 10:00 PM, Billyhoyle said:

Have the coaches quit scheduling holiday tournaments, and cut out the extra week between qualifiers and nationals.  The kids can eat, the season is shorter, and there's no March Madness conflict.

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

What does corrupt officiating in other countries and back room deals have to do with America changing to freestyle?  Also I would think three officials is a way to combat corruption. 

If we change to FS only we would be under the UWW formerly FILA, they are constantly reworking the rules to try and put the Americans at a disadvantage. Those back door deals are still happening and the corruption is still there. If we are using American Officials we should be fine.  

Plus here is a big problem that few seem to acknowledge, and that is we don't have enough officials and coaches for FS if we did make a switch. There were and are so many rule changes that have chased away coaches and officials from that season here in the U.S. The "ball grab" was a perfect example. That was a terrible time period for FS/GR. Even now they come out with a rule change and then 3 weeks into the season, that rule changes. WOW! 

For the college women's programs there are often times where a coach is doing the officiating because there wasn't a "real" official available. With the recent influx of more women's programs there will certainly be a shortage of officials for duals and smaller tournaments.

I enjoy FS and GR. I don't live in Greco Land but I like to vacation there for several weeks a year. Just some things to chew on while we are all wondering if we will even get to wrestle this season at all. 

Edited by TexRef

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Have the coaches quit scheduling holiday tournaments, and cut out the extra week between qualifiers and nationals.  The kids can eat, the season is shorter, and there's no March Madness conflict.

I agree that these college coaches need to stop scheduling holiday tournaments. A perfect example of that is OU going to Hawaii for a quad during Christmas Break a few years ago, before Lou took over. Another example is Mizzou going to the South Beach Duals during Christmas Break. 

The college kids do get to eat. Unlike the HS kids, the college kids for the most part do not stop eating to cut weight. They limit what they are eating and they are eating a lot cleaner than most HS kids. Coach Smith at Mizzou has stated several times that is one of the hardest things for the incoming Freshmen to learn. Most of them have not been taught to properly fuel their machine and they usually stop eating to lose weight. Time management was the other big challenge for incoming Freshmen. 

9 minutes ago, IronChef said:

It is important to keep two weeks between the qualifiers and the NCAA Championships. Wrestlers use that time to recover from a tough qualification weekend.

Yeah, don't agree with that.  They need 2 weeks to recover from 3-5 matches?

3-5 matches plus all the matches they had the week before that and the week before that and the week before that. Having an extra week helps them to be at their best at the most important time. Find another week to shorten the season if you must, but don't take this one away. Also, many teams travel on the Tuesday before the event (some on Monday). Imagine a conference tournament ending on Sunday afternoon, traveling back to campus, and then turning around the next day or the day after to travel somewhere else. On top of wear and tear, they are students after all.

Well god forbid, then finish the regular season 1 week earlier.  My point is, it would be very easy to both shorten the season and make nationals so they don't compete vs March Madness.