Fighting_Blue_Jay

Pat Brucki enters the Transfer Portal

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Correct so if he greyshirts after he has already enrolled  In school and the clock has started, he is really just taking a year off and losing a year of eligibility. You can’t put a “pause” on the clock. 

greyshirt is a made up term. I always heard it used between HS and college. Ivies seem to use gap year but that might include either situation if I understand how they use it.

That having been said you can pause the NCAA clock but not like this. Olympic RS and military and missionary service will pause. Ivies can pause by taking a year off school which is what was being discussed apparently. It appears Brucki will fix his hips and deal with whatever happens in the pandemic and might still be thinking about whether to take the year off and come back to Princeton for lat undergrad year or stay in school and come back elsewhere for grad. He's putting his options out there.

44 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

OK back to Brucki...

Where do we think he ends up?

From IL.   I think I heard he was from the same area where Bormet had a club (although no idea if he went there), so seems Michigan may be a leading contender.

Bormet went back to Michigan around 2010-ish so I doubt that Overtime would have been a big draw for Brucki a decade ago

19 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Correct so if he greyshirts after he has already enrolled  In school and the clock has started, he is really just taking a year off and losing a year of eligibility. You can’t put a “pause” on the clock. 

That is not what Yapoujian intends to do.  He will have 4 more years of eligibility at Cornell.

13 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

greyshirt is a made up term. I always heard it used between HS and college. Ivies seem to use gap year but that might include either situation if I understand how they use it.

That having been said you can pause the NCAA clock but not like this. Olympic RS and military and missionary service will pause. Ivies can pause by taking a year off school which is what was being discussed apparently. It appears Brucki will fix his hips and deal with whatever happens in the pandemic and might still be thinking about whether to take the year off and come back to Princeton for lat undergrad year or stay in school and come back elsewhere for grad. He's putting his options out there.

Nobody asked me, but I think that Brucki is going to be at Princeton next year, not wrestling, and graduate with his Princeton engineering degree.  He will then go somewhere for graduate school (whether that is for a "real" MS, I don't know) and presumably use his fourth year of eligibility as a grad student.  He is planning on being a graduate student transfer after this next calendar year.

5 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

That is not what Yapoujian intends to do.  He will have 4 more years of eligibility at Cornell.

But he only has three academic years at Cornell to use those.  He'll have to do the Palacio (and now Darmstadt) thing and take 1-2 semesters off so as to not graduate before his eligibility is gone.

4 minutes ago, klehner said:

But he only has three academic years at Cornell to use those.  He'll have to do the Palacio (and now Darmstadt) thing and take 1-2 semesters off so as to not graduate before his eligibility is gone.

LOL

He will need to take two fall semesters off to get 4 NCAA tournaments in a Cornell singlet?  Actually, I thought he was taking Fall/2020 off and then he was back on track for 4 years at Cornell.

Edited by Plasmodium

4 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

LOL

He will need to take two fall semesters off to get 4 NCAA tournaments in a Cornell singlet?  Actually, I thought he was taking Fall/2020 off and then he was back on track for 4 years at Cornell.

No idea what he has already done.  All I know is that if you are enrolled at Cornell for a semester, that counts towards your four year (eight semester) total.

40 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yep, that’s why the greyshirt idea is puzzling. He’d lose a year of eligibility and pick up the tab on his own tuition so he can compete another season? (I’m not asking you @Idaho, I’m just wondering) As I mentioned previously, I guess he could be taking time off to get his academics in order and settle in (esp if grad transferring), or to ease the scholarship burden at the new school he’d be going to bc they have a senior 197. Or maybe he wants to take a shot at FS or GR in the pseudo-Worlds this year? Idk.

But yah if he’s transferring, why not take a standard RS? If he’s grad transferring, there’s a strong chance that he’d be leaving the Ivy League anyway.

Greyshirting is just delaying entry into college after HS.

Redshirting is not competing for a year but still practice/being with the team.

You have 5 years to complete 4 years of competition. So, Brucki has no issues sitting out a year, if he has only used 3 of those years, and not losing a year of eligibility. It's really no different, NCAA eligibility wise, than if he was at any other school and sitting out a year to heal up (redshirting).

The issue is with Princeton and their eligibility rules -- No redshirts or grad school.

Edited by PinFallRecruit

The Ivies don't permit redshirting (deferring eligibility while enrolled) so the term Ivyshirt has been coined -- sitting out for two semesters (not necessarily consecutive) to satisfy the Ivy restrictions while conforming to the NCAA limits.  Brucki has already greyshirted so if he now also Ivyshirts, he will join a growing number of Grevyshirts.

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Yapoujian has 4 years of eligibility left?  I thought he wrestled last season for Cornell?  Is he going to try to get a medical redshirt to get the year back? 

21 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Yapoujian has 4 years of eligibility left?  I thought he wrestled last season for Cornell?  Is he going to try to get a medical redshirt to get the year back? 

Yes to all.

19 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

He wrestled less than half the year, so I think he is eligible for a regular redshirt.    

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I am not talking about Yapoujian- it's about Brucki 

Edited by Idaho

4 hours ago, pamela said:

Yep, that’s why the greyshirt idea is puzzling. He’d lose a year of eligibility and pick up the tab on his own tuition so he can compete another season? (I’m not asking you @Idaho, I’m just wondering) As I mentioned previously, I guess he could be taking time off to get his academics in order and settle in (esp if grad transferring), or to ease the scholarship burden at the new school he’d be going to bc they have a senior 197. Or maybe he wants to take a shot at FS or GR in the pseudo-Worlds this year? Idk.

But yah if he’s transferring, why not take a standard RS? If he’s grad transferring, there’s a strong chance that he’d be leaving the Ivy League anyway.

Yep - agree....that is what is puzzling. 

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

I am not talking about Yapoujian- it's about Brucki  - I am assuming he  (Y) will do Finger Lakes a year before enrolling at Cornell which would be the correct version of a grey shirt. Or redshirt if you compare...or pink shirt if you combine. 

I mentioned Yapoujian because he started for Cornell last year and is currently greyshirting. 

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I assume he's getting a medical redshirt or @Plasmodium's post wouldn't make sense. he is not greyshirting (unless the roster is wrong) and never did. Yapoujian spent his senior year at FLWC and attending Colorado's online high school. he competed at Cornell as a true freshman before getting hurt in south beach (iirc).

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

the way i see it, if Brucki gets surgery and a medical redshirt for '20-'21, then graduates princeton in '21, he should have two years left in grad school at a non-Ivy. right?

Edited by ugarte

20 minutes ago, ugarte said:

the way i see it, if Brucki gets surgery and a medical redshirt for '20-'21, then graduates princeton in '21, he should have two years left in grad school at a non-Ivy. right?

No Brucki, has one year of eligibility left.  He has competed for the last 3 seasons, NQ as a Frosh, 4th as a Soph, and NQ this season as a Junior.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

He wrestled less than half the year, so I think he is eligible for a regular redshirt.    

He wrestled in varsity events so he needs to apply for a medical hardship waiver to get the year back.  Lehigh's Jaret Lane is in the same position; wrestled in two duals two years ago, suffered a high ankle sprain in the second bout, end of year.

This is the best explanation I've seen about the medical hardship waiver process (except when I pester Gimp):  https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm  It's a bit dated but I don't think the process has changed.

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yep - agree....that is what is puzzling. 

Grayshirting does not lose a year of eligibility.  If it happens after you first enroll, the “5-year clock” for the NCAA still runs, but in Brucki’s case he has a year to spare for that (and if for some reason needed yet another year, could probably apply for a medical waiver).

I think what’s confusing is some may only consider a “gap year” between HS and college as a grayshirt, while others may also consider taking a year off school as a grayshirt (also referred to as an “ivyshirt” in a prior post).

If Brucki does not plan on wrestling this season, his options are basically:

1.  If he wants to wrestle at Princeton in 2021-2022, take a year off from school since Ivies do not allow traditional redshirts

2.  If he doesn’t want to take a year off from school and still wants to wrestle in 2021-2022, he will need to transfer.  (And seems he should be able to graduate next year if he stays in school)

Edited by 1032004

On 7/24/2020 at 10:32 AM, 1032004 said:

OK back to Brucki...

Where do we think he ends up?

From IL.   I think I heard he was from the same area where Bormet had a club (although no idea if he went there), so seems Michigan may be a leading contender.

Bormet's club (Overtime) was in Naperville.  Looks like Brucki went to Carl Sandburg H.S.  For a long time, one of Bormet's former high school coaches  was the coach at Sandburg.....Mike Polz....may still be there.

Edited by fadzaev2

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

So they reason Brucki is grad transferring from Princeton to Michigan is because he wants to take an injury redshirt?  Isn't his older brother a member of NJRTC?

I don’t think he “wants” to take an “injury” redshirt.  I believe Willie said he needed surgery