Sign in to follow this  

Stanford Wrestlers Other Than Woods And Griffith

Been hearing rumblings that the team is working on a plan to get reinstated, and that even if they don't many may stick around at this year.

But I know there's been lots of talk about Woods and Griffith.  I know some of the other guys have been mentioned as well but figured they deserved their own thread.

Abas will likely will be the next most coveted after Griffith and Woods, and he'll still have 3 more years of eligibility after next year.  He was 23-4 in redshirt with wins over past NQ's Andrew Alirez, Colston DiBlasi, Josh Finesilver, and Mason Smith

Jackson Disario at 125 was 21-9 and a NQ as a true freshman in 2020.  Best wins were probably over Brandon Kaylor (20-6) of Oregon State and Logan Treaster (20-10) of Navy.  No real marquee wins, but not bad for a true freshman.

Tyler Eischens at 157 was 21-9 and a NQ as a redshirt freshman in 2020.  Did have a win over Colton Yapoujian of Cornell in 2019

Looks like most of the rest of who wrestlestat projects to start will be at least a Junior next year.

Any possible landing spots for these guys if Stanford doesn't make a comeback?

Edit 1:  I know they also have incoming freshman as well, but not really familiar with them.

Edit 2: for reference, looks like DiSario is from GA and Eischens is from Minnesota.   

Edited by 1032004

Has the school actually approved the option to save the program? Last I read it was not an option. 

Good questions! These kids are there because they qualify academically so I would assume if they transfer they would want something in par with the program they are in at Stanford. Who has a need at that weight and a good academic program.   Abas is an interesting one  - his dad said this spring that it was looking like he would end up at 157  

On 7/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, Idaho said:

Has the school actually approved the option to save the program?

Of course not.  But I'm sure if the team came up with a large sum of money the school may reconsider (even though they claim it's not about the money).

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Of course not.  But I'm sure if the team came up with a large sum of money the school may reconsider (even though they claim it's not about the money).

The reason I asked - below:  

6. If donors step forward, can any of these sports retain their varsity status?

The decisions to reduce our sports offerings are final, and any future philanthropic interest in these sports may be directed towards supporting them at the club level, should they establish as a club sport after their 2020-21 varsity campaign.

While Stanford Athletics has many tremendously generous donors, their support simply could not cover the escalating costs of ensuring excellence across the board in our 36-sport model.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Yes I saw that.  But my guess is that may have been more of a dare.  Guess we’ll see

I hope it is a dare as I am sure we all want to see Stanford survive. That last sentence seems to indicate that it needs to be done across the board and not just for 1 sport, despite the fact that one sport may have the support to do it on their own. I will skip my commentary on that. 

59 minutes ago, TLS62pa said:

Would probably need to also save a female sport as well to maintain Title IX compliance. 

Yes this would be my assumption, that any plan to bring wrestling back would at least involve also adding women’s wrestling (or one of the cut female sports)