Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

JB headed to Penn RTC Fall of 2021

4 hours ago, Broomstick said:

I might be overly optimistic, but I am taking his announcement as meaning we are anywhere but near the twilight of his career.  We had all been assuming he hangs it up at the end of this Olympic cycle and now it looks like he is going to be around for another (at least).  He is arguably our country's greatest freestyle wrestler and he just keeps going.  That is awesome.  Who knows how long he keeps at it and is in the mix for golds.  Dake's recent comments about his aging stoked the fire.

I think that's what he is implying, but him leaving Nebraska feels like the end of an era which is why I think it evokes that feeling for me.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, Sean h said:

Cant ignore age but age is number at the same time. Nobody cant tell what to do and what not to do be only because of age. It's not wrestling but roberto Duran and bernard Hopkins fought up to 50 at world class level .of course, bernard Hopkins kinda start late. Also good number of Russians or European still competing and placing at international top level tournement like "yarigin" at late 30. However, concern is JB's style of wrestling. He is getting technical from getting more experience but still require a lot of speed. Plus weigh in a day system seem does not really have much time to recover his enough strength and power like before 2018. If he has Dave schultz or saitiev style then it's not really that strange to see if he keep winning middle or end of 30.

He’s still very much got it. The last two years he was a last second tactical error from winning one of the toughest weights in the world. And I have no doubt his tactics, as much as they have been improving throughout his career, will really grow working with Slay. Which will make up for his “declining” (for lack of a better term) speed. 

I’m interested to see how much, if any, time he does spend out there over the next year. 

If his long term goals are to open and run a wrestling club, the South Jersey/SE Pa area is perfect for him.  Compared to Nebraska, large population and excellent youth wrestling.  Not to knock Nebraska wrestling but Jordan back in his home state  would be huge.