Sign in to follow this  
OCGrappler

Intermat Top 5 recruits of 2009

One of these things is not like the others...one of these things is not the same....

yeah, ed ruth hasn't ever really been tested in a match. All honestly, he should have been 4x'r as well, how do you get yourself stacked while up 7-2??? Looking on Penn States site says he injured himself in QF's of his first NCAA's, which led to th eloss. He did come back to take 3rd.

No all jokes aside, the answer to your question is 2 fold, 1 is 4x champ, 1 also did not take a RS year.

One of these things is not like the others...one of these things is not the same....

yeah, ed ruth hasn't ever really been tested in a match. All honestly, he should have been 4x'r as well, how do you get yourself stacked while up 7-2??? Looking on Penn States site says he injured himself in QF's of his first NCAA's, which led to th eloss. He did come back to take 3rd.

No all jokes aside, the answer to your question is 2 fold, 1 is 4x champ, 1 also did not take a RS year.

He lead in that match 2-0 then 2-1. Amuchastegui took him down then wore his knee out. Ruth couldn't continue after the 2nd period ended:

From what I remember Ruth was getting hammered pretty good by Amuch when he defaulted. I think he'd given up NF points twice and was getting ridden like Seattle Slew.

That is correct. Amuch was taking it to Ruth on top. Of course, Ed made up for it last year by pummeling Amuch in the finals. Ruth will have to be considered among the best ever, even more so than Taylor, if he runs the table again next year.

Speaking of this, why was Dake rated so highly coming out of high school? I don't remember him being talked about much back then (Certainly not like Taylor, Grajales, and Ruth were). Also, a two time state champion from NY isn't typically considered top 5 recruit material.

Cant blame em, I remember how bad Grajales tore up that 3x state champ from PA. He looked like he was toying with good wrestlers at times.

What 3x state champ?

Pretty certain it was Dane Johnson from Shadyside Academy that Grajales pinned in the Dapper Dan.

I don't really remember Ruth being talked about in the same breath as Taylor and Grajales. I mean I know he was good but sophomore and junior year he did not even make the state finals in PA.

dake was a 3x natl champ soph yr beat ligouri battle of ny state champs (everyone in ny assumed ligouri would win). 2008 at 130 after losing to paddock in the state finals he beat kodie silvestri in the natl finals (who beat paddock in the semis). in 2009 he also beat 2x state champ mike nevinger with ease in the state finals. also in 2009 battle of 3x state champs at 135 eckstrom vs paddock (eckstrom would win in the state finals avenging the regional lose, paddock tore his shoulder in the qf of the state tourney)

Speaking of this, why was Dake rated so highly coming out of high school? I don't remember him being talked about much back then (Certainly not like Taylor, Grajales, and Ruth were). Also, a two time state champion from NY isn't typically considered top 5 recruit material.

There was some talk, as I recall. The consensus was that it was correct to rank him above Colin Palmer (they were in the same weight class).

What amazed me about Grajales over the last three years is how small his gas tank is. Maybe he doesn't work hard enough? Maybe he just doesn't have the gift of a great heart rate and stamina that the others do.

I don't really remember Ruth being talked about in the same breath as Taylor and Grajales. I mean I know he was good but sophomore and junior year he did not even make the state finals in PA.

Ruth certainly wasn't as well known when high school first started as Grajales or Taylor. I think most people first heard about Ruth when he almost knocked off Q at states. After that he went to Blair and things took off from there. After he knocked off Chris Phillips at Ironman, I think he officially entered the discussion of the top members of his recruiting class.

Ruth certainly wasn't as well known when high school first started as Grajales or Taylor. I think most people first heard about Ruth when he almost knocked off Q at states. After that he went to Blair and things took off from there. After he knocked off Chris Perry at Ironman, I think he officially entered the discussion of the top members of his recruiting class.

Ruth knocked off Chris Phillips, not Chris Perry.

Ruth certainly wasn't as well known when high school first started as Grajales or Taylor. I think most people first heard about Ruth when he almost knocked off Q at states. After that he went to Blair and things took off from there. After he knocked off Chris Perry at Ironman, I think he officially entered the discussion of the top members of his recruiting class.

Ruth knocked off Chris Phillips, not Chris Perry.

That's what I meant. When Phillips won Ironman by dominating Roddy as a freshman, I thought for sure he was destined to be a multiple time NCAA champ.

He was a stud in high school that's for sure. Turns out, roddy didn't do anything at the college level and Phillips has yet to step foot on the mat, not sure if he ever will. So many high school studs don't pan out at the college level.

He was a stud in high school that's for sure. Turns out, roddy didn't do anything at the college level and Phillips has yet to step foot on the mat, not sure if he ever will. So many high school studs don't pan out at the college level.

It's crazy how often it happens. Along with Phillips, Colin Palmer, and Tony Jameson are two other 4 time Ohio state champions who didn't make a peep in college. Felipe Martinez didn't even make it to his fourth title. While guys like Winston and Grajales haven't really panned out like we thought they would, They have done more in college than a vast number of high school studs.

It's crazy how often it happens. Along with Phillips, Colin Palmer, and Tony Jameson are two other 4 time Ohio state champions who didn't make a peep in college. Felipe Martinez didn't even make it to his fourth title. While guys like Winston and Grajales haven't really panned out like we thought they would, They have done more in college than a vast number of high school studs.

Tony Jameson had a narrow neck spine injury which forced him out for good (very unfortunate because he was one of most exciting wrestlers to watch). Collin Palmer had a MRSA in back along with other personal reason that forced him out. Chris Phillips is struggling with the desire in academics. Chris Phillips has incredible talent and would have been multi-AA or NCAA champ. His sole loss in HS was to Ed Ruth by a single point.

Edit: Felipe Martinez chose to skip the state tournament to attend his grandmother's funeral. He would've been 4x state champ.

We tell guys this in our room all the time. Guys don't progress at the same rate. The guy who was thumping you last year in high school may be the guy you're beating in the blood round to make All-American status at the collegiate level. I believe this idea is very hard for kids to understand and grasp, let alone casual fans of the sport who believe that if your guy is dominant as a sixth grader that everyone will progress at the same rate and your guy will be well on his way to four NCAA titles and five Olympic and World titles. Fans often forget the human aspect to all of this, to which there are a whole bunch of them.

Kyle Dake jumped into top 5 when he defeated Collin Palmer in all-star match or similar match afterwards.