Eagle26

Does Myles Martin have chance?

10 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Supposedly Bo beats Taylor.  Mymar is close to Bo so yes he has a chance, but not likely.  

Says nobody orher than you, ever.

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

I’ve never heard anyone suggest this.

Where did you hear this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposedly I do too.

See how easy that was? Guy us just being stupid.

Myles is ranked #8 in the world because he beat last year's world bronze earlier this year. Not because he beat Ringer, fwiw.

Myles absolutely has a chance. He is bigger, faster, and stronger. DT will break him on his pace and show how much more skilled he is than MyMar, though.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Myles is ranked #8 in the world because he beat last year's world bronze earlier this year. Not because he beat Ringer, fwiw.

Myles absolutely has a chance. He is bigger, faster, and stronger. DT will break him on his pace and show how much more skilled he is than MyMar, though.

I disagree that Martin is bigger or stronger than DT, but to be fair certainly not positive about that.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Sorry for my ignorance but who was that? TIA

22 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I hope so because he's a really good guy with tons of potential. It's kind of funny when you think about it that everything at 86 was really kicked off because Martin totally choked to PD3 at the US Open last year and set off a whole chain of events. I mean think about it... if Martin wins then Downey probably doesn't earn a spot to Final X, doesn't get on the world team, doesn't run his mouth and set up a PPV match with Taylor, doesn't kick off a huge women's wrestling movement, and Nomad keeps his job and asking for bikini pics. Literally everything is Myles Martin's fault for 88 seconds of not finishing the job.

He didn't choke, he didn't wrestle the entire match but PD3 did. You seem to forget that PD3 beat Heflin 3x. :)

He had no shot.  Taylor literally shot thru his head/hands defense on more than one occasion.  Martin should have had him stopped, but Taylor just kept on going and was onto his legs.  Not like a reshot, it was the same continuous shot, like Martin's hands were made of air.

53 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He had no shot.  Taylor literally shot thru his head/hands defense on more than one occasion.  Martin should have had him stopped, but Taylor just kept on going and was onto his legs.  Not like a reshot, it was the same continuous shot, like Martin's hands were made of air.

That was the most "F*** You" wrestling I've ever seen at a high level. Absolutely no respect for Martin. DT just said I'm going to shoot straight on from the open and as long as I get my hand to a leg, I'm going to score.

It's a really interesting development in his wrestling. He was so ankle pick dominant in college, but you never see it from him anymore. He was all touch and go knee-pulls and doubles-to-singles from space. He has supreme confidence in his finishing ability, so he prioritizes just getting his hands locked over having super clean technique. I'm curious if that approach will be effective against a guy like Yazdani or if he'll reign it in a little. Yazdani is very good in short offense.

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

That was the most "F*** You" wrestling I've ever seen at a high level. Absolutely no respect for Martin. DT just said I'm going to shoot straight on from the open and as long as I get my hand to a leg, I'm going to score.

It's a really interesting development in his wrestling. He was so ankle pick dominant in college, but you never see it from him anymore. He was all touch and go knee-pulls and doubles-to-singles from space. He has supreme confidence in his finishing ability, so he prioritizes just getting his hands locked over having super clean technique. I'm curious if that approach will be effective against a guy like Yazdani or if he'll reign it in a little. Yazdani is very good in short offense.

I'm thinking he was just doing whatever he wanted against MM because he there's relatively little in the way of consequences, both in terms of a medal or ranking points or MM actually scoring on him.

With an ankle pick, unlike, say, a Burroughs double*, if you "fail", not much is going to happen to you. You simply don't get a takedown. It's really hard to get caught underneath someone and then they hit a go behind as result, because you literally aren't underneath them. You're pushing on their upper body while holding their ankle/calf/knee in place. 

*Please note that I am not discounting the effectiveness of the blast double as performed by Mr. Burroughs. I'm simply saying that they result in different positions, should they not result in the desired effect.

On 7/25/2020 at 5:47 AM, nhs67 said:

Turns out the only one of these that was correct pertained to MM's waistline. Yeesh. 

Well, MM might be stronger, but he certainly never had a chance to show it. 

Edited by Le duke

21 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Turns out the only one of these that was correct pertained to MM's waistline. Yeesh. 

Well, MM might be stronger, but he certainly never had a chance to show it. 

He showed up on 7 days notice from quarantine with a beer belly against the most impressive motor in the game. Even as an admitted famboy of DT's I'm going to give him a mulligan and say his body of work since last year's WTT proves what I said to be true.

25 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I'm thinking he was just doing whatever he wanted against MM because he there's relatively little in the way of consequences, both in terms of a medal or ranking points or MM actually scoring on him.

With an ankle pick, unlike, say, a Burroughs double*, if you "fail", not much is going to happen to you. You simply don't get a takedown. It's really hard to get caught underneath someone and then they hit a go behind as result, because you literally aren't underneath them. You're pushing on their upper body while holding their ankle/calf/knee in place. 

*Please note that I am not discounting the effectiveness of the blast double as performed by Mr. Burroughs. I'm simply saying that they result in different positions, should they not result in the desired effect.

This is a change in his wrestling that goes beyond this one match. He's really moved away from picks since moving up to 86kg. He talks a little about this approach in his recent interviews where he says he prides himself on being able to finish every time he gets two hands to a leg. This new approach takes that logic to its natural conclusion. If you score every time you get a lock, prioritize getting that lock over getting in with "perfect" position.

What was even cooler about this performance is that he wasn't hitting the same finish over and over again. He went knee pull to his feet to a walkout for 1. Then he went knee pull right into a peek out and finished head outside. Then he went double-to-single to the corner, Myles spun, and he finished far ankle. Then back to knee pull, out the back door Iranian, cut across like a barzigar down on the mat. Back to a knee pull, but ended up head outside right away, Myles sat corner, Taylor slips his arm out, elevates the foot and casts his hips across for exposure. One more knee pull to an iranian, this time transitions to a head wheel the other way, ends up on the corner and runs down the far ankle to finish the match. 6 leg attack scores, 6 different finishes.

In an interview prior to the recent match, Askren asked Taylor what he thinks the most important but under-acknowledged "thing" (I can't remember the exact wording here) in wrestling is, and Taylor hesitated to answer but basically replied "getting your hands locked on a leg or legs" and then either knowing how to go from there to positions where he (one) can score or simply finish from that point.  

Whether that is in fact the most important "thing" (and Taylor wasn't saying it necessarily is or is the only "thing" but he was pushed to respond to Askren's question), it's interesting because anyone who has followed Taylor's career knows that has not been his approach for years.   Maybe DT grip strength or  his abilities from getting his hand on a leg to creating action (and high probability scoring from that position) has really taken off and developed. 

I rewatched the interview between Askren and Taylor.   Askren's question comes around the 5 minute mark.  And DT basically says one of the most "undervalued" things in wrestling is "just getting two hands on a shot" and then working to a scramble or a finish.   And that his own international development was greatly aided and abetted by doing so.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6751130-flowrestling-dake-vs-chamizo/videos?playing=6760139

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

A 1 in 30 chance?

I'm guessing that there are two other people in the NLWC/PSU room at 86kg who have a higher chance of making it to the 86kg semis than Pat Downey. 

Just think about that. 

Not only is DT simply a better wrestler, in every conceivable way, but he's got better coaches, better coaches to train with (see Casey Cunningham video on Flo), and better training partners (Bo Nickal, Kyle Snyder, Jake Varner, Aaron Brooks, Cael, Casey Cunningham).

I'd be willing to bet that not only has the gap between them not closed, but it's gotten bigger. 

Edited by Le duke

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

In an interview prior to the recent match, Askren asked Taylor what he thinks the most important but under-acknowledged "thing" (I can't remember the exact wording here) in wrestling is, and Taylor hesitated to answer but basically replied "getting your hands locked on a leg or legs" and then either knowing how to go from there to positions where he (one) can score or simply finish from that point.  

Whether that is in fact the most important "thing" (and Taylor wasn't saying it necessarily is or is the only "thing" but he was pushed to respond to Askren's question), it's interesting because anyone who has followed Taylor's career knows that has not been his approach for years.   Maybe DT grip strength or  his abilities from getting his hand on a leg to creating action (and high probability scoring from that position) has really taken off and developed. 

This is what I was referring to, so thanks for linking it. I also saw a video of him doing technique at a camp where he was going over finishing. He basically said "The way you get good at finishing is putting yourself in those positions over and over again in the practice room. In practice, just shoot and you'll start figuring out these finishes and how to defend against counter stuff too." (obviously paraphrasing). It seems clear that that has been his approach in recent years.

I found the video: 

Edited by uncle bernard