Sign in to follow this  
irani

2020 world championships

I predict the event will be cancelled.

Apparently, you need to have 8 out of the top 10 ranked teams agree to participate, and at the moment, US, Iran, Japan and India are against having the games.  Russia really wants  the games, but I just don't see a path forward.

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/267680/ایران-آمریکا-ژاپن-هند-و-مخالفِ-کُشتی-در-کرونا

Edited by irani

I don't think there is much chance of it happening at all, Russia has influence in UWW but they can't force these countries to send teams. I also wonder why Russia wants it to to happen so bad, their national tournament was just delayed for 20 days due to corona. Even if UWW is able to host tournaments again then they should prioritise the Olympic qualifier tournaments over a world championship.

http://iawf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=58794&th=

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I don't think there is much chance of it happening at all, Russia has influence in UWW but they can't force these countries to send teams. I also wonder why Russia wants it to to happen so bad, their national tournament was just delayed for 20 days due to corona. Even if UWW is able to host tournaments again then they should prioritise the Olympic qualifier tournaments over a world championship.

http://iawf.ir/Content/Content.aspx?PageCode=58794&th=

Love the link.  I am doing to do what I hate, which is go on a tangent completely unrelated to this thread.

I enjoyed watching Karimi's physical therapy video.  I would say he is very close to 100%.  Interesting that they refer to him as a 97 Kg wrestler.

2 minutes ago, irani said:

Love the link.  I am doing to do what I hate, which is go on a tangent completely unrelated to this thread.

I enjoyed watching Karimi's physical therapy video.  I would say he is very close to 100%.  Interesting that they refer to him as a 97 Kg wrestler.

Yes he has decided to go 97. Interesting choice because if he wanted he could have stayed at 86, even with 2 day weigh in. He was not cutting weight back at 86. Obviously he really doesn't want to wrestle Hassan Yazdani. But this choice was made before Mohammadian did what he did in Italy, lol. 

Agree that it’s looking doubtful right now, but has USAW officially declined participation? I thought it was more of a let’s wait and see approach. Also, is Russia pushing for Worlds this year because they’re not officially banned for doping yet, or is it to get the sanctions clock started sooner than later? I lost track of their appeal.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Agree that it’s looking doubtful right now, but has USAW officially declined participation? I thought it was more of a let’s wait and see approach. Also, is Russia pushing for Worlds this year because they’re not officially banned for doping yet, or is it to get the sanctions clock started sooner than later? I lost track of their appeal.

Definitely trying to start the clock as soon as they can. Absolute worst case scenario is significant delays again in 2021 which leads to missing winter olympics $

3 hours ago, pamela said:

Great questions, and I do not know the answers.  My information is limited to the Iranian source that I shared

At this point, I beleieve the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:13 AM, Shiraz123 said:

Yes he has decided to go 97. Interesting choice because if he wanted he could have stayed at 86, even with 2 day weigh in. He was not cutting weight back at 86. Obviously he really doesn't want to wrestle Hassan Yazdani. But this choice was made before Mohammadian did what he did in Italy, lol. 

Who does he have a better chance of beating, Yazdani at 86 or Mohammadian at 97?  I think Yazdani's spot at 86 is all but guaranteed. 

42 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Who does he have a better chance of beating, Yazdani at 86 or Mohammadian at 97?  I think Yazdani's spot at 86 is all but guaranteed. 

hmmmmm... not sure lol. He already lost a one sided match to Yazdani in 2017 trials, so at least you could say Mohammadian hasn't wrestled him yet. I think his chances are very low either way. 

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

I will always root for Karimi (unless against U.S.).

he's a very very good, very consistent, high level results and yet he can never do anything to make the Iranian fans happy haha. 

He is very good, I just think he got caught in a tough spot for these Olympics

I think Karimi ends up flying under the radar from running into Sadulaev and Cox, and now being behind Yazdani. He's has been to six straight age or senior level championships coming home with 4 medals.  His losses in those tournaments break down as one to Sadulaev, three to Cox, and one thrown match where he was leading.  He has solid wins in there as well.

Year Event Weight Place Notes
2014 Junior Worlds 84 Gold Teched way through; 10-0, 10-0, 10-0, 12-2
2015 Worlds 86 Bronze lost 6-2 to Sadualaev in semis; 5 wins with 4 techs including in bronze match
2016 Olympics 86 7th lost 5-1 to Cox in quarters; not pulled into repechage
2017 U23 Worlds 86 13th lost 14-3 to Zhabrailov; was winning 3-2 with 1:05 left when threw match to avoid Israeli wrestler next round;  Zhabrailov won U23
2018 Worlds 92 Bronze lost 5-2 to Cox in Semis; had 7-0 win over Sharifov; 12-1 win over Tcakulov; then 12-1 win over Marsagashivili for bronze
2019 Worlds 92 Silver lost 4-0 to Cox in finals; teched way to finals including 10-0 win over Zhabrailov

4 hours ago, FlyinLion said:

I think Karimi ends up flying under the radar from running into Sadulaev and Cox, and now being behind Yazdani. He's has been to six straight age or senior level championships coming home with 4 medals.

seven actually, he was on Junior Worlds team for 2013 too. teched everybody before running into Israel in the semis. and you know the rest of the story.

17 hours ago, wrestfan said:

seven actually, he was on Junior Worlds team for 2013 too. teched everybody before running into Israel in the semis. and you know the rest of the story.

Yes, Valiev ended up winning junior worlds that year. Karimi finally got to wrestle and beat him 10 - 0 in the tournament in Armenia shortly before the 2016 Olympics 

Edited by Shiraz123

On 8/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, Husker_Du said:

I will always root for Karimi (unless against U.S.).

The only times recently he's needed rooting is when he is up against US (Cox)

Edited by irani