Sign in to follow this  
OCGrappler

Intermat Top 5 recruits of 2009

Speaking of this, why was Dake rated so highly coming out of high school? I don't remember him being talked about much back then (Certainly not like Taylor, Grajales, and Ruth were). Also, a two time state champion from NY isn't typically considered top 5 recruit material.
Kyle Dake jumped into top 5 when he defeated Collin Palmer in all-star match or similar match afterwards.

Do you have any more details about this match? I'm surprised I've never heard of this before. If so, that's definitely grounds for being top 5.

Edit: Felipe Martinez chose to skip the state tournament to attend his grandmother's funeral. He would've been 4x state champ.

You sure about that? Martinez wrestled that season everywhere from 195 to 170 and was extremely undersized at each of those weight classes. I remember the general consensus being that he would have eventually been knocked off if he had wrestled in the post season.

Edit: Felipe Martinez chose to skip the state tournament to attend his grandmother's funeral. He would've been 4x state champ.

You sure about that? Martinez wrestled that season everywhere from 195 to 170 and was extremely undersized at each of those weight classes. I remember the general consensus being that he would have eventually been knocked off if he had wrestled in the post season.

Yes, Felipe was overweight, but he transferred to Genoa from St. Paris Graham. Genoa is Division 3 school. He was a favorite to win regardless. His talent would have overcome his weight problem. Beside, he was already Sectional and Districit champion before dropping out of States to attend his grandmother's funeral.

Speaking of this, why was Dake rated so highly coming out of high school? I don't remember him being talked about much back then (Certainly not like Taylor, Grajales, and Ruth were). Also, a two time state champion from NY isn't typically considered top 5 recruit material.
Kyle Dake jumped into top 5 when he defeated Collin Palmer in all-star match or similar match afterwards.

Do you have any more details about this match? I'm surprised I've never heard of this before. If so, that's definitely grounds for being top 5.

I will have to dig out the old records. It happened in 2009, I believe. I will be back with it when I have time.

I will have to dig out the old records. It happened in 2009, I believe. I will be back with it when I have time.

Are you sure you arnt talking about this?

One of these things is not like the others...one of these things is not the same....

yeah, ed ruth hasn't ever really been tested in a match. All honestly, he should have been 4x'r as well, how do you get yourself stacked while up 7-2??? Looking on Penn States site says he injured himself in QF's of his first NCAA's, which led to th eloss. He did come back to take 3rd.

No all jokes aside, the answer to your question is 2 fold, 1 is 4x champ, 1 also did not take a RS year.

He lead in that match 2-0 then 2-1. Amuchastegui took him down then wore his knee out. Ruth couldn't continue after the 2nd period ended:

No, Amuch did not work the LEFT leg during that ride - which is the one apparently too injured to continue at the time of the injdef. The right leg is the one he is working and the one the announcer has concerns about. The earlier injury time was about the shoulder - the left one. I think that he was simply broken. The announcer addresses the lost look on his face and expression of bewilderment. Since then, he has come back very nicely, of course.

No, Amuch did not work the LEFT leg during that ride - which is the one apparently too injured to continue at the time of the injdef. The right leg is the one he is working and the one the announcer has concerns about. The earlier injury time was about the shoulder - the left one. I think that he was simply broken. The announcer addresses the lost look on his face and expression of bewilderment. Since then, he has come back very nicely, of course.

I think it became pretty clear the following year that the injury he sustained was probably 95% to blame for him losing to Amuch - especially like that. I mean we all know how quickly/effortlessly Ruth can score. Not to mention how badly he manhandled Amuch the following year.

There were pages upon pages of this discussion after it happened - obviously those on the side of "the injury had a lot to do with it" were correct (as opposed to those saying "he was faking" or something similar)

I actually can't believe this is being discussed again.

Well, I cannot find it. I would have sworn that Collin Palmer did meet Kyle Dake once and lost to him. Guess not. I do recall that Collin Palmer was to meet Kyle Dake at HS Sr nationals but did not show up (maybe, due to injury or something else?)

I do recall that Collin Palmer lost to David Taylor in great epic match, though.

Ruth HAD surgery following the season for a meniscus injury. I'm not his doctor and don't have his diagnosis, but if any of you have ever had a bucket tear of the meniscus, you know that it can be excruciating when part of the tear flops into the joint and your knee locks up. You also know how quickly the lock up can go away when the tissue frees itself from the joint and you feel like you are fine again.

I'm not saying this is exactly what happened to Ruth, I don't know, nobody knows except Ruth, the trainers and the coaches. But you guys who sit in the stands and proclaim that Ruth got broken that day don't know squat either.

Injury or not , Ruth would still have to have gotten by Reader and I don't think that would have happened. Ruth was still very green then and was not the wrestler he has been these last two years. He very well may have won that year, but to say he definitely should have is foolish.

Injury or not , Ruth would still have to have gotten by Reader and I don't think that would have happened. Ruth was still very green then and was not the wrestler he has been these last two years. He very well may have won that year, but to say he definitely should have is foolish.

Agreed that to say he definitely beats Reader is foolish - Reader was a monster. BUT...I think you are forgetting exactly how good Ruth was (even being "green").

He beat Henrich and Lewnes (the #1/#2 ranked guys for most of that season) on the same day - twice!

I think Ruth beats Reader - but we will never know. I just think it is just as silly to say he had no chance to win (I know that is not what you said exactly) as it is to say he had no chance to lose.

Found this old thread from around that time:

http://liwa.websitetoolbox.com/post/quo ... ke-3418416

interesting that Dake was only ranked 9th in the country at 140 prior to attending senior nationals.

I found this quote especially amusing:

"Taylor and Dake would be a good one....both very cautious offensive and very good defensive wrestlers.

If its one match for ALL THE MARBLES....I'll take the kid from Lansing, NY"- LIMarty