Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Cael Valencia

There's absolutely no reason for Cael to go anywhere else besides ASU unless somebody offers him a full ride.  I don't see that happening since he hasn't won state yet.  His brothers are there and even though he doesn't wrestle any more, Cade Olivas is there until 2022.  Cael won't get a better training partner anywhere close to home than Zahid.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:22 AM, CA_Wrestler said:

There's absolutely no reason for Cael to go anywhere else besides ASU unless somebody offers him a full ride.  I don't see that happening since he hasn't won state yet.  His brothers are there and even though he doesn't wrestle any more, Cade Olivas is there until 2022.  Cael won't get a better training partner anywhere close to home than Zahid.

Seems like an excellent opportunity for a team with higher goals to improve. Lou Roselli should offer Zahid an assistant coaching job to work with the upper-middles/upper weights. After securing Zahid's services the Sooners should find it a snap to recruit Cael. Provided, of course, he's as good as people are saying. Too many times I've seen guys like those triplets at OU who never even achieved mediocrity in college.

Edited by TobusRex

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Seems like an excellent opportunity for a team with higher goals to improve. Lou Roselli should offer Zahid an assistant coaching job to work with the upper-middles/upper weights. After securing Zahid's services the Sooners should find it a snap to recruit Cael. Provided, of course, he's as good as people are saying. Too many times I've seen guys like those triplets at OU who never even achieved mediocrity in college.

Cael is good, but didn't break through for the state title.  He's lost to Jaden Abas(Stanford) and Andrew Sparks(committed to Minnesota) in the finals, but he's not nearly as excellent as Zahid or Anthony were in HS.  If you look at Zahid and Anthony's HS accomplishments(Z-3 state titles, 3rd) Anthony(3 state titles, 2nd) plus their national tournament successes from Tulsa all the way through HS like Ironman, FloNationals, CK Folkstyle Nationals, Super 32, USAW cadet and junior teams, they are the most successful wrestlers in CA history from schoolboy age through HS.

Cael has done very well in National folk/free tournaments the past few years being on both free/greco national teams, so for him it's a very good upward trajectory.  Sunkist/ASU would be stupid not to lock up Zahid long term.  I still don't see Zahid leaving Tempe, so Cael is probably going to end up there provided he's going to fit in at a weight that ASU needs.

24 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Cael is good, but didn't break through for the state title.  He's lost to Jaden Abas(Stanford) and Andrew Sparks(committed to Minnesota) in the finals, but he's not nearly as excellent as Zahid or Anthony were in HS.  If you look at Zahid and Anthony's HS accomplishments(Z-3 state titles, 3rd) Anthony(3 state titles, 2nd) plus their national tournament successes from Tulsa all the way through HS like Ironman, FloNationals, CK Folkstyle Nationals, Super 32, USAW cadet and junior teams, they are the most successful wrestlers in CA history from schoolboy age through HS.

Cael has done very well in National folk/free tournaments the past few years being on both free/greco national teams, so for him it's a very good upward trajectory.  Sunkist/ASU would be stupid not to lock up Zahid long term.  I still don't see Zahid leaving Tempe, so Cael is probably going to end up there provided he's going to fit in at a weight that ASU needs.

I like Zahid and was stunned by the reason for his suspension.  If true, how does a college justify  locking him up long term with a position at the school?

Put me in the "Cael to ASU, no way does Zahid leaveTempe" camp. I just don't see it happening. Monster Garage has incredibly strong ties to ASU/Sunkist Kids. It would be astounding if Zahid left that environment. Plus, given his recent suspension, I think it would be difficult for any college program to go to bat for him to their administration.

"We want to bring in Zahid."

"You mean the guy who just got popped?"

"Yeah, but if we get him, I think we can get his younger brother."

"How good is is his younger brother?"

"Well, he took second in California twice." 

1 hour ago, Sstern said:

I like Zahid and was stunned by the reason for his suspension.  If true, how does a college justify  locking him up long term with a position at the school?

Not necessarily a coaching position.  I meant him training at the Sunkist RTC.

8 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

Put me in the "Cael to ASU, no way does Zahid leaveTempe" camp. I just don't see it happening. Monster Garage has incredibly strong ties to ASU/Sunkist Kids. It would be astounding if Zahid left that environment. Plus, given his recent suspension, I think it would be difficult for any college program to go to bat for him to their administration.

"We want to bring in Zahid."

"You mean the guy who just got popped?"

"Yeah, but if we get him, I think we can get his younger brother."

"How good is is his younger brother?"

"Well, he took second in California twice." 

To be fair finishing 2nd in California is far more impressive than winning state nearly anywhere else. Who would you guess is better, a guy who was a state champ in Texas or a guy who finished 2nd in California? 99% of the time you'd be correct in picking the runnerup from California. Then somebody like Bo comes along, lol. 

Edited by TobusRex

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

To be fair finishing 2nd in California is far more impressive than winning state nearly anywhere else. Who would you guess is better, a guy who was a state champ in Texas or a guy who finished 2nd in California? 99% of the time you'd be correct in picking the runnerup from California. Then somebody like Bo comes along, lol. 

Oh, I totally agree. I live in California. Over 800 schools and 1 division makes it incredibly difficult to win state. I have a ton of respect for anyone who makes the podium in California. But I still don't think someone like Lou Roselli would feel confident he could sell the idea of Zahid to the powers-that-be on his campus right now. 

58 minutes ago, Return of Aztec said:

Oh, I totally agree. I live in California. Over 800 schools and 1 division makes it incredibly difficult to win state. I have a ton of respect for anyone who makes the podium in California. But I still don't think someone like Lou Roselli would feel confident he could sell the idea of Zahid to the powers-that-be on his campus right now. 

Do we know why Anthony was suspended or is it still a mystery?

2 hours ago, Return of Aztec said:

Lou might be interested if Cael can go 165. Plus his former teammate Justin Thomas is on the team at 157. They have Nick Heflin working with the bigger guys but there may be a change as they are bringing on Sam Hazewinkel to work with the lighter guys. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Lou might be interested if Cael can go 165. Plus his former teammate Justin Thomas is on the team at 157. They have Nick Heflin working with the bigger guys but there may be a change as they are bringing on Sam Hazewinkel to work with the lighter guys. 

Biological brothers > former teammates.  Especially when one of the brothers(Zahid) is a 2x NCAA Champ, probably would have been a 3 timer and as a wrestler, is way better than Helfin was.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, CA_Wrestler said:

Biological brothers > former teammates.  Especially when one of the brothers(Zahid) is a 2x NCAA Champ, probably would have been a 3 timer and as a wrestler, is way better than Helfin was.

I never said that Lou WAS interested in him. I said that Lou MIGHT be interested if he can go 165. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

I never said that Lou WAS interested in him. I said that Lou MIGHT be interested if he can go 165. 

But if Cael WAS going to go 165, why would you think he MIGHT leave ASU when Zahid is a better training partner than Helfin?