Avashadt

"Study Hall Commandos"

5 hours ago, Avashadt said:

"Short time." There are only a few seconds left in the match and you either 1) are down by 1 and you need to hurry up and score or 2) are up by one or two and you need to stall/not do anything stupid.

"Short Time!" When on your back late in the match with no oxygen as the guys squeezes you in head and arm.  Except there is 28 seconds on the clock.  

3 hours ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

Fish 

Heard this as a kid in the mid-60’s. 

Used to describe someone who was easy to beat. 

On a related note, to be called a fish was an insult, if you had actually wrestled a while. 

True Story: The summer before my senior year of high school, I lost to a kid in a local tournament. He was very big and strong, and he handled me. I was really never in the match. Fast forward a few months and we were to meet in the finals of a Christmas tournament. My teammates came to me and said they’d heard the guy laughing at me and calling me a fish. He told one of them “I beat him up last summer.” To further inflame me, the guy’s girlfriend had already snatched the weight bracket off the gym wall, since it was a foregone conclusion her man was going to win  

When I heard this, I was duly insulted and became furious at being made fun of. I resolved to wrestle so hard that he’d have to kill me to beat me. When the match started, I tied up with him, locked my hands behind his head and pulled and squeezed my face into his as hard as I could. It hurt like hell and I know it really took him by suprise...as it was not a legit wrestling move...I was just trying to inflict pain and show him he was in for a battle. 

After several long seconds of the George “The Animal” Steele treatment, during which I heard him cry out in pain, I pushed him away and saw terror in his eyes. He clearly sensed that I was either crazy or on some type of drug, or both! I went after him and just physically beat him up until I pinned him in another minute or so. 

I had no business beating this guy, but he did to me what my coach always told our team to never do...insult or demean an opponent to the point that they became enraged and juiced up with “crazy man strength.”

This guy went in to play several years in the NFL. 

I’ve always wondered if he learned as much that night as I did!

32 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

On a related note, to be called a fish was an insult, if you had actually wrestled a while. 

True Story: The summer before my senior year of high school, I lost to a kid in a local tournament. He was very big and strong, and he handled me. I was really never in the match. Fast forward a few months and we were to meet in the finals of a Christmas tournament. My teammates came to me and said they’d heard the guy laughing at me and calling me a fish. He told one of them “I beat him up last summer.” To further inflame me, the guy’s girlfriend had already snatched the weight bracket off the gym wall, since it was a foregone conclusion her man was going to win  

When I heard this, I was duly insulted and became furious at being made fun of. I resolved to wrestle so hard that he’d have to kill me to beat me. When the match started, I tied up with him, locked my hands behind his head and pulled and squeezed my face into his as hard as I could. It hurt like hell and I know it really took him by suprise...as it was not a legit wrestling move...I was just trying to inflict pain and show him he was in for a battle. 

After several long seconds of the George “The Animal” Steele treatment, during which I heard him cry out in pain, I pushed him away and saw terror in his eyes. He clearly sensed that I was either crazy or on some type of drug, or both! I went after him and just physically beat him up until I pinned him in another minute or so. 

I had no business beating this guy, but he did to me what my coach always told our team to never do...insult or demean an opponent to the point that they became enraged and juiced up with “crazy man strength.”

I have seen this before.

9 hours ago, pamela said:

Package deal - when a sought-after recruit won't go anywhere without his buddy, so the coaches offer them both, even if the friend is kinda sub-par athletically. Idk if this happens much in wrestling, but it's not uncommon in bball and football. I guess another version of this is when a kid gets recruited as a "package deal" with the presumption that his younger brothers or cousins or whatever will commit to the school too when the time comes.

Shayne Graham, who was a KICKER for VT, before playing 15 years in the NFL refused to sign unless they offered his Pulaski County High School teammate a full ride as well. Wasn’t really uncommon except...his teammate’s position was HOLDER!

I still struggle to understand completely what some college coaches mean by "split the score." I know it's about pouring points on and increase the lead, but what is the official concept of the terminology?

9 hours ago, gromit said:

"Wrestle smart!" - encouraging the wrestler with a slim lead, with short time left, to stall/not take any risks

"He got jobbed!" or "He got Kesseled!" - unfairly penalized or otherwise screwed by an official

I can’t count how many times I think “wrestle smart” at a HS dual. I see kids with 6-7 point leads getting pinned because they get too high on top or try some ridiculous throw. I wasn’t very good but if I had a 2 point lead and bottom going in the 3rd period I was impossible to beat.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:44 AM, Coach_J said:

"Wrestling Room All-American."  Guy who can beat everyone in practice but when you take the mat out in the gym in front of a crowd just can't get it done; he loses to opponents the guys he beats in the wrestling have or would have beaten.

My ears are burning. Once I'd lose on the championship side of the bracket, the pressure was off and I always got 3rd.

17 hours ago, Old Corps said:

Being disrespected by your opponent can be a great motivator not just for that match but also moving forward in training.  This story reminded me of something that happened to me my junior year.  I had qualified for districts as a sophomore but really didn't make a jump until the following year.  At an early season tournament I won my semifinal and went out to check the bracket to see who I had in the finals.  I stood back and watched as my finals opponent and his teammate a weight up viewed the bracket.  Both of these guys where known commodities and when my opponent asked his teammate about me (not knowing I was in earshot) he replied "He's nobody".  I didn't say anything but did go out and major the guy in the finals.  A couple months later his teammate cut to my weight and I had the pleasure of pinning him at sectionals.  I was talking to him the whole match including when he was on his back (not something I typically do).  I don't know if the outcomes would have been different had I not heard their conversation but I do know that I was able to use it as motivation that year when I wanted to dog it or give less than my best effort in practice.

22 minutes ago, balanceseeker said:

Being disrespected by your opponent can be a great motivator not just for that match but also moving forward in training.  This story reminded me of something that happened to me my junior year.  I had qualified for districts as a sophomore but really didn't make a jump until the following year.  At an early season tournament I won my semifinal and went out to check the bracket to see who I had in the finals.  I stood back and watched as my finals opponent and his teammate a weight up viewed the bracket.  Both of these guys where known commodities and when my opponent asked his teammate about me (not knowing I was in earshot) he replied "He's nobody".  I didn't say anything but did go out and major the guy in the finals.  A couple months later his teammate cut to my weight and I had the pleasure of pinning him at sectionals.  I was talking to him the whole match including when he was on his back (not something I typically do).  I don't know if the outcomes would have been different had I not heard their conversation but I do know that I was able to use it as motivation that year when I wanted to dog it or give less than my best effort in practice.

That was you?

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

He’s got “beach muscles”- meaning your opponent was built like a bodybuilder but was more or less awful.

My brother's team had a textbook "beach muscle" guy but even scarier - nothing nice looking about his physique, this dude looked like a friggin' gorilla. But he was as mild mannered as they come and somehow he just wasn't strong at all; it was mystifying. I used to enjoy watching the psychological torture he would inflict on his dual  meet opponents. Before the match you could see them staring at him pacing on the other side of the gym, just $hitting their pants, and then they would strut off after winning decisively like they actually accomplished something great, totally unaware that they've beaten easily the weakest member on the team.  

On 7/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, Tofurky said:

I've known more than a few of these guys in my time as a coach. It's sad to watch.

Brutally rough.  Especially when they are super good human beings too.   Another tough thing to watch is when you have a kid with solid credentials come in and wind up 3rd or 4th in the depth chart. 

On 7/20/2020 at 3:18 PM, Swayz said:

2 and a T-shirt :  0-2 but got a souvenir at the meet

Oscar-  This is a term I learned that a youth club was using as a way to say "Act like you are doing something....key word ACT...as in get an OSCAR for ACTing,  not a stalling call.

Alabama Crab Dangle-   When you are at a middle school meet and you have a know it all snobby parent that doesn't know jack.  Yell this move when their kid is wrestling, or casually talk a bit louder to someone near that the kid should hit an Alabama Crab Dangle...it's not even a real thing,  but it is fun to get people to yell it.  

Kober-Time :  Named after NJCAA All American Jake Kober.   Make the signal for inhaler...even though you don't have asthma,  way to catch breath when you are a hwt that does just enough to get by. 

ILS- Imaginary Lat Syndrome.   The guys that puff up and strut,  but then get hammered in competition, which in turn deflates the puff.

According to the Urban Dictionary, there is such a thing as an Alabama Crab Dangle (as well as an Alabama Crab Dangler).