Fighting_Blue_Jay

Pat Brucki enters the Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, websterk149 said:

Liked him at Princeton though and boosting their program

Me too, isn't Brucki one of the team captains? Chris Ayres seems like a really great coach and leader, too.

I'm wondering what the greyshirt idea is all about. Couldn't he RS? Or would he be doing it for academic or scholarship reasons?

2 hours ago, Fighting_Blue_Jay said:

197 Pat Brucki is entering the Transfer Portal as a graduate transfer

I find this interesting as Joe Dubuque said on TOMs Quarant-Interview that the plan was to Greyshirt and come back healthy for the 2022 season. 

thoughts? 

I thought you could only grey shirt before you started your first year. Never heard of anyone greyshirting after their eligibility clock started 

Edited by Idaho

10 minutes ago, pamela said:

Me too, isn't Brucki one of the team captains? Chris Ayres seems like a really great coach and leader, too.

I'm wondering what the greyshirt idea is all about. Couldn't he RS? Or would he be doing it for academic or scholarship reasons?

Ivy league doesn't allow redshirting.

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I thought you could only grey shirt before you started your first year. Never heard of anyone greyshirting after their eligibility clock started 

Grayshirting is just unenrolling/not enrolling in school to prevent lost of a year. You have 5 years once your clock starts (not including Olympic or Medical RS).

From what I'm reading on his bio he's was a true junior this year and a civil and environmental engineering major.   If he's a grad transfer does that mean he got an engineering degree from Princeton in three years?  If so my goodness that's impressive...

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

From what I'm reading on his bio he's was a true junior this year and a civil and environmental engineering major.   If he's a grad transfer does that mean he got an engineering degree from Princeton in three years?  If so my goodness that's impressive...

Get an engineering masters from Purdue? 

49 minutes ago, Creek chub said:

VT is a top tier engineering university and there is a 197 need. Plus he’d get to train with Haught and Walz. 

Yeah, but Michigan is a MUCH better engineering school.

29 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Yeah, but Michigan is a MUCH better engineering school.

If he's a CE guy, as suggested by Gantry, Illinois is the best (#2 in the country) Civil school with a wrestling program. 

Pur-Don't and Michigan are top 10 as well at 6th and 7th, respectively. 

That said, having gone to both IL (BS) and VT (MS), I'd go to Ann Arbor in a heartbeat over either. Not to say that I didn't enjoy my time at both, but if you're trying to get an advanced degree, wrestle at a very high level, and possibly do stuff outside of wrestling, Ann Arbor is hard to beat as a college town. Northwestern would be another great option, but they've got Lucas Davison at 197.

Edited by Le duke

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

If he's a CE guy, as suggested by Gantry, Illinois is the best (#2 in the country) Civil school with a wrestling program. 

Pur-Don't and Michigan are top 10 as well at 6th and 7th, respectively. 

That said, having gone to both IL (BS) and VT (MS), I'd go to Ann Arbor in a heartbeat over either. Not to say that I didn't enjoy my time at both, but if you're trying to get an advanced degree, wrestle at a very high level, and possibly do stuff outside of wrestling, Ann Arbor is hard to beat as a college town. Northwestern would be another great option, but they've got Lucas Davison at 197.

Pur-Don't - Thanks for the chuckle!

8 hours ago, Gantry said:

His Instagram (although not sure if updated) says “Princeton Wrestling/Structural Engineering ‘21”

According to Willie, he was planning on missing this year anyway due to surgery.  So seems he’d rather go to school and graduate (assuming he hasn’t already) than take a year off school if he wanted to preserve his Ivy League eligibility.  (Which makes sense since this way he can go for a grad degree sooner)

Edited by 1032004

39 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

I very rarely post on here, and when I do, I like to talk about Purdue wrestling. And this happens every. Single. Time. 

There used to be a a section in the sports page of the local newspaper, call the bottom 10, which ranked the worst college football teams.  Purdue was always on that list as Purdon't. 

7 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

There used to be a a section in the sports page of the local newspaper, call the bottom 10, which ranked the worst college football teams.  Purdue was always on that list as Purdon't. 

ESPN still does the bottom 10...and still refers to Purdue that way. 

Don’t worry, @Thor77 it’s better than ANYTIME a VT team loses, they are referred to as “Chokies”. It started in Fall 2000 and gained steam over the next six or seven years as the FB team would be ranked top 5-10 at the start of the season, or work their way up Top 5 from 20 or so half way through the season, only to lose to a team like St. Mary’s School for the Blind, and drop out of any contention for anything meaningful.

From Wiki - The Chicago Tribune credits the idea to Los Angeles sportswriter Steve Harvey approximately 30 years before ESPN began using the term. On Sept 6, 1972, the Los Angeles Times introduced the Bottom 10 as follows: "This season The Times will keep football fans up to date on the bad as well as the good in football with (Steve) Harvey's irreverent feature, The Bottom 10".[8] ESPN now publishes the rankings "With apologies to Steve Harvey."[9] In 2008, Harvey resumed his "Bottom 10" columns for college and NFL football in the Los Angeles Times.[10]

11 hours ago, Gantry said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you're intelligent enough to get into any Ivy engineering program, then you were probably intelligent enough to also start AP classes in high school + take a summer course or two during undergrad because you realized that grad school and a possible PhD were down the road.

14 hours ago, Fighting_Blue_Jay said:

197 Pat Brucki is entering the Transfer Portal as a graduate transfer

I find this interesting as Joe Dubuque said on TOMs Quarant-Interview that the plan was to Greyshirt and come back healthy for the 2022 season. 

thoughts? 

He's entering FOR 21-22. He posted on instagram that he's taking this year off for some hip issues and then coming back for the possibility of wrestling the next year as a grad student which he can't do at an Ivy.

21 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you're intelligent enough to get into any Ivy engineering program, then you were probably intelligent enough to also start AP classes in high school + take a summer course or two during undergrad because you realized that grad school and a possible PhD were down the road.

Many years ago, a school mate of mine in high school got into Princeton...as a sophomore.  He had gotten five 5 scores on AP tests, and placed out of his entire freshman year.

Did I mention that he had skipped a year in school, as well?  Smartest person I have ever known.

5 minutes ago, klehner said:

Many years ago, a school mate of mine in high school got into Princeton...as a sophomore.  He had gotten five 5 scores on AP tests, and placed out of his entire freshman year.

Did I mention that he had skipped a year in school, as well?  Smartest person I have ever known.

Sheldon?

50 minutes ago, klehner said:

I graduated HS with a girl who won the World’s Science Fair two years in a row and received over $1 million in scholarship money. She went to Harvard and they paid for her BS and MD degrees with over $500K in scholarships that she received in refunds....

I had two full scholarships to VT so I received $2500 a semester back, which, as a 19 year old freshman from a lower-middle class family, was a TON of money.

21 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

I graduated HS with a girl who won the World’s Science Fair two years in a row and received over $1 million in scholarship money. She went to Harvard and they paid for her BS and MD degrees with over $500K in scholarships that she received in refunds....

I had two full scholarships to VT so I received $2500 a semester back, which, as a 19 year old freshman from a lower-middle class family, was a TON of money.

With a nice portion of it going to the awesome seafood spread at now-defunct O'Sullivan's Wharf in Norfolk. 

OK back to Brucki...

Where do we think he ends up?

From IL.   I think I heard he was from the same area where Bormet had a club (although no idea if he went there), so seems Michigan may be a leading contender.

17 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

With a nice portion of it going to the awesome seafood spread at now-defunct O'Sullivan's Wharf in Norfolk. 

“I’ll have another crab cake!”

*narrator* “he shouldn’t of had another crab cake”

bahahaha!

the true irony is most of that money went to the bars downtown, which lead to an awful GPA, thus losing the scholarships and the money :(

13 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Ivy league doesn't allow redshirting.

Grayshirting is just unenrolling/not enrolling in school to prevent lost of a year. You have 5 years once your clock starts (not including Olympic or Medical RS).

Correct so if he greyshirts after he has already enrolled  In school and the clock has started, he is really just taking a year off and losing a year of eligibility. You can’t put a “pause” on the clock.