Jump to content
dmm53

Taylor vs. Sadulaev

Recommended Posts

There may have been a thread on this previously, and if so I apologize.  

But I'm curious and given to wonder: if DT is willing to call out Sadulaev publicly for a match, isn't it reasonable to surmise that he must do fairly well against Kyle Snyder in the practice room? Snyder is the only American and one of the few people in the world who has ever beaten or even threatened Sadulaev on the mat in, what, the last five years or so? 
 
If DT didn't (or can't) at least hold his own against Snyder, I doubt he would likely want to give up some weight (to a catchweight between 86KG and 97KG) in order to wrestle the best P4P guy in the world (even if he might simply enjoy such a personal challenge).
 
Anyone else have thoughts on either DT vs. Snyder or DT vs. Sadulaev?
 
 
Edited by dmm53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem for taylor is he cant beat cox so beating sadulaev wouldnt prove hes best pound for pound anything.....why a round robin would be so intriguing is styles would make the fights and someone would always be losing to someone else,,,,taylor may be the only one in the world who can beat sadulaev and yazdani, but he loses to dake and cox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

The problem for taylor is he cant beat cox so beating sadulaev wouldnt prove hes best pound for pound anything.....why a round robin would be so intriguing is styles would make the fights and someone would always be losing to someone else,,,,taylor may be the only one in the world who can beat sadulaev and yazdani, but he loses to dake and cox. 

A few quick points to consider:

First of all, Taylor has in fact beaten Cox and fairly soundly in one of the three matches they've wrestled.   The last of the three matches was clearly marked by controversy as well as Cox's waterlogged body and the the small Oxbow lake that formed on the mat via his sweat glands. 

Secondly, I didn't say a win would prove that Taylor is the best P4P in the world, though he might have a reasonable case to make about that if he did. 

Thirdly, the transitive property arguments  in wrestling and other sports or areas are complex and tricky at best and usually don't always pan out by any measure.   Dake has both beaten and lost to Cox and also both beaten and lost to JB.  Cox has won several championships at non-Olympic weights, as has Dake.  JB and DT have won at (arguably tougher) Olympic weights.  DT has hammered guys that Cox and Dake have barely beaten—e.g., Hasanov from AZE in the case of Dake.  

Fourthly, my main questions has to do with how well DT fares or would fare in relation to, first, Snyder, and secondly, Sadulaev.

Fifth, Taylor seems to have improved markedly in the last few years (even if perhaps Cox and Dake have as well). 

And, finally, yes, a round robin tourney (if someone could pull it off; meaning put it together) would be great, especially in the (almost zero wrestling) World of Covid. 

Edited by dmm53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks that blanket say Taylor can’t beat Cox are just spouting off what they want to be true.  DT has now fully embraced the weight.  He is kicking ass.  Would he beat Cox? I do not know.  But to say he can’t is being biased.

I love that DT called out the Russian Tank.  Could be a best of 3 pay per view.  I’d pay.  I just don’t know how they would make the weights work.  I’m sure Saduleav is trying to make His body right for 97Kg.  A big leap from 86kg for DT.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

The problem for taylor is he cant beat cox so beating sadulaev wouldnt prove hes best pound for pound anything.....why a round robin would be so intriguing is styles would make the fights and someone would always be losing to someone else,,,,taylor may be the only one in the world who can beat sadulaev and yazdani, but he loses to dake and cox. 

Somebody doesn’t know what they are talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Broomstick said:

David Taylor never has a chance to claim the hypothetical P4P best as long as Dake is still competing.  No matter where they are at in their respective careers, Dake owns him.  I have come to accept this after years of denial.

not even if Dake loses to JB at 74 trials and David wins 86kg OLY gold? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

not even if Dake loses to JB at 74 trials and David wins 86kg OLY gold? 

Well, if they subsequently wrestled at a catchweight after those circumstances, who are you going to bet on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

You guys are kidding yourselves.  DT can't beat Cox

I am looking forward to the next match with Yazdani.  I predict Yazdani coasts in the first period and wins easily in the second. 

At 86kg under the current weigh in rules? I think DT beats him by at least 6. Taylor was better than him in 2018, he did something Cox never could. Win a gold medal at an Olympic weight. Cox failed twice, Cox won his gold medals at a much less competitive weight. I’m not sure the Yaz match will be that different because to push the pace is also his style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to see Taylor Cox in a covid style exhibition match. Come to think of it, a round to robin best of three would be even better. Why fly all the way to Austin to wrestle a single match. It’s hard to predict who’d win but they wrestled three times in 2017 when Taylor was still moving up and Taylor still won one of three. Since then they’ve both won world titles and beaten the best the world had to offer. I’d go into that match with more interest and less of an option than almost any match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.  Here is the original Russian (below).  It might be rendered "You got a good aim, guy." [or "You took a good swing, guy"] "Eat and practice, then maybe I’ll see you in the fall."  Any native Russian speakers out there? 

 

Edited by dmm53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dmm53 said:

A few quick points to consider:

First of all, Taylor has in fact beaten Cox and fairly soundly in one of the three matches they've wrestled.   The last of the three matches was clearly marked by controversy as well as Cox's waterlogged body and the the small Oxbow lake that formed on the mat via his sweat glands. 

Secondly, I didn't say a win would prove that Taylor is the best P4P in the world, though he might have a reasonable case to make about that if he did. 

Thirdly, the transitive property arguments  in wrestling and other sports or areas are complex and tricky at best and usually don't always pan out by any measure.   Dake has both beaten and lost to Cox and also both beaten and lost to JB.  Cox has won several championships at non-Olympic weights, as has Dake.  JB and DT have won at (arguably tougher) Olympic weights.  DT has hammered guys that Cox and Dake have barely beaten—e.g., Hasanov from AZE in the case of Dake.  

Fourthly, my main questions has to do with how well DT fares or would fare in relation to, first, Snyder, and secondly, Sadulaev.

Fifth, Taylor seems to have improved markedly in the last few years (even if perhaps Cox and Dake have as well). 

And, finally, yes, a round robin tourney (if someone could pull it off; meaning put it together) would be great, especially in the (almost zero wrestling) World of Covid. 

taylor lost to jden on one leg. no more to say. Taylor is like 0- 10  against dake. large. Dake is 1-7 against jb. oh, and guess who else taylor can't beat. Burroughs.  wouldn't 74kg be considered best pound for pound considering the burroughs who didn't even win gold last year has large sample size of wins over the 86 and 79 world champs ?

DT has hammered guys that Cox and Dake have barely beaten—e.g., Hasanov from AZE in the case of Dake. 

this sounds like college dake and taylor. i swear taylor can be 0-100 and people will pick him. Same with dake over burroughs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think Taylor's wins over Chariti give him a claim at P4P best. The knock on Chariti is that Taylor beats him, if Taylor doesn't exist isn't Chariti the best on earth or at least has a claim?

 

No, I think Yazdani would be a clear p4p number 2 if he'd won the worlds in 2018 instead of losing to Taylor. Still behind Sadulaev as Sadulaev would have dominated both 86 and 97. Yazdani was only at 74 for less than a year and left as soon as he won the Olympic gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

taylor lost to jden on one leg. no more to say. Taylor is like 0- 10  against dake. large. Dake is 1-7 against jb. oh, and guess who else taylor can't beat. Burroughs.  wouldn't 74kg be considered best pound for pound considering the burroughs who didn't even win gold last year has large sample size of wins over the 86 and 79 world champs ?

DT has hammered guys that Cox and Dake have barely beaten—e.g., Hasanov from AZE in the case of Dake. 

this sounds like college dake and taylor. i swear taylor can be 0-100 and people will pick him. Same with dake over burroughs. 

Don't forget Sharifov, who Taylor SMOKED, who has wins over both Cox and Snyder.

Edited by nhs67
OOPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...