Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

JB headed to Penn RTC Fall of 2021

11 minutes ago, buckeyehomer said:

Didn't Pat Mineo say this was gonna happen and everyone ripped him?

About a month ago he tweeted that he heard JB might be headed to PRTC. No details after that but also no one ripped him for it.

Here is his statement in full: 

I didn’t grow up desiring to be an Olympic Gold Medalist. When I pulled up a singlet and strapped on my headgear for the first time as a kid in South Jersey, I was just hoping to win the tallest trophy at the local youth tournament. Long before I was standing on top of podiums across the world, I was a skinny youngster learning the basics of wrestling on mats laid across the cafeteria floor of my town’s high school. There was no history. No tradition. No lineage.

But what I lacked in pedigree, I made up for in heart. The grit and determination that I developed in the gymnasiums around the East Coast helped refine me, and with a little bit of hard work, and a touch of luck, helped me get noticed. After zero official visits, and a single state championship as a high school senior, I eventually received only one call.

That call came from a region that I’d never even bothered to locate on a map. But it didn’t matter. I was going to be a Husker.

And for the last 14 years I’ve called Nebraska home.

I wasn’t born here, but I was bred here. I arrived in Lincoln in the Summer of 2006 as a young man uncertain of my athletic abilities. Since then, I’ve spent almost every day working with my coaches as they helped to meticulously mold me into a champion. I worked hard to enhance my powers, learned to harness them, and then unleashed them on the world.

Just a kid from Sicklerville, NJ, Nebraska embraced me as their own. The fans here never saw black and white...only red.

Anytime you have seen me, you have seen two men -- Mark Manning and Bryan Snyder -- close behind. The lessons that these coaches have taught me go far beyond my performances on the mat. They are not only coaches to me, but truly family. Every single one of my five titles are their titles as well. We’ve got one more year to add another one, together in Tokyo.

Over the last three months I’ve had a considerable amount of time to think about my future. Is it my time? Should I walk away? Will this Olympic cycle be the last for me? Should I leave my shoes on the mat and move on to the next season of life?

The answer is simple -- Not yet.

My body is strong. My mind is sharp. I love this sport, and I’m not finished.

I will continue.

But in a new place.

Back where it all started.

This will be my last year at Nebraska. In the Fall of 2021, my family and I will be moving back to the east coast to become part of the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center (PRTC) in Philadelphia -- just 23 miles from my hometown of Sicklerville, New Jersey.

I’m going home.

I’m a true believer that the greatest work I will ever do will not be on the wrestling mat. An athlete’s legacy extends far beyond what they’re able to accomplish on the field of play. I have the ability and the voice to empower and lead the young men and women of the next generation, and I want to do that in the same place that I began.

There’s no place like home.

Now let’s go win some more gold.

-JB

9 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

He's gonna go another Olympic cycle?  Dake's not happy.

I am sure everyone assumed he would wrestle through the 2021 Olympics, Dake included. I think that's all he is saying here.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I am sure everyone assumed he would wrestle through the 2021 Olympics, Dake included. I think that's all he is saying here.

Olympics are in July-August...saying he’s going to start at PRTC in fall implies he’s planning on continuing to compete after Olympics. At least that’s my reasoning.

26 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Olympics are in July-August...saying he’s going to start at PRTC in fall implies he’s planning on continuing to compete after Olympics. At least that’s my reasoning.

Oh, right, he does say that he is moving in the fall of 2021. I assume he meant 2020. Why would he announce a move more than a year in advance?

Edited by NJDan

1 hour ago, Class said:

Some implications for Hall then also since he is there.  Thinking he is a 79KG guy perhaps without a fit for olympic years.

Some implications for JB if 79 becomes the new Olympic weight. Thinking he is a 74kg guy perhaps without a fit for olympic years.

Is his statement that “his greatest work will not be a wrestling mat” also saying that he won’t coach (I know he apparently has said he wasn’t too interested in coaching previously)?  Maybe sticking to motivational speaking or something?

Edited by 1032004

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is his statement that “his greatest work will not be a wrestling mat” also saying that he won’t coach (I know he apparently has said he wasn’t too interested in coaching previously)?  Maybe sticking to motivational speaking or something?

Yeah good thought-at this point we (and JB) might be too far out to really know what his plans are specifically at the PRTC. We’re still 15 months from then and a lot of what he chooses to do might depend on how the Olympics go. 

"I’m a true believer that the greatest work I will ever do will not be on the wrestling mat. An athlete’s legacy extends far beyond what they’re able to accomplish on the field of play. I have the ability and the voice to empower and lead the young men and women of the next generation, and I want to do that in the same place that I began." 

This sounds like it could be interpreted as a statement about coaching or running an RTC or being a representative for other athletes, and so on.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

When Hall announced he was heading to Penn he mentioned that he was going to be super involved in running Beat the Streets Philly. I'm wondering if JB will join him in that endeavor. 

Very happy for JB. I'm sure he will be very happy to move back closer to home and Philly is a pretty great city too.

Huge get for the PennRTC. JB is the role model wrestling needs in a time of Downey-tweets and Nomad... whatever it was.

I'm not sure I understand the Mark Hall aspect, though - where is the talk of 79kg being the new Olympic weight coming from?

I was implying that any thoughts of Mark Hall sucking down to 74 in Olympic years might be minimized and this perhaps cements him as a 79.  No surprise there really.

Never heard a rumor that 79 would become an olympic weight.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Here is his statement in full: 

I didn’t grow up desiring to be an Olympic Gold Medalist. When I pulled up a singlet and strapped on my headgear for the first time as a kid in South Jersey, I was just hoping to win the tallest trophy at the local youth tournament. Long before I was standing on top of podiums across the world, I was a skinny youngster learning the basics of wrestling on mats laid across the cafeteria floor of my town’s high school. There was no history. No tradition. No lineage.

But what I lacked in pedigree, I made up for in heart. The grit and determination that I developed in the gymnasiums around the East Coast helped refine me, and with a little bit of hard work, and a touch of luck, helped me get noticed. After zero official visits, and a single state championship as a high school senior, I eventually received only one call.

That call came from a region that I’d never even bothered to locate on a map. But it didn’t matter. I was going to be a Husker.

And for the last 14 years I’ve called Nebraska home.

I wasn’t born here, but I was bred here. I arrived in Lincoln in the Summer of 2006 as a young man uncertain of my athletic abilities. Since then, I’ve spent almost every day working with my coaches as they helped to meticulously mold me into a champion. I worked hard to enhance my powers, learned to harness them, and then unleashed them on the world.

Just a kid from Sicklerville, NJ, Nebraska embraced me as their own. The fans here never saw black and white...only red.

Anytime you have seen me, you have seen two men -- Mark Manning and Bryan Snyder -- close behind. The lessons that these coaches have taught me go far beyond my performances on the mat. They are not only coaches to me, but truly family. Every single one of my five titles are their titles as well. We’ve got one more year to add another one, together in Tokyo.

Over the last three months I’ve had a considerable amount of time to think about my future. Is it my time? Should I walk away? Will this Olympic cycle be the last for me? Should I leave my shoes on the mat and move on to the next season of life?

The answer is simple -- Not yet.

My body is strong. My mind is sharp. I love this sport, and I’m not finished.

I will continue.

But in a new place.

Back where it all started.

This will be my last year at Nebraska. In the Fall of 2021, my family and I will be moving back to the east coast to become part of the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center (PRTC) in Philadelphia -- just 23 miles from my hometown of Sicklerville, New Jersey.

I’m going home.

I’m a true believer that the greatest work I will ever do will not be on the wrestling mat. An athlete’s legacy extends far beyond what they’re able to accomplish on the field of play. I have the ability and the voice to empower and lead the young men and women of the next generation, and I want to do that in the same place that I began.

There’s no place like home.

Now let’s go win some more gold.

-JB

He's an impressive man.  Here's wishing him well.

I've been rooting against JB for most of his career, almost entirely due to happenstance. I started following wrestling in 2009 shortly after I started. My first favorite wrestler was Mike Poeta (my dad went to Illinois). First time I saw JB was him beating Poeta in the finals. I'm from Indiana. Andrew Howe was the guy all of my coaches would talk about at practice. Of course JB-Howe was the next big match up in his career. Then I met Rob Koll at a camp and became a Cornell fan. Dake quickly became a favorite. You can see where this is going.

As we enter the twilight of his career, it's setting in for me for the first time that I witnessed one of the true "Greats" of the sport. I hope he makes the team and wins a second gold.

Yes, yes, yes!  I sent my son to Penn’s kid practices run by Chase Pami before their RTC practices. It was always great. I was super pumped to see Mark Hall added and now Burroughs!!  Dream come true! I think Burroughs plan is to train there and help out I’m sure and then open his own club in the area.  

Shane Griffith better be giving Penn some serious thought, Hall, Burroughs and let’s not forget McFadden is also going there. 

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

As we enter the twilight of his career, it's setting in for me for the first time that I witnessed one of the true "Greats" of the sport. I hope he makes the team and wins a second gold.

I might be overly optimistic, but I am taking his announcement as meaning we are anywhere but near the twilight of his career.  We had all been assuming he hangs it up at the end of this Olympic cycle and now it looks like he is going to be around for another (at least).  He is arguably our country's greatest freestyle wrestler and he just keeps going.  That is awesome.  Who knows how long he keeps at it and is in the mix for golds.  Dake's recent comments about his aging stoked the fire.

Cant ignore age but age is number at the same time. Nobody cant tell what to do and what not to do be only because of age. It's not wrestling but roberto Duran and bernard Hopkins fought up to 50 at world class level .of course, bernard Hopkins kinda start late. Also good number of Russians or European still competing and placing at international top level tournement like "yarigin" at late 30. However, concern is JB's style of wrestling. He is getting technical from getting more experience but still require a lot of speed. Plus weigh in a day system seem does not really have much time to recover his enough strength and power like before 2018. If he has Dave schultz or saitiev style then it's not really that strange to see if he keep winning middle or end of 30.