Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Merged: Downey thread

57 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think you may be right about the ship, maybe right before or after he launched his mma career, I forget the details but I do believe he bailed 

Everyone would like to see them both train seriously and have another match.  Unfortunately caldwell hasn't been that good since being champ.   He was injured the next year (and may have been losing when injured) and then lost post graduate in the Midlands I tbink

Oh Reece Humphrey, come on man.  What a poor response.  I had a lot of respect for him, and while it is now apparent that others are making the executive decisions for the club it is also apparent that this is a good thing for all involved and his situational awareness is not at a point that he can be head man.

Reece--You have a good relationship with the kid and "get" him, you 2 are boys for life.  That is great and all but you are in a position to introduce him into the world of many, many others in our great community and all of those young and impressionable people don't have a close relationship with him, and they are not "boys for life" with him.

This is bigger than you.  This is not cancel culture or a social media blow up.  This is an important issue for the youth of our sport and your response pretty much shows you are not strong enough to see out of your inner circle and the important position you have in influencing others.  Frankly, the NJRTC needs to look at their mission statement and see if you are capable of leading a large program and massage the trickle down cultures a role like that brings.  This post also brings into question your judgement and authority (to the extent you had it) in bringing him to the club in the first place.  If I was a donor I am not sure I would be any longer.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think you may be right about the ship, maybe right before or after he launched his mma career, I forget the details but I do believe he bailed 

I think he got hurt in the lead up to the ship match if I remember correctly. He was really snakebit for a few years.

47 minutes ago, Class said:

Oh Reece Humphrey, come on man.  What a poor response.  I had a lot of respect for him, and while it is now apparent that others are making the executive decisions for the club it is also apparent that this is a good thing for all involved and his situational awareness is not at a point that he can be head man.

Reece--You have a good relationship with the kid and "get" him, you 2 are boys for life.  That is great and all but you are in a position to introduce him into the world of many, many others in our great community and all of those young and impressionable people don't have a close relationship with him, and they are not "boys for life" with him.

This is bigger than you.  This is not cancel culture or a social media blow up.  This is an important issue for the youth of our sport and your response pretty much shows you are not strong enough to see out of your inner circle and the important position you have in influencing others.  Frankly, the NJRTC needs to look at their mission statement and see if you are capable of leading a large program and massage the trickle down cultures a role like that brings.

Wait what?

I didn’t see anything wrong with what Humphrey said, and didn’t read it as someone above him necessarily making the call, just that it was hard because they’re “boys.”

But, he has since deleted it...

But anyway, what the heck is going on?  

PD3 saying he would beat Hildebrandt, then saying he’s withdrawing from the event because there aren’t any women’s or Greco matches.

Now Willie saying Downey could be in “legit” trouble??

So, it looks like I was wrong and they did drop Downey from the card (or he withdrew), but a lot of chatter on twitter saying there are more serious allegations behind the scenes that are the real reason he's in trouble, not just spouting off on twitter. I wonder if someone came forward with an allegation during this whole meltdown.

49 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Wait what?

I didn’t see anything wrong with what Humphrey said, and didn’t read it as someone above him necessarily making the call, just that it was hard because they’re “boys.”

But, he has since deleted it...

His comments indicated he was "honestly disappointed" that the club let PD3 go.  This obviously means he didn't make the call and didn't agree with it, with his explained rationale being that people didn't understand their 1:1 relationship and that it would be for life.

Just really poor judgement and a poor message.  If his role is as a leader in any way at this RTC then his personal relationship with PD3 should not be highly considered in what Reece feels is best for the club.  Like honestly, a lot of people should be asking some tough questions of him regarding PD3 being there in the first place.  His response posted earlier in this thread would/should make those same people ask those same questions much more quickly and harshly, because frankly his thought process in that message shows some underlying concerns to him living up to whatever responsibilities a coach at an RTC are.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight said:

Everyone would like to see them both train seriously and have another match.  Unfortunately caldwell hasn't been that good since being champ.   He was injured the next year (and may have been losing when injured) and then lost post graduate in the Midlands I tbink

The summer after winning the title he got a very serious shoulder injury while rollerblading but pushed through to wrestle his senior year and wrestled with basically one arm all year , then I believe he aggravated it in the ACC finals and again against the kid from Michigan at ncaas and he never took the time to really heal it completely after that even when he was trying to make a world team it was an issue so he switched to mma, which he was bellator champ a little over a year ago and a number 1 contender now so I’d argue today he’s probably in a lot better shape then metcalf 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

I think he got hurt in the lead up to the ship match if I remember correctly. He was really snakebit for a few years.

All injuries pretty much lead back to a rollerblading accident, pretty crazy that’s what did in his wrestling career, we could’ve had Caldwell vs Dake his senior year which could’ve elevated him to legend status, knocking metcalf and dake back to back years pretty hard to top that 

6 minutes ago, Class said:

His comments indicated he was "honestly disappointed" that the club let PD3 go.  This obviously means he didn't make the call and didn't agree with it, with his explained rationale being that people didn't understand their 1:1 relationship and that it would be for life.

Just really poor judgement and a poor message.  If his role is as a leader in any way at this RTC then his personal relationship with PD3 should not be highly considered in what Reece feels is best for the club.  Like honestly, a lot of people should be asking some tough questions of him regarding PD3 being there in the first place.  His response posted earlier in this thread would/should make those same people ask those same questions much more quickly and harshly, because frankly his thought process in that message shows some underlying concerns to him living up to whatever responsibilities a coach at an RTC are.

That's not how I read Reece's message. He said he was upset that WE HAD to let him go. He's part of we and had to means he felt they had no choice. He can still feel kinship with Downey regardless.

4 minutes ago, Class said:

I think you’re reading way too much into it dude.   I think he’s saying he’s disappointed in Downey, and even though they’re friends, he knows he has to cut ties (maybe there were other people pushing it harder, but even if that’s the case I’m not taking it as Humphrey disagreeing).

I can maybe see questioning him for taking PD3 in in the first place, but for that tweet?   C’mon now

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think you’re reading way too much into it dude.   I think he’s saying he’s disappointed in Downey, and even though they’re friends, he knows he has to cut ties (maybe there were other people pushing it harder, but even if that’s the case I’m not taking it as Humphrey disagreeing).

I can maybe see questioning him for taking PD3 in in the first place, but for that tweet?   C’mon now

Yeah, maybe so.  With the benefit of hindsight I think I may have misinterpreted the message and he was saying that "we" let him go but it upset me because we were boys.  Regardless, he could have used the platform a bit better.

Similarly, Nate Jackson had some really well thought out and well articulated messages on the subject.  That was very impressive.

47 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The summer after winning the title he got a very serious shoulder injury while rollerblading but pushed through to wrestle his senior year and wrestled with basically one arm all year , then I believe he aggravated it in the ACC finals and again against the kid from Michigan at ncaas and he never took the time to really heal it completely after that even when he was trying to make a world team it was an issue so he switched to mma, which he was bellator champ a little over a year ago and a number 1 contender now so I’d argue today he’s probably in a lot better shape then metcalf 

Yeah I'm sure he's in good shape from fighting.  I'm guessing metcalf ia much heavier and wrestling college kids as an assistant 

i didn't realize he was injured before grajales.   But he did wrestle in the Midlands a few years later and lost.   So I'm not sure he'd get up for some random one off match.  

2 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

You lost me when I read that people still rollerbladed post-2005????

Caldwell is a unique guy, he used to hit 360 spin move doubles in the state finals and just toy with guys then hit his backflip after he won, and to be fair it was 2010 when he got hurt I’m sure some people were still rollerblading p, just probably not any returning ncaa champs 

22 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Yeah I'm sure he's in good shape from fighting.  I'm guessing metcalf ia much heavier and wrestling college kids as an assistant 

i didn't realize he was injured before grajales.   But he did wrestle in the Midlands a few years later and lost.   So I'm not sure he'd get up for some random one off match.  

He was hurt the entire season, he could’ve redshirted but I think he wanted to be done with school so he just pushed through , but in the end it was the wrong decision...and off his most recent interview it seemed like he’s itching to get back into wrestling and said he always planned on coming back and coaching once he was done fighting so I think he ll be pretty amped up for this.. do you know what weight they are wrestling at?

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

Some really classy twitter posts happening at the moment...

exactly why do I need to follow the sport closer on twitter?

so I can see all the trashy people gloat over an unfortunate situation?

Maybe your take is biased a bit because you have been mocking “Flo is the devil” and now that is looking a bit foolish.

for others some sexual harassment allegations have surfaced and Flo dismisses Nomad with an “effective immediately” policy.  Also seems Downey was sexting several in an unwanted way.  Allegations at this point but the smoke is THICK.