Did Notre Dame Football just save UVA and Duke Wrestling?

One downside is I think it said the TV money is "only" $15MM per year.  So I guess when you spread that out across the schools and in theory the teams within the schools, it may not be as helpful as first thought

Edited by 1032004

14 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

There's probably an interesting story there.

An alum gave money to endow wrestling. I think early to mid 90s. The guy dies and the ad talked the widow into putting the money in the general fund. Then they dropped. You didn't hear this?

Edited by gimpeltf

22 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

An alum gave money to endow wrestling. I think early to mid 90s. The guy does and the ad talked the widow into putting the money in the general fund. Then they dropped. You didn't hear this?

How does that mean the football team killed it though?

13 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

An alum gave money to endow wrestling. I think early to mid 90s. The guy does and the ad talked the widow into putting the money in the general fund. Then they dropped. You didn't hear this?

1992.  Pre-internet era.  Nobody ever heard anything.  Like a tree falling in the forest with nobody there to hear it.

1 minute ago, jdalu75 said:

1992.  Pre-internet era.  Nobody ever heard anything.  Like a tree falling in the forest with nobody there to hear it.

Pretty well covered actually. I don't know if we knew this all in '92. Might have been coming out over a few years.

17 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How does that mean the football team killed it though?

It was less about money and more that the AD didn’t want to deal with wrestling. The time it took for wrestling could be shifted to football.   I also heard that Coach McCann wasn’t a well liked fellow. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:00 PM, RichB said:

So I think Army and BYU are the only other independents. They may have to play each other 6 time, plus Army play Air Force and navy

Just don't play on Sunday

Notre Dame can eat a bag of feces.  Screw them.  My hometown was the Fighting Irish like 200 other high schools in the country.  Tornado wiped out my hometown and while on CNN  for a few days apparently Notre Dame was mad we had a similar logo and sued our town.  They aren't the epitomy of anything good.  They can eat shards of glass and pour bleach in their eyes.

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

Notre Dame can eat a bag of feces.  Screw them.  My hometown was the Fighting Irish like 200 other high schools in the country.  Tornado wiped out my hometown and while on CNN  for a few days apparently Notre Dame was mad we had a similar logo and sued our town.  They aren't the epitomy of anything good.  They can eat shards of glass and pour bleach in their eyes.

Greensburg KS?