Class

Iowa Hawkeyes -- Culture with black athletes

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They should successfully recruit the best wrestlers.  Then they should coach and mentor them to be champions.  That is what Carl does. 

But you just said they should successfully recruit all races and creeds.  Which is not the same thing as recruiting the best wrestlers.

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They should successfully recruit the best wrestlers.  Then they should coach and mentor them to be champions.  That is what Carl does. 

So you don't think Iowa is successful?  I personally can't stand Iowa or TnT, but one would just be being obtuse to suggest that Iowa hasn't been successful.

11 minutes ago, jchapman said:

You said it would only help Iowa if they successfully recruited wrestlers from all races and creeds.  So I asked you why you think Iowa would be better if they recruited Asians to their wrestling team (Asian being one of the three races).

They should succesfully recruit the best wrestlers. Some of them are Asian. 

9 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So you don't think Iowa is successful?  I personally can't stand Iowa or TnT, but one would just be being obtuse to suggest that Iowa hasn't been successful.

Of course Iowa is successful.  That is why I said iowa is a sweet spot for a recruit to land. 

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Face facts.  People.  Don't.   Care. 

It is especially sad that Iowa fans don't care because this is why they don't win titles.

They don’t win titles because they don’t have enough black wrestlers?

Oh c'mon guys, this is getting ridiculous. I think we all know that the bottom line is that Iowa (or any other school) should be recruiting the best wrestlers available regardless of their skin color. The issue initially raised was that maybe Iowa isn't doing that because of some statistics presented over the past 15 years. Iowa wrestling, with its historical wealth of great black athletes, including national champs, does not deserve to be cast in this negative light (and I am NOT an Iowa fan).

Class is a new poster (at least a new name) and he latched on to a volatile topic (race) to get things roiling on the forum. Kudos to him for hitting on a topic that generated six pages of response so far. If any of you truly think that Iowa is somehow not recruiting the best athletes out there, regardless of race, you are living under a rock. The evidence repeatedly cited is a lack of black H.S. state champs in the last 15 years. Fine, but that fact does not embrace at all the fact that the wrestlers themselves are at least 50% of this equation - they may not want to live in Iowa City for four years - no matter who is the coach. Class has laid out one hypothesis and ignored multiple other possible explanations. And six pages worth or responses have taken the bait. I am sure Class is very pleased with himself.

Ordinarily I would be pleased with this particular stirring of the pot, but in this highly sensitized racial environment, maybe it isn't the most positive of topics.

Wrestling is without a doubt considered either a rural white sport or a rich white suburban sport by a large chunk of the African American community. 

I won’t comment on it more than that. The reasons for that perception are numerous, everything from cultural norms to wrestling cultures self inflicted wounds,  But denying that is naive.

The real elephant in the room race wise is reffing.. something that every single person who has coached black athletes for any extended period of time can share many, many stories about over drinks. 

TS, threads premise is, no pun intended, threadbare. And actually distracts from the real issues. See above. 

8 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Wrestling is without a doubt considered either a rural white sport or a rich white suburban sport by a large chunk of the African American community. 

I won’t comment on it more than that. The reasons for that perception are numerous, everything from cultural norms to wrestling cultures self inflicted wounds,  But denying that is naive.

The real elephant in the room race wise is reffing.. something that every single person who has coached black athletes for any extended period of time can share many, many stories about over drinks. 

TS, threads premise is, no pun intended, threadbare. And actually distracts from the real issues. See above. 

Pretend we are having drinks.  Share some stories.  This may be enlightening.

18 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I don’t think most people would consider it a “rich white suburban sport” IMO

2 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

There names may have been mentioned above somewhere but 3 all-time greats were Chris Campbell, Joe Williams and T.J. Williams....I'll leave it at that.

But they weren’t state champs within the last 15 years... lol

18 minutes ago, npope said:

Oh c'mon guys, this is getting ridiculous. I think we all know that the bottom line is that Iowa (or any other school) should be recruiting the best wrestlers available regardless of their skin color. The issue initially raised was that maybe Iowa isn't doing that because of some statistics presented over the past 15 years. Iowa wrestling, with its historical wealth of great black athletes, including national champs, does not deserve to be cast in this negative light (and I am NOT an Iowa fan).

Class is a new poster (at least a new name) and he latched on to a volatile topic (race) to get things roiling on the forum. Kudos to him for hitting on a topic that generated six pages of response so far. If any of you truly think that Iowa is somehow not recruiting the best athletes out there, regardless of race, you are living under a rock. The evidence repeatedly cited is a lack of black H.S. state champs in the last 15 years. Fine, but that fact does not embrace at all the fact that the wrestlers themselves are at least 50% of this equation - they may not want to live in Iowa City for four years - no matter who is the coach. Class has laid out one hypothesis and ignored multiple other possible explanations. And six pages worth or responses have taken the bait. I am sure Class is very pleased with himself.

Ordinarily I would be pleased with this particular stirring of the pot, but in this highly sensitized racial environment, maybe it isn't the most positive of topics.

Have you not read the last two pages? 

If they are indeed recruiting minorities, they are  unsuccessful.  Why?  It is a legit question.  Maybe it is Iowa city, but other sports at Iowa don't look like the proverbial sore thumb. Iowa is a great place for wrestling..  Most recruits want athletic opportunities more than anything else.  It is very odd. 

Side note:

why is a good black wrestler always called an athlete or spoken about how athletic they are/were?

It’s happened a few times in this thread and ALWAYS during the NCAAs on ESPN.

6 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

There names may have been mentioned above somewhere but 3 all-time greats were Chris Campbell, Joe Williams and T.J. Williams....I'll leave it at that.

Different generation, coaches, culture.  Only the singlet design remains.  Although, I assume, Chris Campbell's was made of wool.