Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Merged: Downey thread

10 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Downey's entire appeal for being on the card is to get massacred. This only strengthened that appeal. It's a completely different dynamic from the NJRTC, who has to worry about team dynamics and branding. Flo can just broadcast him getting murdered. Could be wrong, but I think you're overestimating the pressure to cut him.

Perhaps flo can Just broadcast his public execution-  That would crash their bandwith for sure.

btw- Just kidding please don’t ban me moderators!

Downey = eyeballs and clicks, no way would Flo drop him from the card.

I'm also hoping Pletcher gets "sick" with the flu last minute and oh no, and the match with Caldwell is about to be cancelled, Darrion's just standing there at center mat flexing... but wait!! Who is -- what's that entrance music playing? Who's walking towards the mat in camo warmups?? Is that -- DEAR LORD IT'S BRENT METCALF!!!

1 hour ago, pamela said:

I'm also hoping Pletcher gets "sick" with the flu last minute and oh no, and the match with Caldwell is about to be cancelled, Darrion's just standing there at center mat flexing... but wait!! Who is -- what's that entrance music playing? Who's walking towards the mat in camo warmups?? Is that -- DEAR LORD IT'S BRENT METCALF!!!

He stated in 2 different Flo interviews over the past year that he would love to wrestle Metcalf again because of the push at ncaas ...that would be the real match to make 

It seems pretty simple to me... NJRTC is affiliated with Princeton and is meant to be a recruiting tool for them. They were in desperate need of some high level athletes, so they took a chance on Downey. They quickly realized he isn’t changing and is bad PR for them and is going to hurt recruiting, not help it. So they stopped supporting him. Makes perfect sense for them to do that. On the other hand, the extra controversy just adds intrigue to his match on Flo. I highly doubt they drop him.

Not to completely miss the point of the subject, but why is everyone freaking out on Flo on social media? As a company the bottom line for them is making money. They obviously have access to viewership numbers on everything they film live and videos they post. If they see that they don’t get the same hits on women’s matches as they do men’s matches, then it’s not their moral responsibility to offer the same contract to the women. Dake vs. Chamizo is going to be a crazy viewership draw. Whether it’s right or wrong, the women just don’t have a headliner that can compete with that strictly from the standpoint of generating views. 

I think people miss the mark on Flo’s goal for the sport. Their goals are centered around making money and growing their platform. Hence why you can’t pay monthly and have to pay a yearly fee. If they grow the sport in the process then that’s great. I feel like people really need to change their perspective on what Flo brings to the table for wrestling. It’s a platform to give us as fans easier access to watch matches, replays, documentaries, etc. But at the end of the day they have bottom lines and it’s about revenue.

As for women’s wrestling, I’m a huge fan. I love watching our senior level girls. Helen Maroulis’ run to gold in Rio is one of my favorite US Olympic moments. But that being said, it’s not Flo’s job to promote women’s wrestling as much as the community wants it to be. The onus for doing that is on USA wrestling, UWW, AWW, NWCA, and the women themselves. 

PD’s initial comments were insensitive, but then he started getting flat out childish and disrespectful in some back and forth with Sarah Hildebrandt and Jacarra Winchester. The dude just doesn’t know when it’s time to stop. 

Edited by goheels1812

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

It seems pretty simple to me... NJRTC is affiliated with Princeton and is meant to be a recruiting tool for them. They were in desperate need of some high level athletes, so they took a chance on Downey. They quickly realized he isn’t changing and is bad PR for them and is going to hurt recruiting, not help it. So they stopped supporting him. Makes perfect sense for them to do that. On the other hand, the extra controversy just adds intrigue to his match on Flo. I highly doubt they drop him.

It'a also Rutgers- goes back and forth locationally. (That's not meant to change much else you said)

11 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It'a also Rutgers- goes back and forth locationally. (That's not meant to change much else you said)

That’s right... forgot about that! That’s probably even more incentive because it represents both programs 

So looking forward how does this effect his chances making the national team (top 3)?  The consensus seemed to be the Hump was the key in his growth the last couple years. Now that’s gone, and I’m sure it’s going to be difficult for him to find a training home now. 

Or is he done?  One of his tweets said goodbye wrestling. 

Like Tyson getting out of a ring he didn’t want to be in with Holyfield by biting his ear, Downey found a way out of the humiliation he was going to suffer at the hands of DT.  

The tough guy rhetoric at some point has to match his actions and not excuses.

12 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Yes, I do realize Vak is at least educated about the law. I'm not certain of his exact status right now. 

When you say "You" can be punished for voicing your opinion on women's wrestling, you're going to have to be more specific. To be clear - Yes, PD3 can be punished. But, NO, I cannot as long as my affiliations and relationships aren't related in such a way that I'm a potential target.

In other words - You are wrong here. I absolutely get to say that I don't enjoy women's wrestling nearly as much as men's wrestling without fear of being punished. (That being said, what you consider punishment vs what I consider punishment may not necessarily align. So there is a gray area there.)

I never said or implied that I "get to say whatever I want" per your post. Obviously there are limits but my scope here is limited to my opinion on watching the sports of wrestling and volleyball.

This is VERY similar to the Kaepernick vs NFL situation. (Which is one of the reasons I find it so interesting.)

From a legal perspective - as an employee of the 49ers/NFL, according to the law he had limited freedom to express his personal opinions and concerns while an employee and while at work. Seems open and shut per your and Vak's logic.

... or is it? That topic got interesting very quickly, and continues to be highly relevant.

And here's something for you to think about - my beliefs here are about freedom of speech and being able to communicate with mutual respect. That is my singular point. None of us have a monopoly on determining what is acceptable or hateful. Neither Vak, you, or I. But that's not an excuse to keep us from promoting respect and not condoning hate.

I'm a strong advocate of applying the Golden Rule as often as possible. I believe it will help us go further together than any other approach.

I post with respect to you and, in turn, hope that you will post with the same level of respect. 

Okay I think there was a disconnect between what we were talking about. You were saying that you couldn't be punished for your opinion, but specifically your opinion on women's wrestling because your affiliations aren't related in a way that makes you a target. I agree with that. I, and I think Vak, were taking what you said in a more general sense, not specifically related to this incident. Obviously, there are things you could say publicly that could lead to you facing punishment. So, I think we were actually in agreement for the most part.

11 minutes ago, AIW-HS said:

So do know for certain that PD is off the card on 7/25?

Flo would have announced it by now...instead they are continuing to undermine their own integrity by saying nothing about it on there homepage.

If they do drop him from the card they hit the trifecta of cowardice: Ignore the issue till they figure out what everyone wants them to do, do what makes you look 
"woke", and hurt the sport. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

44 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Flo would have announced it by now...instead they are continuing to undermine their own integrity by saying nothing about it on there homepage.

If they do drop him from the card they hit the trifecta of cowardice: Ignore the issue till they figure out what everyone wants them to do, do what makes you look 

They retweeted his apology, which they probably wrote.  Seems like they intend to keep him on there unless maybe the complaints get louder.

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

FLO IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

ugh...

what is wrong with that response?

that he didn't vilify downey and Flo with every breath????

Why do you keep throwing Flo in there with him? The only person who I see pushing the idea that he'll get dropped from the card is you. 

10 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Why do you keep throwing Flo in there with him? The only person who I see pushing the idea that he'll get dropped from the card is you. 

well, because FLO IS THE DEVIL!!!!

duh...

he may still be on the card, but, i think like everything else, the whining and pressure will probably increase...

plus, there is literally no reason for the match now... downey has no path left in wrestling... he has proven that being the unattached assassin does not work for him... he will not get picked up by another RTC... he will not be welcome at the OTC... his wrestling career is likely 100% over...

all because he just can't help himself...

this is the world we live in now...

just go beat people up in a cage... he will make some money and will do fine... 

14 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He stated in 2 different Flo interviews over the past year that he would love to wrestle Metcalf again because of the push at ncaas ...that would be the real match to make 

Weren't they supposed to wrestle twice since then?  And I thought caldwell pulled out of both?  Am I wrong?  Weren't they supposed to wrestle on a ship?

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Weren't they supposed to wrestle twice since then?  And I thought caldwell pulled out of both?  Am I wrong?  Weren't they supposed to wrestle on a ship?

I think you may be right about the ship, maybe right before or after he launched his mma career, I forget the details but I do believe he bailed 

15 hours ago, pamela said:

Bah Gawd!!!

Oh Reece Humphrey, come on man.  What a poor response.  I had a lot of respect for him, and while it is now apparent that others are making the executive decisions for the club it is also apparent that this is a good thing for all involved and his situational awareness is not at a point that he can be head man.

Reece--You have a good relationship with the kid and "get" him, you 2 are boys for life.  That is great and all but you are in a position to introduce him into the world of many, many others in our great community and all of those young and impressionable people don't have a close relationship with him, and they are not "boys for life" with him.

This is bigger than you.  This is not cancel culture or a social media blow up.  This is an important issue for the youth of our sport and your response pretty much shows you are not strong enough to see out of your inner circle and the important position you have in influencing others.  Frankly, the NJRTC needs to look at their mission statement and see if you are capable of leading a large program and massage the trickle down cultures a role like that brings.