Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

If you were picking the 7/25 Card what would it be?

That's a solid card but those are also matchups we might see at trials. It would be disappointing if the matches turned into handfighting, half-shots and basically a stall-fest because no one wanted to give the other their best look.

Just off the top of my head, I think my top picks would be something like:

DC - Metcalf

Cox - DT

Rivera - Stieber

Ramos - DeSanto

Nolf - Marinelli

Adeline - Elena

Chun - Anthony

Yancopoulos - Marlee Smith

Bey - Cenzo (Greco)

Hall - Downey? (Greco)

idk

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Marinelli/Joseph/Shane Griffith round robin 

Or a Marinelli - Cenzo - Mekhi round robin in Greco? I just think by having them on the same MFS card in an exhibition prior to trials, we may not see anyone's best wrestling. The upper body wrestling with those three might be a spectacle, too.

Edited by pamela

Okay, if I were to do the card, this is what I would do, and it's assuming all folks are healthy.  Also: I'm sticking to Men's Freestyle(since I would have more interest in seeing all one style cards greco/mfs/wfs,etc.).  Add in that if you're doing this you won't want to sensibly put 10 massive #1 VS #2 cards, and that the business mode is to promote further cards in the future.  Also: Treating it UFC style... no cross-weights but in actual weights they may compete at in the future.

57kg: Joe Colon VS Vito Arujau
61kg: Nico Megaludis VS Roman Bravo-Young 
65kg: Johnny Diakomihalis vs Austin Desanto
70kg: James Green VS Alec Pantaleo
74kg: Kyle Dake VS Jason Nolf
79kg: Mekhi Lewis VS Mark Hall
86kg: David Taylor VS Zahid Valencia
92kg: Kollin Moore VS Nick Heflin
97kg: Bo Nickal VS Kyven Gadson
125kg: Mason Parris VS Tony Nelson

I did try to keep senior/more established VS less established as a focus.  Threw in a couple for the fans(Heflin has always looked huge regardless of weight class).

Here is how the card would shape out w/ backstories from press conference and all:

61kg:
Former NLWC staple versus up and coming.  They both show mutual respect in the press conference, citing that they didn't get much time in the room together as Nico was on his way out on a different path when RBY came in, but that Nico was a big reason RBY went to Penn State citing his title at 125 from 2016.  They're both very excited for the matchup and look to put on a show for the fans.

92kg:
Heflin is a former Ohio State guy, and since leaving had owned the series against Martin, until their last round.  Heflin comes out and controversially says "You know with coaching, it had become a focus on cutting weight or getting better.  Cutting weight bit me in the arse against Martin.  I know I'm better and would big brother him 10/10 times had I not had to worry about cutting weight the last week.  Now I'll big brother Moore, who was always better in the room."  Moore responds with "All due respect but Martin owned you because he was better.  Not because of the weight cut.  I'm going to beat you for the same reason.  Don't worry, though.  When you want to focus on being the best you can be, we'll still welcome you home with open arms."

57kg:
Joe Colon is looking to make his final years worthwhile and prove that his medal at non-olympic weight was no fluke.  At the press conference Vito tells him to not make the same mistake as he did against Suriano and subsequently Suriano did against him, and underestimate his opponent.  That he would not be a stepping stone to proving his legacy.  They both leave the press conference saying "We'll see, won't we."

125kg:
Tony Nelson comes out at the presser and looks directly at Parris and tells him "I got that old man strength and old man know-how.  You won't be hitting that dump on me like you do those teenagers."  Parris responds with "Well I've had old man strength since I was four years old, and one of those teenagers techfalled the same guy you just can't seem to beat in Gwiaz.  All respect being due, but I won't need that dump to beat you."  Nelson responds with "I'm bigger, faster, stronger, and just plain better than you.  Give you a few more years, and I'll probably be retired by then, but a few more years and you may be top 5 on the ladder.  Right now, though?  How about you actually wrestle a competitive match with Gable then come and talk to me."  Parris quite flustered has no response to this, as his face just turns red.  It is difficult to tell if he is embarrassed, upset, or just plain mad.

70kg:
James Green makes the drop down to his natural 70 kegger weight, and he reaffirms that he is still our #1.  Pantaleo is technically our #2 on the ladder, with Shaulty dropping down to 65 and both Deakin and Nolf going up to 74 for their senior level careers.  They both explain that they're out to prove something.  Pantaleo that he belongs, having been beaten soundly pretty much every time he's had a chance at knocking in the top three on the ladder, and Green to show that he's still got a good cycle left in him.  When asked how he thinks the match goes, Green responds with "A pretty easy techfall, I think.  I'm faster, longer, and more explosive than him.  He never does well against people that have two of those three on him."  Pantaleo chuckles and tells him that Green hasn't seen his speed or explosiveness, yet, and that he's looking forward to showing him just how wrong he is.

79kg:
Lewis comes out saying he has mad respect for Hall and that he knows coming out of this he'll know where exactly he stands as far as where he needs to go, win or lose.  When asked where Hall thinks he matches up well with Lewis, he responds with "Everywhere.  The kid has a bright future ahead of him, maybe the brightest, but I'm a solid 79 kilo guy. Not small, and not big, but well adjusted.  When it comes to speed, technique, and all around wrestling capabilities I'm just a little better in every area.  The match will be competitive, but styles make matches, and this is just a very bad matchup for him.  I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple world medals out of him in the future, but it won't be at 79, and it won't be while I'm here."  Lewis acknowledges that it is his first venture up to 79 keggers, but that size most definitely "Will not be a problem." and follows it up with "I know I have my work cut out for me here.  I will give it my best and then, like I said, we'll see where the dust settles."

65kg:
Johnny D up against the neverending tank in Desanto in the main event of the prelims.  Desanto has dreams of making the Olympic team and he asked for this match.  Despite him not being #1 on the ladder, he sees Diakomihalis as one of, if not THE best 65 guy we have on our ladder.  He follows it u with "I'm going in expecting a win here, though.  I don't ever go in thinking that I'm going to lose, and I know that he has never had someone come at him at the pace I'm going to come at him."  Diak responds appropriately and gives him props with "He does have a pace that would make anyone nervous with wrestling him, but he's never wrestled 65 KG and I don't think he's wrestled freestyle in a long, long time."

97kg:
Gadson comes out with almost the same exact pitch that Nelson had(has) and says that Nickal is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he belongs at 97.  Nickal just responds with "Well I'm here to show I belong with the best in the world and have fun while doing it.  Don't worry. I'll bring my hips with me, Kyven.  Don't worry."  Short. Simple. Sweet.  You can tell both of them are on edge.  Should be an excellent start to the main card.

74kg:
Both with something to prove, and both with the skillset to put on a show.  Nolf comes out reaffirming that "We're all just here for the glory of God and to have fun doing it.  Just please... I'm hoping he doesn't play the Jordan Oliver game.  I came to score points or be scored on. If God believes that to be me, then he'll raise my hand victorious."  Dake responds promptly with "This won't be your time.  I'm going to expose you.  Look at you.  You've had more injuries the last three years than the rest of the card.  Your time may be coming, but it won't be July 25th.  It's my time to show the world I'm the best 74 that has ever lived, and you won't stand in my way."

86kg:
Really this is the only match that makes sense at 86 right now, and Taylor makes sure to state that right out the gate "Yeah, nobody wanted to see me VS Downey other than me, him, and the rest of his clown posse.  It wasn't going to be competitive, and be honest with yourself... everyone knew that.  And if we're being honest with ourselves we all know that Zahid is the real #2 in the US now.  He's had a back and forth with Ringer the last few years at 79, but I think he's built for 86.  This is going to be a special match and I'm really looking forward to the challenge."  Zahid says "I am all for giving respect where respect is due, and I appreciate the recognition from Taylor here.  I'm here to prove I belong.  Ever since he beat me 17-0 at midlands I have wanted another shot at him.  We've both grown a lot since then.  I think he's physically grown more, but I think I've improved more, so I'm looking forward to seeing where I stack up against the best in the world."

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Okay, if I were to do the card, this is what I would do, and it's assuming all folks are healthy.  Also: I'm sticking to Men's Freestyle(since I would have more interest in seeing all one style cards greco/mfs/wfs,etc.).  Add in that if you're doing this you won't want to sensibly put 10 massive #1 VS #2 cards, and that the business mode is to promote further cards in the future.  Also: Treating it UFC style... no cross-weights but in actual weights they may compete at in the future.

57kg: Joe Colon VS Vito Arujau
61kg: Nico Megaludis VS Roman Bravo-Young 
65kg: Johnny Diakomihalis vs Austin Desanto
70kg: James Green VS Alec Pantaleo
74kg: Kyle Dake VS Jason Nolf
79kg: Mekhi Lewis VS Mark Hall
86kg: David Taylor VS Zahid Valencia
92kg: Kollin Moore VS Nick Heflin
97kg: Bo Nickal VS Kyven Gadson
125kg: Mason Parris VS Tony Nelson

I did try to keep senior/more established VS less established as a focus.  Threw in a couple for the fans(Heflin has always looked huge regardless of weight class).

Here is how the card would shape out w/ backstories from press conference and all:

61kg:
Former NLWC staple versus up and coming.  They both show mutual respect in the press conference, citing that they didn't get much time in the room together as Nico was on his way out on a different path when RBY came in, but that Nico was a big reason RBY went to Penn State citing his title at 125 from 2016.  They're both very excited for the matchup and look to put on a show for the fans.

92kg:
Heflin is a former Ohio State guy, and since leaving had owned the series against Martin, until their last round.  Heflin comes out and controversially says "You know with coaching, it had become a focus on cutting weight or getting better.  Cutting weight bit me in the arse against Martin.  I know I'm better and would big brother him 10/10 times had I not had to worry about cutting weight the last week.  Now I'll big brother Moore, who was always better in the room."  Moore responds with "All due respect but Martin owned you because he was better.  Not because of the weight cut.  I'm going to beat you for the same reason.  Don't worry, though.  When you want to focus on being the best you can be, we'll still welcome you home with open arms."

57kg:
Joe Colon is looking to make his final years worthwhile and prove that his medal at non-olympic weight was no fluke.  At the press conference Vito tells him to not make the same mistake as he did against Suriano and subsequently Suriano did against him, and underestimate his opponent.  That he would not be a stepping stone to proving his legacy.  They both leave the press conference saying "We'll see, won't we."

125kg:
Tony Nelson comes out at the presser and looks directly at Parris and tells him "I got that old man strength and old man know-how.  You won't be hitting that dump on me like you do those teenagers."  Parris responds with "Well I've had old man strength since I was four years old, and one of those teenagers techfalled the same guy you just can't seem to beat in Gwiaz.  All respect being due, but I won't need that dump to beat you."  Nelson responds with "I'm bigger, faster, stronger, and just plain better than you.  Give you a few more years, and I'll probably be retired by then, but a few more years and you may be top 5 on the ladder.  Right now, though?  How about you actually wrestle a competitive match with Gable then come and talk to me."  Parris quite flustered has no response to this, as his face just turns red.  It is difficult to tell if he is embarrassed, upset, or just plain mad.

70kg:
James Green makes the drop down to his natural 70 kegger weight, and he reaffirms that he is still our #1.  Pantaleo is technically our #2 on the ladder, with Shaulty dropping down to 65 and both Deakin and Nolf going up to 74 for their senior level careers.  They both explain that they're out to prove something.  Pantaleo that he belongs, having been beaten soundly pretty much every time he's had a chance at knocking in the top three on the ladder, and Green to show that he's still got a good cycle left in him.  When asked how he thinks the match goes, Green responds with "A pretty easy techfall, I think.  I'm faster, longer, and more explosive than him.  He never does well against people that have two of those three on him."  Pantaleo chuckles and tells him that Green hasn't seen his speed or explosiveness, yet, and that he's looking forward to showing him just how wrong he is.

79kg:
Lewis comes out saying he has mad respect for Hall and that he knows coming out of this he'll know where exactly he stands as far as where he needs to go, win or lose.  When asked where Hall thinks he matches up well with Lewis, he responds with "Everywhere.  The kid has a bright future ahead of him, maybe the brightest, but I'm a solid 79 kilo guy. Not small, and not big, but well adjusted.  When it comes to speed, technique, and all around wrestling capabilities I'm just a little better in every area.  The match will be competitive, but styles make matches, and this is just a very bad matchup for him.  I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple world medals out of him in the future, but it won't be at 79, and it won't be while I'm here."  Lewis acknowledges that it is his first venture up to 79 keggers, but that size most definitely "Will not be a problem." and follows it up with "I know I have my work cut out for me here.  I will give it my best and then, like I said, we'll see where the dust settles."

65kg:
Johnny D up against the neverending tank in Desanto in the main event of the prelims.  Desanto has dreams of making the Olympic team and he asked for this match.  Despite him not being #1 on the ladder, he sees Diakomihalis as one of, if not THE best 65 guy we have on our ladder.  He follows it u with "I'm going in expecting a win here, though.  I don't ever go in thinking that I'm going to lose, and I know that he has never had someone come at him at the pace I'm going to come at him."  Diak responds appropriately and gives him props with "He does have a pace that would make anyone nervous with wrestling him, but he's never wrestled 65 KG and I don't think he's wrestled freestyle in a long, long time."

97kg:
Gadson comes out with almost the same exact pitch that Nelson had(has) and says that Nickal is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he belongs at 97.  Nickal just responds with "Well I'm here to show I belong with the best in the world and have fun while doing it.  Don't worry. I'll bring my hips with me, Kyven.  Don't worry."  Short. Simple. Sweet.  You can tell both of them are on edge.  Should be an excellent start to the main card.

74kg:
Both with something to prove, and both with the skillset to put on a show.  Nolf comes out reaffirming that "We're all just here for the glory of God and to have fun doing it.  Just please... I'm hoping he doesn't play the Jordan Oliver game.  I came to score points or be scored on. If God believes that to be me, then he'll raise my hand victorious."  Dake responds promptly with "This won't be your time.  I'm going to expose you.  Look at you.  You've had more injuries the last three years than the rest of the card.  Your time may be coming, but it won't be July 25th.  It's my time to show the world I'm the best 74 that has ever lived, and you won't stand in my way."

86kg:
Really this is the only match that makes sense at 86 right now, and Taylor makes sure to state that right out the gate "Yeah, nobody wanted to see me VS Downey other than me, him, and the rest of his clown posse.  It wasn't going to be competitive, and be honest with yourself... everyone knew that.  And if we're being honest with ourselves we all know that Zahid is the real #2 in the US now.  He's had a back and forth with Ringer the last few years at 79, but I think he's built for 86.  This is going to be a special match and I'm really looking forward to the challenge."  Zahid says "I am all for giving respect where respect is due, and I appreciate the recognition from Taylor here.  I'm here to prove I belong.  Ever since he beat me 17-0 at midlands I have wanted another shot at him.  We've both grown a lot since then.  I think he's physically grown more, but I think I've improved more, so I'm looking forward to seeing where I stack up against the best in the world."

Great write up.

I would suggest one change. At 65kg let's have the Nick Lee / Yianni D match up we never got at Senior Nationals due to Yianni defaulting the third place match.

48 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Great write up.

I would suggest one change. At 65kg let's have the Nick Lee / Yianni D match up we never got at Senior Nationals due to Yianni defaulting the third place match.

Can't have all the good ones. If Johnny D wins he'll face the winner of Lee-Shnaulty(from the other card). Maybe he will or maybe he won't. With 30 domestic guys in your roster... **

**per weight

Edited by nhs67

2 hours ago, jross said:

There would be additional undercards to settle who is #1 for each weight of the cancelled NCAA folkstyle tournament.  

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Can't have all the good ones. If Johnny D wins he'll face the winner of Lee-Shnaulty(from the other card). Maybe he will or maybe he won't. With 30 domestic guys in your roster... **

**per weight

Excellent points. And I can't believe I missed Lee v Pletcher. The Rubber Match.

48 minutes ago, Le duke said:

If Desanto truly dreams of going up to 65kg, I want to see Retherford-Desanto. But somehow make it folkstyle, and watch Retherford tear Desanto in half.

But I don’t want Zain to get Kimura’ed  :(

More of a "what would I pay to see" rather than try to build a card where each wrestler would only compete in one match and not including the matches actually happening

Downey/ Taylor for the recent soap opera drama

Cox/ Taylor at a catch weight

Nickal/ Taylor because it would be highlights

Cox/ Snyder

Lee/ Fix

Micic/ Fix

Richards/ Micic 

Richards/ Sanders should be on every single undercard going forward

Hall/ Chamizo 

Nickal/ Zahid for the non-stop action and big moves

Deakin/ Nolf

Nolf/ JB and I'm shooting my shot right now: if they ever do meet then Nolf with the upset.

Imar/ Green

Retherford/ DeSanto because it would be interesting to see ADS get a proper thrashing and the refs not able to save him this time. This was a great suggestion above. Karma is undefeated.

McKenna/ Yianni

Gwiz/ Steveson

Cassar/ Gwiz 

Kollin Moore/ Walz

2 hours ago, pamela said:

But I don’t want Zain to get Kimura’ed  :(

The probability of that happening, i.e., Zain not wrenching ADS around the entire time, is so small as to be insignificant. Bow and arrows for days. 

We're talking about a guy who was ranked #1 for a bit at 133 vs a guy who was beating the brakes off of everyone in the country at 149 for three straight years. 

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

The probability of that happening, i.e., Zain not wrenching ADS around the entire time, is so small as to be insignificant. Bow and arrows for days. 

We're talking about a guy who was ranked #1 for a bit at 133 vs a guy who was beating the brakes off of everyone in the country at 149 for three straight years. 

You're also talking the 149lber who admittedly took a year off to properly acclimate his body to a weight class that was 6lbs lighter than he was used to. He called it 'shrinking his body' I believe.  He hasn't beat the brakes off anybody at 149lbs in over 2 college seasons now.

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

It would be an interesting match from a handfight perspective. They are both great at it, but Desanto is a squeezer and Retherford was amazing because he was nose to nose the whole match but the other guy never seemed able to tie him up at all.

I would be curious about whether Zain could keep Desanto off him...that said Zain is obviously the better wrestler.

6 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

More of a "what would I pay to see" rather than try to build a card where each wrestler would only compete in one match and not including the matches actually happening

Downey/ Taylor for the recent soap opera drama

Cox/ Taylor at a catch weight

Nickal/ Taylor because it would be highlights

Cox/ Snyder

Lee/ Fix

Micic/ Fix

Richards/ Micic 

Richards/ Sanders should be on every single undercard going forward

Hall/ Chamizo 

Nickal/ Zahid for the non-stop action and big moves

Deakin/ Nolf

Nolf/ JB and I'm shooting my shot right now: if they ever do meet then Nolf with the upset.

Imar/ Green

Retherford/ DeSanto because it would be interesting to see ADS get a proper thrashing and the refs not able to save him this time. This was a great suggestion above. Karma is undefeated.

McKenna/ Yianni

Gwiz/ Steveson

Cassar/ Gwiz 

Kollin Moore/ Walz

McKenna /  Yianni, I get. It was close and depending on your opinion coulda/shoulda gone the other way.

But we have seen Deakin / Nolf and it was not pretty. Deakin nearly stalled his way out of the match....from top position. I've never seen anything like it, though I am admittedly new to this.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

34 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

McKenna /  Yianni, I get. It was close and depending on your opinion coulda/shoulda gone the other way.

But we have seen Deakin / Nolf and it was not pretty. Deakin nearly stalled his way out of the match....from top position. I've never seen anything like it, though I am admittedly new to this.

Uh, yeah. Not pretty. I don't have any doubts as to how a FS match between them would go. I don't think it would last 3 minutes. 

21 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Uh, yeah. Not pretty. I don't have any doubts as to how a FS match between them would go. I don't think it would last 3 minutes. 

5 take downs with no attempt to ride in the first period, plus Deakin went off the mat another 3 times (once running with his back to Nolf), so I think we got our freestyle match in the middle of a folkstyle duel.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Freestyle and folkstyle are extremely different and Deakin is legit in FS. I would not at all be surprised if Deakin beat Nolf something like 8-4 in freestyle, which is the style that matters the rest of their careers and will get them on a Wheaties box

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Freestyle and folkstyle are extremely different and Deakin is legit in FS. I would not at all be surprised if Deakin beat Nolf something like 8-4 in freestyle, which is the style that matters the rest of their careers and will get them on a Wheaties box

how much of Deakin's legitimacy in free was day before weigh ins? 

that was a legit question.

Edited by hammerlockthree

52 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You didn't watch the same video I did. How does catch and release 5 straight times in the first period differ from freestyle? Never mind Deakin going off the mat 3 times in 3 minutes to boot.

I, too, would pick Nolf over Deakin in a freestyle match.  But didn't Deakin beat James Green at the US Open, whereas Nolf lost to James Green in the semis of the same tournament?  Maybe Deakin is a lot better at freestyle than he is at folk?