Chet Hanson

Pico gets submission

Don't follow MMA too closely any more but from what I read it seems Jackson's MMA (where he trains) is considered a pretty bad camp right now. Had a losing record for years now. Might not be the best place for Pico in the long run considering his problems but i'm far from an MMA expert. 

20 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Don't follow MMA too closely any more but from what I read it seems Jackson's MMA (where he trains) is considered a pretty bad camp right now. Had a losing record for years now. Might not be the best place for Pico in the long run considering his problems but i'm far from an MMA expert. 

I think he made the move there about a year ago. Albuquerque, New Mexico is a good fit right now.

Eddie Bravo commented about Pico on one of Joe Rogan's Fight Companion Podcasts over a year ago saying that he told Pico that he should rely on his wrestling skills. Take his opponents down, smother them and go for the ground and pound or submissions, but that was not what his camp at the time wanted to focus on. They wanted Pico to focus on his standup striking.

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Yawn.  Holy carefully selected opponents Batman!

He needs to do this. How much brain damage do you want him to take? He’s only 23, has already lost three times including two by knockout/TKO, and may be one more KO away from being done with the sport. If he can build his skillset/comfort/ability to not get KOed (is this even possible?) maybe he can stick in the sport. But the last thing he needs at the moment is tough matchups. I honestly think he should have retired and gone back to wrestling, but I absolutely think taking things slowly in MMA is the right move if he’s going to stick with it. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

He needs to do this. How much brain damage do you want him to take? He’s only 23, has already lost three times including two by knockout/TKO, and may be one more KO away from being done with the sport. If he can build his skillset/comfort/ability to not get KOed (is this even possible?) maybe he can stick in the sport. But the last thing he needs at the moment is tough matchups. I honestly think he should have retired and gone back to wrestling, but I absolutely think taking things slowly in MMA is the right move if he’s going to stick with it. 

I don’t think he took it real fast. The dudes he lost to aren’t exactly world beaters. He’s just nowhere near as good a mixed martial artist as he was a wrestler. He’s still young but it’s all about miles and he actually has quite a few miles on that body. 

7 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I don’t think he took it real fast. The dudes he lost to aren’t exactly world beaters. He’s just nowhere near as good a mixed martial artist as he was a wrestler. He’s still young but it’s all about miles and he actually has quite a few miles on that body. 

It's beyond me why his coaches had him focus on standup striking in his first 8 fights. He's a very skilled wrestler and should start to incorporate more in his fights. Take your opponent down early smother him, land some solid punches and take some gas out of the their tank. Then land a standup KO in the later rounds when they are tired. Pico should be altering his strategy to allow him to utilize his wrestling more. If he does that then he might be able to make some noise.

Edited by Chet Hanson
spelling error

2 minutes ago, Chet Hanson said:

It's beyond me why his coaches had him focus on standup striking in his first 8 fights. He's a very skilled wrestler and should start to incorporate more in his fights. Take your opponent down early smother him, land some solid punches and take some gas out of the their tank. Then land a standup KO in the later rounds when they are tired. Pico should be altering his strategy to allow him to utilize his wrestling more. If he does that then he might be able to make some noise.

During his early fights Pico talked all about  the talent in his hands and wanting to get a crowd wowing win.  So It may have came more from him than his coach trying to make that his strategy.   Either way at least he’s finally starting to realize the benefit of his ground and pound too.

25 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

During his early fights Pico talked all about  the talent in his hands and wanting to get a crowd wowing win.  So It may have came more from him than his coach trying to make that his strategy.   Either way at least he’s finally starting to realize the benefit of his ground and pound too.

I remember all that. Just win baby. Forget about the fireworks.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:01 PM, AnklePicker said:

Does he really have more miles though than a guy who just finished four years of college wrestling seasons?

14 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Those knockouts are a lingering concern for him. Wrestlers usually don't have those. 

I don't disagree.  But I don't think those knockouts have as much of effect on his current mileage than four college seasons.  Just an opinion.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:35 PM, Chet Hanson said:

I don't follow MMA. But I have the sense that the promoters don't want to see a lot of wrestling. So while maybe Pico could win by wrestling, the big money comes from fist-to-head knockouts. Of course, getting knocked out is bad on both accounts. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I don't follow MMA. But I have the sense that the promoters don't want to see a lot of wrestling. So while maybe Pico could win by wrestling, the big money comes from fist-to-head knockouts. Of course, getting knocked out is bad on both accounts. 

The promoters and fans are mostly fine with a ground and pound style That incorporates wrestling skills.  They can often live with the submission ground style as long a you are constantly transitioning into some type of finish.  What most done want to see is the lay and prey style of just holding and controlling your opponent into scorecard decision.  That’s a big factor that keep Ben Askren, who dominated at the lower levels, out of a bigger MMA spotlight for so long.