Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
irani

JB plans to wrestle until 2024

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Let’s go hypothetical and say Dake beats Burroughs for the Olympic team spot. Does Dake go 74kg or 79kg the following year? 
 

 

74.  Dake would then be the incumbent and have the inside track to make the 2022 team.

In this same scenario, if they have another "consolation" world championships after the Olympics for the non-Olympic weights, someone else (perhaps JB if he lost to Dake at the 74 trials?) would be the new 79 rep, and would therefore have the inside track to make the 2022 team at 79.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

74.  Dake would then be the incumbent and have the inside track to make the 2022 team.

In this same scenario, if they have another "consolation" world championships after the Olympics for the non-Olympic weights, someone else (perhaps JB if he lost to Dake at the 74 trials?) would be the new 79 rep, and would therefore have the inside track to make the 2022 team at 79.  

I suppose that's true but -- assuming Dake wins 74 at OTT -- I don't think he would feel that threatened at either weight? The inside track stuff would be mostly gone because there's no same-day bye for Finalx. He could stay at 74 to get ranking points for Worlds, but I was under the impression that the weight cut wasn't super comfy for Dake and he'd prefer to stay at 79.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pamela said:

I suppose that's true but -- assuming Dake wins 74 at OTT -- I don't think he would feel that threatened at either weight? The inside track stuff would be mostly gone because there's no same-day bye for Finalx. He could stay at 74 to get ranking points for Worlds, but I was under the impression that the weight cut wasn't super comfy for Dake and he'd prefer to stay at 79.

I see your point, and 79 is a less difficult path to world gold than 74 in non-Olympic years.  But sticking with the same scenario proposed by @AnklePicker above, let's say Dake wins the Olympic Trials over JB for 74, then goes on to win an Olympic medal at 74.  Then JB wins the trials for the non-Olympic worlds at 79, then goes on to win a medal at the "consolation" worlds.  You would have Dake sitting in finals at 74 and JB sitting in the finals at 79 for Final X in 2022.  I have a hard time seeing Dake entering US Open or World Team Trials at 79, just to try to take back his spot (79) from JB who is sitting in the 79 finals of Final X.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, ShakaAloha said:

I see your point, and 79 is a less difficult path to world gold than 74 in non-Olympic years.  But sticking with the same scenario proposed by @AnklePicker above, let's say Dake wins the Olympic Trials over JB for 74, then goes on to win an Olympic medal at 74.  Then JB wins the trials for the non-Olympic worlds at 79, then goes on to win a medal at the "consolation" worlds.  You would have Dake sitting in finals at 74 and JB sitting in the finals at 79 for Final X in 2022.  I have a hard time seeing Dake entering US Open or World Team Trials at 79, just to try to take back his spot (79) from JB who is sitting in the 79 finals of Final X.  

That makes sense. I'm just thinking that 74 isn't a pleasant cut for Dake and even if JB goes 79 and medals, it doesn't make too much of a difference for Dake because he'd have a physical advantage at 79 and the 2/3 finalx bye thing has changed. At the very least, I could see Dake going 74kg for the Olympics (under AnklePicker's assumption) and 79kg at the US Open the following year since I think wrestlers don't have to accept their finalx bye until after the Open. We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...