Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Senior Open set

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Whats the incentive to enter? Our Olympic trials attendees are set right?

If I remember right there was no change to any qualifying criteria (meaning the past nationals/ott qualifier holds), so you would be correct.  I would imagine the biggest incentive is that they haven't competed in a loooooong time.

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If I remember right there was no change to any qualifying criteria (meaning the past nationals/ott qualifier holds), so you would be correct.  I would imagine the biggest incentive is that they haven't competed in a loooooong time.

Could high placers at this be additions to the OTT qualification field?  Or did USAW specifically say only those that qualified prior would be entered in the OTT next year.  

20 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Isn't there going to be a World Championship this year?  Maybe related to that?

^this...

if they have a worlds on the schedule, we got to have a team in place if it goes through...

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Whats the incentive to enter? Our Olympic trials attendees are set right?

Agreed, there is no incentive for any of our #1's to enter.  I doubt we see Spencer, Fix, Gilman, Yianni, Zain, JO, Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Cox, Gable, and Gwiz.  

1 minute ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agreed, there is no incentive for any of our #1's to enter.  I doubt we see Spencer, Fix, Gilman, Yianni, Zain, JO, Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Cox, Gable, and Gwiz.  

only if they want to potentially go to worlds this year...

4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I mean unless you consider being a world champion an incentive.

16 hours ago, LJB said:

10 weight worlds in december...

everything for the olympic year has already been set...

This being part of qualification for the world's makes perfect sense, but interestingly there is zero mention in the press release.  Have you/anyone seen anything out there saying that it will in fact be?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

This being part of qualification for the world's makes perfect sense, but interestingly there is zero mention in the press release.  Have you/anyone seen anything out there saying that it will in fact be?

i have not, but, it is the only thing that makes sense... my only guess as to why it is not specifically mentioned is that worlds is still a maybe...

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

JO Gwiz and Gable are gamers so I anticipate seeing them. Zain and Taylor I would say are 50/50, if they go then so goes NLWC.

I hope Mark Hall shows up at 79 too

Snyder seems to like competing, too.

I'm not optimistic our heavy hitters will be in attendance.

the people inside usaw aren't hopeful that we 1) have worlds or 2) that if there is worlds we (are allowed to) send a team.

The event was listed as 'Senior Nationals' with a date in mid October. there was no mention of it impacting any qualifying procedure which is the first sign. even if it somehow would parlay into a 2020 World Team Trials qualifier, they'd have to have the WTT's just a few weeks later (with worlds needing to happen before the end of the year).

i don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

I'm not optimistic our heavy hitters will be in attendance.

the people inside usaw aren't hopeful that we 1) have worlds or 2) that if there is worlds we (are allowed to) send a team.

The event was listed as 'Senior Nationals' with a date in mid October. there was no mention of it impacting any qualifying procedure which is the first sign. even if it somehow would parlay into a 2020 World Team Trials qualifier, they'd have to have the WTT's just a few weeks later (with worlds needing to happen before the end of the year).

i don't see it happening. 

Willie,

Do you think this is a situation where the winner of US Senior Open wrestles the incumbent World Team member at a Final X type of event?

i think that would make a lot of sense. However, USAW has to make those (and any, trials) procedures public. they can't have SR Nationals and then announce - "Hey we're sending a team to Worlds and the winner of SR Nationals will wrestle the incumbent for the spot." after SR Nationals. 

so if there's no announcement, b4 SR's. that wont be the case. 

that being said, there is additional details regarding SR Nationals and what they do and don't mean, coming next week. 

Just now, Husker_Du said:

i think that would make a lot of sense. However, USAW has to make those (and any, trials) procedures public. they can't have SR Nationals and then announce - "Hey we're sending a team to Worlds and the winner of SR Nationals will wrestle the incumbent for the spot." after SR Nationals. 

so if there's no announcement, b4 SR's. that wont be the case. 

that being said, there is additional details regarding SR Nationals and what they do and don't mean, coming next week. 

Thanks for the response, Willie!

5 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Willie,

Do you think this is a situation where the winner of US Senior Open wrestles the incumbent World Team member at a Final X type of event?

no...

USAW is not going to have another WTT a month later and then expect the reps to make weight again for worlds the next month...

if there is a worlds, this event will be used as the team qualifier...

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

no...

USAW is not going to have another WTT a month later and then expect the reps to make weight again for worlds the next month...

if there is a worlds, this event will be used as the team qualifier...

So you think the incumbent will have to enter the tournament and navigate the bracket like any other entrant?

Or does the incumbent have a bye to the finals?