Sign in to follow this  
jeffrideal

Carlton Haselrig - RIP

5 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Wow that’s terrible R.I.P...if anyone is looking for a good wrestling book, he co wrote his autobiography..it’s called Giant Killer: the Carlton haselrig story...good book definitely recommend it, the guy didn’t even have a high school team, he could only train, he would  drive like 45 minutes to help a kid at another school practice. Then the guy turns into a 6 time national champ pretty amazing. 

"But Haselrig’s unprecedented run of success at the top level prompted the NCAA to create the so-called “Haselrig Rule,” which bars small-school champions from moving on to the Division I tournament. That means his six titles will likely never be matched."

This seems like a crazy reaction. I would think a D2 guy winning the D1 tournament would make the powers that be keep allowing D2 winners to compete at the D1 tournament. 

BTW, is he the only D2 guy to win at D1?

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

"But Haselrig’s unprecedented run of success at the top level prompted the NCAA to create the so-called “Haselrig Rule,” which bars small-school champions from moving on to the Division I tournament. That means his six titles will likely never be matched."

This seems like a crazy reaction. I would think a D2 guy winning the D1 tournament would make the powers that be keep allowing D2 winners to compete at the D1 tournament. 

Cal State Bakersfield was a D-2 power in the 70's and 80s...they had a few D-1 champs as well.  Lock Haven and Clarion also had numerous small school division NCAA champs that also won titles at the D-1 tournament.

Edited by gromit
link added

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Floyd "Shorty" Hitchcock was Bloomsburg's first NCAA Division I wrestling champion (with career record of 84-7-2).   As a senior in 1974, Hitchcock posted 34 wins, including 24 by fall. He capped off his senior season by winning both the NCAA Division I and II 177 pound titles, earning the Outstanding Wrestler award at both championships. 

Here is an article about him: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23652

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

Anybody else think it is weird that the Trib link has coronavirus in it when we don't know what he died of yet?

Yeah, isn’t it also weird to die of natural causes at 54?

RIP.

BTW-I'm not sure if this was right after he graduated or maybe his senior year but he was at the WIlkes Open just watching. It was while I was running NCAAs but before I ran the Wilkes. I was just spectating. I don't know if he knew who I was but we were both standing near the brackets. He motioned me over and asked how the consolations worked. (Sheesh!).  I looked at him and said something like - What the F#$% do you care? First, you have to lose.
He didn't hurt me!

Really an amazing athlete when the guy's high school didn't have a wrestling team (his entire high school record was something like 10-0), and yet he goes on to win 3 Div I college titles, and then he didn't even play football in college, and yet goes on to be All-Pro in the NFL.  

I always thought that if he hadn't chosen to go the football route, he could have been one of the greatest international wrestlers, and this was right in the middle of Bruce Baumgartner's prime.

Following his retirement, it was discouraging to hear about his problems with substance abuse, although I thought that in his latter years, he had put most of that behind him.  

RIP to one of the greatest.  

1 hour ago, Sheerstress said:

Really an amazing athlete when the guy's high school didn't have a wrestling team (his entire high school record was something like 10-0), and yet he goes on to win 3 Div I college titles, and then he didn't even play football in college, and yet goes on to be All-Pro in the NFL.  

I always thought that if he hadn't chosen to go the football route, he could have been one of the greatest international wrestlers, and this was right in the middle of Bruce Baumgartner's prime.

Following his retirement, it was discouraging to hear about his problems with substance abuse, although I thought that in his latter years, he had put most of that behind him.  

RIP to one of the greatest.  

Thanks for answering my question. Was wondering if and or why he never hit the senior circuit. Thatd be something special to see him and Big Bruce go at it on a regular basis.

8 hours ago, NJDan said:

1973 Clarion would have placed 4th in D1 but D2 points didn't count, in  team scoring. Clarion had 3 champs in Rohn, Schalles and Bill Nelson.        RIP Champ.

Edited by Threadkilla

7 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

1973 Clarion would have placed 4th in D1 but D2 points didn't count, in  team scoring. Clarion had 3 champs in Rohn, Schalles and Bill Nelson.        RIP Champ.

Wow. I had no idea.

But I don't get why this would be considered a problem. Everyone loves a Cinderella story. I could see a problem if the lower division guys were not competitive. But if they are winning, they should be celebrated.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

But I don't get why this would be considered a problem. Everyone loves a Cinderella story. I could see a problem if the lower division guys were not competitive. But if they are winning, they should be celebrated.

It's a problem if the small fries keep embarrassing you I guess. D-I teams probably didn't appreciate Clarion and P-J stealing their prize money.