Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Merged: Downey thread

35 minutes ago, pamela said:

I thought MMA fighters cut really hard because of the day before weigh-ins?

I'm not sure it's a rule that they have to. But I was saying when he wrestled especially in HS.

He wrestled 130 Junior year and went up to 152 as a senior. Then 149 in college. Now 135 and 145 MMA.

His senior year had Burroughs at 135, Molinaro 140, and Winston at 145.

25 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I'm not sure it's a rule that they have to. But I was saying when he wrestled especially in HS.

He wrestled 130 Junior year and went up to 152 as a senior. Then 149 in college. Now 135 and 145 MMA.

Gotcha... I was referring to the prior comment speculating Caldwell's walk-around weight. Figured if he competes at 145 in MMA he must cut from around 165.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

He competes at 135.

Not anymore, he fights at 145 now and will continue to in the future , he’s actually undefeated at that weight...

8 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I think he would have beaten all of 3 of those guys his senior year 

17 hours ago, Class said:

Oh Reece Humphrey, come on man.  What a poor response.  I had a lot of respect for him, and while it is now apparent that others are making the executive decisions for the club it is also apparent that this is a good thing for all involved and his situational awareness is not at a point that he can be head man.

Reece--You have a good relationship with the kid and "get" him, you 2 are boys for life.  That is great and all but you are in a position to introduce him into the world of many, many others in our great community and all of those young and impressionable people don't have a close relationship with him, and they are not "boys for life" with him.

This is bigger than you.  This is not cancel culture or a social media blow up.  This is an important issue for the youth of our sport and your response pretty much shows you are not strong enough to see out of your inner circle and the important position you have in influencing others.  Frankly, the NJRTC needs to look at their mission statement and see if you are capable of leading a large program and massage the trickle down cultures a role like that brings.

So you are suggesting a cancellation of Reese?

14 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

So apparently Downey threatened to beat up Sarah Hildegrandt on Twitter, Downey apparently was asking for nude pictures from women, and Nomad was asking female wrestlers for bikini pics. This has been a crazy weekend for wrestling gossip. This is all allegations at this point. 

Is that the sound of the sport feeding into stereotypes and eating itself alive? Ugh...

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What would you like me to re-post?

Should I have said "triple post?"

I got so excited that someone was suggesting a cancellation of Humphrey (while saying "this isn't about cancel culture"), that I hit "send" three times!

13 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

This feels like a weird question, but can we confirm if Pat Downey was asking for nude photos from adult women or from underage women, because that does make a difference.

Probably not from a business/rtc standpoint (as far as firing goes) but certainly it does from a legal standpoint which is what I assume you're pointing out. I assume it could be illegal anyway if they want to press charges but if minors that could be game over.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

This feels like a weird question, but can we confirm if Pat Downey was asking for nude photos from adult women or from underage women, because that does make a difference.

It was allegedly a complaint from 8 high school underage girls.

2 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

It was allegedly a complaint from 8 high school underage girls.

i have only seen this on this bbs...

of course, i am not sifting through all the garbage looking for it...

who "reported" this?

NJRTC issues a statement Saturday inviting Pat Downey to no longer attend, and here we are on Monday and it is still crickets on Flo. Given that they are promoting their Taylor v. Downey match so heavily I am a bit surprised by that editorial choice. 

I am also modestly surprised there is not thread here on the topic, though I must allow for the fact that I don't check often enough to know which threads got carried away and got deleted.

image.png.2b62af77aad6f37656b97dcedad9bd7b.png

16 minutes ago, LJB said:

i have only seen this on this bbs...

of course, i am not sifting through all the garbage looking for it...

who "reported" this?

He who deletes information that turns out to be wrong.

In this case, Pat Mineo claims to have seen the screenshots of the DMs in question.

Downey tweeted that he would “pay to watch” women’s stars like Helen Maroulis, Alli Ragan, Adeline Gray, Erica Wiebe and Victoria Anthony, but also wrote “the average fan ain’t paying for women’s wrestling.”    

Downey also referred to women’s freestyle and Greco as “boring a**” The posts sparked a volley of tweets between female freestylers Downey and Hildebrandt and Winchester. 

If you don't like his tweets, don't read his tweets.  

1 minute ago, 82bordeaux said:

He who deletes information that turns out to be wrong.

In this case, Pat Mineo claims to have seen the screenshots of the DMs in question.

of course it was... 

no headline too scummy for him to toss out there... at least for a minute anyway...

Well his first comment is absolutely correct unfortunately.

The second comment was probably not the smartest comment to make considering you are part of the sport but I have to admit I too find Greco and Women's wrestling relatively uninteresting. FWIW I watch plenty of other women's sports including Tennis, Track, USWNT etc.

Edited by DocBZ

33 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

NJRTC issues a statement Saturday inviting Pat Downey to no longer attend, and here we are on Monday and it is still crickets on Flo. Given that they are promoting their Taylor v. Downey match so heavily I am a bit surprised by that editorial choice. 

Flo removed him from the card yesterday...