Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Wait...can college athletes be paid to wrestle?!

I keep hearing Flo is paying the college guys on the card next week. I am no expert in the NCAA rules, but isn’t this not allowed?

I know new rules were voted on, but those definitely haven’t gone into affect yet. 

just trying to figure out why this is allowed

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I keep hearing Flo is paying the college guys on the card next week. I am no expert in the NCAA rules, but isn’t this not allowed?

I know new rules were voted on, but those definitely haven’t gone into affect yet. 

just trying to figure out why this is allowed

No.  But there are rules where they are allowed under certain instances to be provided with actual expenses.  

So Flo probably considers it payment since it is an actual expenses for them.   But it isn’t actually compensation for the athlete.  Kind of like how the All-Star Classic pays for athletes expenses to get to the dual.

I wonder if the new rules allow for college wrestlers to make ad money off of online activities like vlogs and podcasts.  If that is the case, an incoming Division 2 wrestler (Wisconsin-Parkside) by the name of Cayden Henschel, and/or Chase Saldate from Gilroy, CA (Michigan State) might wind up being the pioneers of that kind of model.

12 minutes ago, Konquest said:

I wonder if the new rules allow for college wrestlers to make ad money off of online activities like vlogs and podcasts.  If that is the case, an incoming Division 2 wrestler (Wisconsin-Parkside) by the name of Cayden Henschel, and/or Chase Saldate from Gilroy, CA (Michigan State) might wind up being the pioneers of that kind of model.

Good question. Jesse Vasquez out of Corona, CA might be another. 

Once the NCAA version of Fair Pay to Play goes into effect, there will be questions about whether college athletes could be paid to participate in events like Rumble on the Rooftop or Flo's July thing. They would be entitled to partial compensation, however that may be calculated, by simply having their names and faces on the card and promo materials; but maybe they'd be entitled for actually competing as well? Those events are exhibitions, are not part of any sort of professional league and don't count on any sort of W/L record. It also doesn't affect recruiting or fair play, as long as they don't display the NCAA, conference or team name or logo. I guess I'm stretching the scope of the proposed new rules, but it's possible. There will be grey areas.