Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Oklahoma State History

Wow I can’t believe how many guys they have that were 3 for 3 in NCAA championships! That’s pretty incredible and makes you wonder how many would have been 4 timers if they had the chance. Anyone know if any others were undefeated like Uetake?

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Sorry I was more just referring to in terms of college accomplishments, not necessarily “best,” in response to the suggestion to “take the medal score of tbe 3 best years.”

Uetake never lost in college, he was never challenged, he was arguably the best collegiant wrestler all time which also makes him the best OSU college wrestler all time.  And again, he won gold while in college so also best in the world at his weight class at that same point in time (and actually for 4 yrs) in college.  John & Pat both lost.  Ask John & Pat if you dont believe me.  

On 8/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, 1032004 said:

I don’t think Uetake has an argument over Pat Smith (and yes I know these rankings are just based on math).  Regardless of the circumstances, 4 titles is better than 3 even if the guy with 3 never had a chance for 4.

Smith did have 5 losses, and I know he wrestled a lot more matches.....I think I just saw 121 wins.

32 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

How to rank OSU wrestlers all-time definitely depends on how much weight you give to Jordan Oliver 100% taking down Logan Steiber even if he didn't get his hand raised, but it's pretty wild that would only jump him up to #5 for accolades here.

I would take Alan Fried over Jordan Oliver. 

To be fair to the Hawkeyes OSU was a powerhouse for several decades before the Hawkeyes smartly hired Gable. I bet ISU are still kicking themselves in the ass (and rightly so) for letting Gable get away from them. ISU repeated their bad decision many years later by letting Cael get away from them (yeah, I'm one of the guys who think ISU would be dominating college wrestling if Cael had stayed).

Edited by TobusRex

On 8/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, Tom Riddle said:

Pat Smith
 Alex Dieringer
Jake Rosholt

Man, you won't find many Rosholt fans here. I loved the guy, he was a straight up goon on the mat and always showed up for NCAAs. Lost a lot of matches though, comparatively speaking.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, TobusRex said:

Man, you won't find many Rosholt fans here. I loved the guy, he was a straight up goon on the mat and always showed up for NCAAs. Lost a lot of matches though, comparatively speaking.

IDAHO! 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, TobusRex said:

Probably because he had the most smug, punchable face of all time. Says a lot considering teammates Johny & Johnny are #1B and 1C in the same category.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, jackwebster said:

Not one of the best I'm sure, but my dad was good friends/college roommates with Don Favor (sp?) In the late 50's. Is this name familiar to any OSU fans?

A bit before my time I'm afraid. Tell us about him.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:01 PM, bnwtwg said:

Probably because he had the most smug, punchable face of all time. Says a lot considering teammates Johny & Johnny are #1B and 1C in the same category.

Wrong. The most punchable face of all time belongs to Jim Bakker, the televangelist/conman. At BEST Roshlolt has the 2nd most punchable mug.

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Wrong. The most punchable face of all time belongs to Jim Bakker, the televangelist/conman. At BEST Roshlolt has the 2nd most punchable mug.

Before Bakker went to prison, did you know that this  crook  guy was one of his pilots? He "blows the wind of god" on your opinion! Rosholt will always be punchable-est

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland Spits the Wind of God on Covid-19 ...

On 8/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, bnwtwg said:

IIRC, during his MMA days he never had any boxing defense and took a lot of punhces to the face.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

nah ... I've now cracked ~half dozen phone screens and one computer screen whilst attempting to punch the tRex profile image on these here forums   :(

;)

19 hours ago, ionel said:

nah ... I've now cracked ~half dozen phone screens and one computer screen whilst attempting to punch the tRex profile image on these here forums   :(

;)

You'll run out of money that way. Unless you are Roger Frizzell.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, TobusRex said:

A bit before my time I'm afraid. Tell us about him.

I don't know much. I know that they were close and that they later worked together at Webster. My dad also used him as a cautionary tale about the long term damage wrestling can do to you. I guess Favor had a bum everything later in life. My dad always told me to just go over; getting pinned a few times was better than living crippled. Here's his obit: https://www.mmsfuneralhomes.com/m/obituaries/Donald-Don-Favor/Memories

Ohh...My dad said that he regularly went to practice and got to know Chesbro and Roderick. Brutal goes in my dad's telling but, then again, he also told me to turn over if something hurt.

Now that I have a bum everything, I wonder if I should have listened 

Edited by jackwebster

On 7/28/2020 at 10:23 PM, gimpeltf said:

I don't know how many times this needs to be said. This is purely math not a judgment.

If we're going with the "purely math" approach, we probably need two lists -- one for the three-year era and one for the four-year era.

List also doesn't have Dwayne Keller, who like Gable only lost one match in his collegiate career, the finals match of his senior year the day after his wife gave birth to his son.

But the best wrestler in Cowboy history may have been Yoshiro Fujita, who later beat Uetake in the Japanese Oly Trials