jerseywrestling

1984 NCAA Champions

So Albright wins the toss and chooses top instead?  Or he defers and somehow rides out Thacker in the 2nd, chooses down in the third and has all sorts of energy to get an escape when he couldn’t get an escape in real life when he was fresher in the 2nd period. Doesn’t make sense.
Back in 1984 it was top or bottom. No neutral, no defer. Old school. Kinda.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Back in 1984 it was top or bottom. No neutral, no defer. Old school. Kinda.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You’re right.  My memory failed me.  

Still, my point remains:  If Albright wins the coin toss, the only thing that changes is he maybe rides out Thacker in the 2nd, then still doesn’t escape in the 3rd.  Now they go to OT.  And if he was said to be worn out from Thacker’s weight in 2nd period, then he would be worn out by Thacker’s weight in the 3rd.  So now he’s in OT and really worn out.  Now he’s gonna win the match?

On 7/29/2020 at 11:43 AM, Old Corps said:

I never saw Tab Thacker wrestle. 

Was he skilled? 

How did he typically defeat his opponents...feet to back takedowns, using his weight advantage from the top position, etc? 

When he got on top he'd break down his opponent, throw a half, and put his weight behind it.  

Also worth remembering that there weren't full wrestle-backs in 1984.  If you lost and the person who beat you didn't reach the semis, you were done. 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, dmm53 said:

Right.   The heydays and (g)old day of guys like Chris Taylor.  Though this (non-NCAA) match unfortunately didn't go so well for the Unlimited Man:

This pic was taped to the wall of my HS wrestling room. Will never forget it. image.jpeg.588d110afb3e5af5de29b90c66ab226e.jpeg

On 7/28/2020 at 9:01 PM, jerseywrestling said:

1984 NCAA Champions

ncaa-champs-1984.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=1984 NCAA Champions

Flash back to the NCAA champions and medalists of 1984!

This class includes a three-time NCAA champion, a four-time medalist, a two-time world finalist, and a two-time world champion!

1984 NCAA Champions

118 - Carl DeStefanis, Penn State
126 - Kevin Darkus, Iowa State
134 - Scott Lynch, Penn State
142 - Jesse Reyes, Cal State-Bakersfield
150 - Kenny Monday, Oklahoma State
158 - Jim Zalesky, Iowa
167 - Mike Sheets, Oklahoma State
177 - Jim Scherr, Nebraska
190 - Bill Scherr, Nebraska
UNL - Tab Thacker, North Carolina State

Check out all the medalists!

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=1984

If anyone has the champions picture from another year, you can email it to support@jerseywrestling.com, and it will be added to the website!

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

There's a whole lot of ugly in that picture. I've had the honor of rolling with Kenny Monday (he was super fast/slick!). 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:57 AM, jchapman said:

This poster was in every wrestling room I was in during the 80s!

As it should've been :D 

The German dude throwing Taylor in that pic was a great wrestler in his own right, with a World Title and an Olympic gold, plus numerous other silvers/bronzes over his career. Despite pinning Taylor, Dietrich failed to place at that Olympics while Chris went on to win Bronze. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfried_Dietrich

Edited by TobusRex

14 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

As it should've been :D 

The German dude throwing Taylor in that pic was a great wrestler in his own right, with a World Title and an Olympic gold, plus numerous other silvers/bronzes over his career. Despite pinning Taylor, Dietrich failed to place at that Olympics while Chris went on to win Bronze. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfried_Dietrich

Dietrich was a stud.  Taylor wrestled him at the end of a long career in 1972.

Dietrich threw Taylor in their Greco match.  Neither placed in Greco.  Taylor beat Dietrich in freestyle and that is where he won the bronze in 1972.

1 hour ago, fatlaz said:

...And as late as 1961 Dietrich wrestled 87kg (191lbs) .  So he wasn't a really big guy.  Obviously very strong and scouted Taylor and used his momentum.

Rumor has it that Dietrich greeted Taylor with a hug prior to the ‘72 Olympics.  He was scouting to see if he could get his arms around Taylor.

50 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Rumor has it that Dietrich greeted Taylor with a hug prior to the ‘72 Olympics.  He was scouting to see if he could get his arms around Taylor.

Supposedly at a party the night before.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's true and don't particularly care.

Pekka Litmanen on Twitter: "Mark Twain: “Never let the truth get ...