Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

PAC 12 is on very thin ice

12 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Lots of unhappy folks in the PAC 12 - especially towards the nitwit who they chose as their commissioner.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/07/canzano-pac-12-presidents-and-chancellors-put-the-squeeze-on-conference-headquarters.html

The Pac 12 isn't on thin ice...Scott is on thin ice. The Pac 12 is finally getting it. 

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

The Pac 12 isn't on thin ice...Scott is on thin ice. The Pac 12 is finally getting it. 

Yep, and maybe not so much "finally"... Larry Scott has been on thin ice for a while, IMO. He set the wrong expectations for the Pac-12 Network from the onset, as if the schools would be swimming in media revenue like the B1G, so the chancellors & presidents have been upset for some time now. Fans have been lukewarm on Pac-12 media and Scott's direction in scheduling revenue sports games ("Pac-12 after dark"). Now he's getting squeezed on the organizational side too.

I don't know if the member institutions will try to buy him out of his contract while the conference is fiscally de-leveraged, but it would give a new commissioner more runway to rework the Pac's media rights deal. It could also trigger some sort of conference realignment, if another conference doesn't cause a domino effect sooner, so the Pac will not want to be caught off-guard with new leadership trying to settle in.

Seems like the lowest hanging fruit right now would be to renegotiate its HQ lease - there's tons of commercial inventory in SF right now - or simply break it and move back to Walnut Creek or like Pleasanton or elsewhere in the Pac footprint. I also wish they'd push through some carrier agreements and get the Pac onto like DirecTV, U-Verse, FiOS and Charter. Heck, just offer D2C subscriptions on the streaming platforms, that would be great.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, pamela said:

Yep, and maybe not so much "finally"... Larry Scott has been on thin ice for a while, IMO. He set the wrong expectations for the Pac-12 Network from the onset, as if the schools would be swimming in media revenue like the B1G, so the chancellors & presidents have been upset for some time now. Fans have been lukewarm on Pac-12 media and Scott's direction in scheduling revenue sports games ("Pac-12 after dark"). Now he's getting squeezed on the organizational side too.

I don't know if the member institutions will try to buy him out of his contract while the conference is fiscally de-leveraged, but it would give a new commissioner more runway to rework the Pac's media rights deal. It could also trigger some sort of conference realignment, if another conference doesn't cause a domino effect sooner, so the Pac will not want to be caught off-guard with new leadership trying to settle in.

Seems like the lowest hanging fruit right now would be to renegotiate its HQ lease - there's tons of commercial inventory in SF right now - or simply break it and move back to Walnut Creek or like Pleasanton or elsewhere in the Pac footprint. I also wish they'd push through some carrier agreements and get the Pac onto like DirecTV, U-Verse, FiOS and Charter. Heck, just offer D2C subscriptions on the streaming platforms, that would be great.

They will not let them out of their lease, no chance. Highly doubt they have a termination option either. But when it's up they should relocate, cut their rent in half.

54 minutes ago, pepeFantastico said:

They will not let them out of their lease, no chance. Highly doubt they have a termination option either. But when it's up they should relocate, cut their rent in half.

Agree - To make it completely equitable they should place headquarters in the middle of all schools....that would land approximately at Winnemucca, Nevada. I am sure they could get cheap rent there, make it equitable and weed out anyone who doesn't truly want to help the conference. 

pac-12-map-complete.png?fit=526,530&ssl=

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Winnemucca?  Oh I guess you are referring to the town that I refer to as LOSE-A-MUCHA

It’s just the most central town to the teams....but if they mysteriously lose money they may want to relocate again. Maybe Fallon? 

2 hours ago, pepeFantastico said:

It depends on how exactly their lease is structured, but a number of organizations have been moving out of the city, I know several ppl affected. Companies aren't necessarily breaking their lease, many like the big Macy's in SoMa moved out and put the space up as a sublettor. Airbnb, Uber, Dropbox, Yelp, Slack, McKesson, SF Art Institute, CCA, all subleasing space. PG&E, gone. Tech startups and small-fund management are bailing because they are overleveraged. Many restaurants, small-retail, not-for-profits have little choice. Other companies like Twitter are holding onto their leases but leaving their office space vacant because their occupancy is tied to tax incentives going back to Ed Lee's tenure. But KM has said there's an ongoing market correction happening with commercial vacancies trending upwards and cancellations in transactions. It is palpable. Maybe the Pac should move its HQ to Modesto haha.

4 hours ago, Idaho said:

Agree - To make it completely equitable they should place headquarters in the middle of all schools....that would land approximately at Winnemucca, Nevada. I am sure they could get cheap rent there, make it equitable and weed out anyone who doesn't truly want to help the conference. 

pac-12-map-complete.png?fit=526,530&ssl=

Idaho, With a move to Winnemucca the PAC 12 will most certainly weed out those that don't want to really help the conference! It would definitely be cheaper rent that's for sure. Maybe a move to Twin Falls would be more suitable?

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Idaho, With a move to Winnemucca the PAC 12 will most certainly weed out those that don't want to really help the conference! It would definitely be cheaper rent that's for sure. Maybe a move to Twin Falls would be more suitable?

I would go for that! Of course you can by a pretty seedy motel in Winnemucca pretty cheap....but Twin Falls would be much closer to me!

17 hours ago, Idaho said:

I would go for that! Of course you can by a pretty seedy motel in Winnemucca pretty cheap....but Twin Falls would be much closer to me!

Twin Falls would be a good choice if the CSI Rodeo team still hosts the Boxing Smoker! 

31 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Twin Falls would be a good choice if the CSI Rodeo team still hosts the Boxing Smoker! 

Smokers were the best...I have a feeling that in today’s culture they are not as appreciated. The first rule about smokers....

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Smokers were the best...I have a feeling that in today’s culture they are not as appreciated. The first rule about smokers....

I think CSI still has it! That thing has been around for about 50 years!