Some of what I hear in Dake's posts or voice is a dollop of what could be "New Age narcissism".

Another part almost seems to have a quasi-religious dimension, and that is something that many athletes start to engage in.

I tend to view that in terms of how (they think or feel) it might affect their performance or monastic  training or belief that their efforts will be successful, redeemed or meaningful given the "sacrifices", and so on—i.e., as a matter of "faith" rather than "truth".

An interesting study might look at elite athletes in terms of religious belief or lack thereof.  In wrestling, it really seems to be part of the culture, especially when you include places like Iran and Dagestan.

9 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Some of what I hear in Dake's posts or voice is a dollop of what could be "New Age narcissism".

“I’ve done my research.”

Edited by madcat11

On 7/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, LJB said:

remember when we used to persecute, exile, imprison, and/or put people to death for crazy psuedoscience like thinking the earth revolved around the sun?

yeah, you guys surely do...

The Earth is not flat?

(Not being snarky)

I am really looking forward to OTT 74kg.

VERSUS

Kyle Dake on Twitter: "Make sure you go outside and get dirt on your hands and feet. You need to help recolonize your microbiome asap" / Twitter

19 minutes ago, LJB said:

you are posting a video from 8 years ago...

pretty much dake's point...

No, it's my point, which is that this is shaping up as a fascinating clash of opposing approaches, personalities, and ways of expressing themselves.

The part where I prefaced my post by saying "not being snarky" was designed to make clear that I wasn't, for purposes of this post, taking a position as to whether Dake has a point or not (my guess is that he doesn't, although my substantial uncertainty about that is what makes it interesting), but rather that I was making an observation about the matchup.   

On 7/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, dman115 said:

Valid point 1032004 on him coming off as more intelligent than he probably is.  As I am one who does not think someone who is a "public figure" has a more valid opinion than someone who isn't a "celebrity".  In fact most are so out of touch with reality that their opinion sometimes comes off as completely idiotic...and drives me nuts to see them think they are so much more valid in their thinking then the average Joe...or average Jane.

I wouldn't lump all public figures together. There are experts in every field whose comments about issues in that field should be taken more seriously than those of the average Joe or Jane. Eg take Dake seriously when he's talking about wrestling; take a dermatologist seriously when he's talking about your skin.

More complicated are situations where a layman makes a point that experts agree with. Eg. K Kardashian apparently had some things to say about prison reform that sounded a lot like what the Innocence Project has to say. Solution: listen to the experts and give a high-five to the laymen who agree . . . but remember the broken clock. 

Edited by jackwebster

2 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I wouldn't lump all public figures together. There are experts in every field whose comments about issues in that field should be taken more seriously than those of the average Joe or Jane. Eg take Dake seriously when he's talking about wrestling; take a dermatologist seriously when he's talking about your skin.

More complicated are situations where a layman makes a point that experts agree with. Eg. K Kardashian apparently had some things to say about prison reform that sounded a lot like what the Innocence Project has to say. Solution: listen to the experts and give a high-five to the laymen who agree . . . but remember the broken clock. 

Agreed