Sign in to follow this  
russling

Dake-Taylor Friendship?

ESPN announced the friendship of these two at least a dozen times throughout the broadcast. Does anyone know if in fact they are good friends or was it just hype for the match? I never heard Dake mention Taylor post match as a friend or even give him any props. I thought I heard Dake say he rode him like a dog. It doesn't seem like they are as friendly as ESPN suggested.

ESPN announced the friendship of these two at least a dozen times throughout the broadcast. Does anyone know if in fact they are good friends or was it just hype for the match? I never heard Dake mention Taylor post match as a friend or even give him any props. I thought I heard Dake say he rode him like a dog. It doesn't seem like they are as friendly as ESPN suggested.

I don't believe so either. No doubt they know each other well, and have spent time together years ago, but it seems distant. They have the same goals, and over the past couple years probably haven't talked much at all. That may change after Taylor graduates and they are practicing together. Just my thoughts.

They are good friends. In Dake's post match interview with Quin (which came later and was not aired on ESPN, you would have only seen it if you were in Des Moines) he thanked Taylor for making him a better wrestler, and said he was a great friend and great competitor.

Don't know, but I'd say this past season made them ultra competitors. It's not really Dake's fault for this in moving up, as Taylor suggested he would go down to 157 in that nittany lion club interview thing.

The competition is done, and I suspect they'll move past this whole thing. Perhaps as world team members, etc.

Taylor has done himself a disservice by not moving up weight/s earlier to prepare for 84k internationally. The US team could use someone of his caliber there over the next several years.

Anyone know who the other 3 are? I'll tell you what... What coach Scott Green did with the Shamrock club in the Southern Tier of NYS is damn near legendary. Finger Lakes WC has supplanted that to a degree, but the youngin's still aren't getting the same level of support they were since Scott G went south of the border to Seminary.

8585551827_ea206fdd91_z.jpg

Don't know, but I'd say this past season made them ultra competitors. It's not really Dake's fault for this in moving up, as Taylor suggested he would go down to 157 in that nittany lion club interview thing.

The competition is done, and I suspect they'll move past this whole thing. Perhaps as world team members, etc.

Taylor has done himself a disservice by not moving up weight/s earlier to prepare for 84k internationally. The US team could use someone of his caliber there over the next several years.

I cant see Taylor ever being big enough to even be competitive at 74kg, much less 84kg. He is basically skinny, and it isn't from cutting weight. What is his walk around weight, anyone know?

I cant see Taylor ever being big enough to even be competitive at 74kg, much less 84kg. He is basically skinny, and it isn't from cutting weight. What is his walk around weight, anyone know?

74kg = 162.8 lbs coachp. He's at 165 now and to me he looks sucked down.

Anyone know who the other 3 are? I'll tell you what... What coach Scott Green did with the Shamrock club in the Southern Tier of NYS is damn near legendary. Finger Lakes WC has supplanted that to a degree, but the youngin's still aren't getting the same level of support they were since Scott G went south of the border to Seminary.

8585551827_ea206fdd91_z.jpg

Great picture. Dake looks like a wiseass, trouble making bully while Taylor looks kind of goofy.

I still see team shamrock singlets and I thought that was mike krause, no? I havent seen good kids from flwc, but obviously cornell guys go there.

I cant see them being great friends, Dake moved up to bolster his legacy at Taylor's expense.

So Taylor first suggested going down to meet him? Ouch, that was a scarring miscalculation. Jaja.

I assume that was him looking for vindication after the Olympic tryout fiasco?

Also didnt Taylor win when they were kids? Maybe Dake wanted to avenge that

In any case, Dake took the hard road

74kg = 162.8 lbs coachp. He's at 165 now and to me he looks sucked down.

Taylor said in an interview at NCAAs that he does not cut weight whatsoever to make 165. I really don't think 84kg is in his future. He's simply not big enough.

I still see team shamrock singlets and I thought that was mike krause, no? I havent seen good kids from flwc, but obviously cornell guys go there.

Not sure. Anything could have changed since I was last paying attention. But there are a bazillion shamrock wrestling clubs out there across the country.

Here is this...

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/7402

I'm sure they grew into friends as many people are who constantly run into each other at national events through the years. This I can believe and I'm sure they still communicate with each other since they continues to be big wrestling commodities who see each other at different events. However, the ESPN crew seemed to emphasize the issue to the point where you would think they were life long best buddies who were and still are inseparable. That scenario I do not believe is the case, but works for the average TV commentator who's insight only comes from a short bio-sheet.

They are good friends. In Dake's post match interview with Quin (which came later and was not aired on ESPN, you would have only seen it if you were in Des Moines) he thanked Taylor for making him a better wrestler, and said he was a great friend and great competitor.

What a classy comment. David Taylor is just a great guy.