steelfrog

Flo — Reaping What a Bad Citizen Sows?

8 hours ago, LJB said:

girl... what on you going on about...

i dated a thick flip girl who played rugby...

you claim to have played rugby and you whine and chase me like a woman...

the parallels made me chuckle...

i thought you would appreciate me joining the discussion...

are you ever happy?

SMH...

stereotypical female behavior...

You seem like a big strong man!

10 hours ago, Tofurky said:

I'd argue that rugby is already bigger globally.

I'm 45 now, I played rugby competitively for more than a decade, and I even play the two hand touch variety at least once a week, as well as help my oldest's team when times are "normal". That said, I don't see the U.S. embracing rugby the way it has football in my lifetime. U.S. fans love and promote the violence the game promotes. The NFL, college football, and youth football are institutionalized parts of American culture that will last for another generation beyond me, I suspect, though I wish otherwise.

Absolutely bigger on a global scale than American football, but rugby sevens is growing exponentially in the US because of the scoring, pace of game, and short game time (two 7 minute halves) but there is still the violence factor without being bogged down like 15s. Carlin Isles and Perry Baker are huge homeruns for the national team and their highlight tapes+backgrounds were big wins and folks should check them out.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Absolutely bigger on a global scale than American football, but rugby sevens is growing exponentially in the US because of the scoring, pace of game, and short game time (two 7 minute halves) but there is still the violence factor without being bogged down like 15s. Carlin Isles and Perry Baker are huge homeruns for the national team and their highlight tapes+backgrounds were big wins and folks should check them out.

Exponentially? Havibg played 7s for the the majority of the time I played, I am going to suggest that the size was so small to begin with that the growth seems huge.

Youth rugby still focuses on 15s. Collegiate rugby still focuses on 15s. National team rugby is focused on 15s. Rugby weekend here in Chicago? 15s. Sevens remains a summer sport that the most dedicated backs and eight men play between fall and spring seasons. Hong Kong 7s and Vegas 7s are nice, but you couldn't fill any major stadium in the U.S. with that. 15s is still king and will be for quite a while.

Speaking of 7s, you want to talk about "pace of game and short game time", did you see Ben Ryan's (Fiji 7s, England 7s) attempt at launching RugbyX this past fall? If not, look it up on YouTube. If he can somehow get that together without changing rules AFTER the tournament had already begun, that could be even more impactful.

Isles and Baker are track stars with a rugby ball. There's very good reason neither one of them is on the U.S.A. 15s team, because they are one way players who thrive in open pitch play.

That said, I do not discourage anyone from checking out any rugby. FloSports even has FloRugby. It's okay.

1 hour ago, Tofurky said:

That said, I do not discourage anyone from checking out any rugby. FloSports even has FloRugby. It's okay.

Are there other rugby streaming sites, and if so are they better than Flo?

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Are there other rugby streaming sites, and if so are they better than Flo?

just rest assured that FloRugby is the worst thing to ever happen to rugby...

rugby would be huuuuuuuge if it wasn't for FloRugby...

3 hours ago, Tofurky said:

Exponentially? Havibg played 7s for the the majority of the time I played, I am going to suggest that the size was so small to begin with that the growth seems huge.

Youth rugby still focuses on 15s. Collegiate rugby still focuses on 15s. National team rugby is focused on 15s. Rugby weekend here in Chicago? 15s. Sevens remains a summer sport that the most dedicated backs and eight men play between fall and spring seasons. Hong Kong 7s and Vegas 7s are nice, but you couldn't fill any major stadium in the U.S. with that. 15s is still king and will be for quite a while.

Speaking of 7s, you want to talk about "pace of game and short game time", did you see Ben Ryan's (Fiji 7s, England 7s) attempt at launching RugbyX this past fall? If not, look it up on YouTube. If he can somehow get that together without changing rules AFTER the tournament had already begun, that could be even more impactful.

Isles and Baker are track stars with a rugby ball. There's very good reason neither one of them is on the U.S.A. 15s team, because they are one way players who thrive in open pitch play.

I mean yeah, that's the point of 7s. It's quick, lots of scores with little defense to the average viewer, and you have burners like Isles and Perry that are draws to the average non-fan. It's not necessarily fair, but no one cares about the forwards and if you want an American-specific viewer audience then 7s is the way to go. I say this as a center in union and prop/hooker in 7s. I enjoy the nuances of a good ruck and talking about it later while shooting a boot.

Glad you brought up RugbyX. It was awesome! I just hope it can stick.At least 7s in the Olympics and the 7s grand prix format is something for niche sports