Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Will the season happen?

Will there be a wrestling season?  

81 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What is the likelihood that there will be a college wrestling season?

• Less than 10%
    • 50% - as likely it will happen as won’t
    • Will definitely happen, could be delayed
    • Will definitely happen, but some teams won’t compete at all

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2020 at 04:00 PM

1 minute ago, AnklePicker said:

This to me sounds like you are encouraging kids to go to clubs. Imo USAWNJ should be doing the exact opposite. 

You're reading way too much into this. Calm down. And again, I was responding to your statement that clubs won't help. I said clubs may be all that will help. I wasn't saying right now.

Thanks for the recommendation but I don’t need to calm down. This is a life and death thing for many people. I’m tired of people minimizing it.

Your response above was to my post about how we have clubs running RIGHT NOW, go back and reread it.  

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I was asking about NJ, where it seems the lockdown is still in effect. 

I get what you're saying, but this was a USAW event with wrestlers from approx 25 states.  Some with a number of restrictions in effect.

I'm not condoning anything, but I know there are many that are wrestling/practicing un-sanctioned and it's not only in garages/basements, but in clubs/facilities.

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Thanks for the recommendation but I don’t need to calm down. This is a life and death thing for many people. I’m tired of people minimizing it.

Your response above was to my post about how we have clubs running RIGHT NOW, go back and reread it.  

Wow...SMH...

How hard is this for some to understand....IF YOU ARE AT RISK OR ARE WORRIED THAT THE VIRUS WILL KILL YOU, STAY HOME!!!  Let others do their thing.

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Wow...SMH...

How hard is this for some to understand....IF YOU ARE AT RISK OR ARE WORRIED THAT THE VIRUS WILL KILL YOU, STAY HOME!!!  Let others do their thing.

You seem to be the one who is having a hard time understanding, actually, dman. Letting others "do their thing" is problematic when a large portion of the population doesn't have the option to work virtually and needs to be on-site to provide for themselves their families. They should be able to go to their jobs and earn money for their family with some level of protection from the virus. When you give the public free reign to "do their thing" working class people now have to show up to their jobs with a far greater risk of contracting the virus and potentially spreading it to their family/friends. Get it?

Edited by lurk_nowitzki

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I understand where you are coming from and do agree with you.  But it's a perfect scenario.  Club coaches who rely on their club for a living and are not eligible for unemployment or even the PPP (no employees besides themselves) and wrestlers who are determined to be a success and want to win at all costs.

None of this makes any sense.  On one hand there may be no college football this fall and D1 wrestling has been pushed to after January 1st (if at all).  But here in PA, the PIAA is allowing fall sports with no spectators and the PIAA is not a "conservative" organization and I suspect they know there is a good chance there will be no winter sports so they are forcing fall sports so they don't have to grant "age eligible" athletes another year of eligibility because spring sports were shut down so some athletes will have missed an entire year of their sports.

2 hours ago, dman115 said:

Wow...SMH...

This attitude will be the reason we won’t have a regular season. Put a fork in it. Thanks buddy. 

Edited by AnklePicker

14 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I’m not sure if you are being facetious...but assuming you are serious...I don’t live in NJ so am not familiar with the current lockdown rules in the area, but I can’t imagine that this allowed. Obviously you will still spread the virus when wrestling even if you are outside. 

Why in the world would an outdoor club be a facetious suggestion? All you need is a 42 ft square flat area, and a 42 ft sq tarp. maybe some protective mats, if you use a parking lot instead of grass. You roll them out at the start of each session, and back at the end of practice. If the rain comes up suddenly, it will not hurt the mats. Put some fans up on one side, and you mitigated the problem. It is not safe, but it is safer than indoors with no fans. Maybe as safe as indoor basketball. 

No, I don't think it is safe, but someone could do it, and maybe get away with it

I can't see it, some schools are having Classes ONLY Online as it  is not safe, Imagine the Lawsuits if they have them play when at the SAME TIME they are saying it is not safe to go to class, much less Physical sports like Wrestling and Football, and knowing many Football Linemen have an underlying Condition (Obesity), also COVID is a Respiratory Virus which tend to be worse in Winter.

Article on Football player who had it.  https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2020/8/3/21353270/iu-freshman-brady-feeney-still-struggling-after-covid-19-diagnosis

Edited by dougb

The Governor of PA just said if schools are doing virtual classrooms, there cannot be any fall sports. 

This is something the teacher's union has been pushing for.

Edited by Boompa

19 hours ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

You seem to be the one who is having a hard time understanding, actually, dman. Letting others "do their thing" is problematic when a large portion of the population doesn't have the option to work virtually and needs to be on-site to provide for themselves their families. They should be able to go to their jobs and earn money for their family with some level of protection from the virus. When you give the public free reign to "do their thing" working class people now have to show up to their jobs with a far greater risk of contracting the virus and potentially spreading it to their family/friends. Get it?

And here is where your argument falls short on so many levels:

Who have had to go to work since the beginning of all of this?  And those workers for a while didn't even have to wear masks, or have the plastic barriers up between them and customers.  Why aren't those people and their friends/family dropping dead left and right?  And based on your logic, those people who HAVE to go to work in person, shouldn't they have to essentially quarantine themselves and not be around said friends/family?   Unless every time before they see their friends/family they tested negative...and let me repeat...EVERY TIME they get done with work and need to be around friends/family.  And based on your logic are you essentially saying ALL the long lines at Costco/Wal-Mart/Target/grocery stores are now NOT okay??  Or is that NOT free reign to "do their thing"??  And here is the biggest hypocrisy that I see...it is people like you and others with this fear mongering attitude and want the one size fits all approach, are the ones who violate the very things they blast others for doing.  I assume you aren't attending family gatherings?  I assume you do not go to bars/restaurants?  I assume you are against all the "protests" and riots, going to church, people having large gatherings, etc.?  I assume when you put your mask on you don't take it off until you get home and can adequately sanitize your hands before touching said mask?  Along those lines I assume you know how to properly fit a mask to your face?  I assume when ever you have been around a stranger and couldn't social distance (you probably don't even know the definition of social distance), did you stay away from your friends/family for 2 weeks until you stayed symptom free or tested negative so you don't spread the virus?  Maybe you are one of those that wears gloves when you go out to the grocery store but don't change them each time you touch a new item?  GET IT???

It really isn't that complicated.  STAY HOME if you are afraid or are in the high risk category.  All others...be smart and practice good hygiene.  Wear the mask in large gatherings of strangers.  If you get sick, STAY HOME!  And finally...PLEASE let our kids get back to normal...let them play sports and get them back in school.

37 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Who have had to go to work since the beginning of all of this?  And those workers for a while didn't even have to wear masks, or have the plastic barriers up between them and customers.  Why aren't those people and their friends/family dropping dead left and right?  And based on your logic, those people who HAVE to go to work in person, shouldn't they have to essentially quarantine themselves and not be around said friends/family?   Unless every time before they see their friends/family they tested negative...and let me repeat...EVERY TIME they get done with work and need to be around friends/family.  And based on your logic are you essentially saying ALL the long lines at Costco/Wal-Mart/Target/grocery stores are now NOT okay??  Or is that NOT free reign to "do their thing"??  And here is the biggest hypocrisy that I see...it is people like you and others with this fear mongering attitude and want the one size fits all approach, are the ones who violate the very things they blast others for doing.  I assume you aren't attending family gatherings?  I assume you do not go to bars/restaurants?  I assume you are against all the "protests" and riots, going to church, people having large gatherings, etc.?  I assume when you put your mask on you don't take it off until you get home and can adequately sanitize your hands before touching said mask?  Along those lines I assume you know how to properly fit a mask to your face?  I assume when ever you have been around a stranger and couldn't social distance (you probably don't even know the definition of social distance), did you stay away from your friends/family for 2 weeks until you stayed symptom free or tested negative so you don't spread the virus?  Maybe you are one of those that wears gloves when you go out to the grocery store but don't change them each time you touch a new item?  GET IT???

It really isn't that complicated.  STAY HOME if you are afraid or are in the high risk category.  All others...be smart and practice good hygiene.  Wear the mask in large gatherings of strangers.  If you get sick, STAY HOME!  And finally...PLEASE let our kids get back to normal...let them play sports and get them back in school.

Why are you so angry? Children carry coronavirus at a more likely rate than than adults. They may not suffer but others will. What's one year without a sports season? Apparently worth the risk to lose one next year to you. 

45 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Dude. This is in****ingcomprehensible. 

Typical response when one can't come back with anything logical or have the ability to address the points.  I get it...you want everything to be locked down and are afraid...I don't and am not...I just personally think there are other ways to deal with this.  And isn't it funny who some pick and chose to have the "outrage" about...I think it is absolutely terrible to take away opportunities from kids...others feel that is absolutely terrible that the virus is really bad for older folks with preexisting conditions; thus, EVERYONE should suffer.  Ironic part is I too am worried about the at risk group like my parents, but you know what, they are adults and can make their own decisions such as staying home.  If they want to see me and my son then they can zoom or we can sit outside and chat with them.  If they want to risk it then they can invite me inside.  Point being it should be THEIR decision. 

So if you think this isn't cause to be "angry" then I am not sure what would be?!?!  And actually I am not angry at all...quite the opposite...I like the debate and actually do listen to all sides and open to new thoughts and ideas.  To share...I was totally against the wearing a mask thing...still have yet to see true "science" behind it but got on board and whatever it is it is...but point being is I wear it.  Anyway, if one sentence responses with asinine rebuttals are your idea of debate and sharing ideas than so be it...have fun being a closed minded individual stuck at home bathing in hand sanitizer thinking everyone else should be doing the same.

3 hours ago, dman115 said:

Have you not heard about the massive outbreaks at meat processing plants?  These are people who are typically low paid, but need to go to work.  If they stay home, you don't get food.

Have you not heard about outbreaks on farms?  Again:  they stay home, you go hungry.

CALIFORNIA: The largest outbreak that has occurred to date in California is occurring on a berry farm in Ventura County, where 188 H-2A workers have tested positive.[16] In late July, another outbreak among H-2A workers in Santa Barbara county has occurred, with 40 workers testing positive, one of whom has died.[17] A reported 247 agricultural workers in Monterey County, California have tested positive for the virus.[18] Other outbreaks among farmworkers are being reported in California among fruit and vegetable packing house workers.[19] Over 35 employees of Calavo Growers in Ventura County tested positive in early May.[20] Ninety-seven employees of a pistachio farm in Wasco, California and 65 of their family members have tested positive, triggering a strike from other employees who learned of the outbreak through local news.[21–23] The rural Lake County also has an ongoing outbreak where 25 farmworkers recently tested positive.[24] At least 60 agricultural workers residing in Solano County and working in Sonoma and Napa vineyards have tested positive.[25] In San Joaquin County, 102 workers have tested positive for the virus.[26]

The rest of your diatribe is equally problematic.  Your use of false equivalency is embarrassing.

And it is "free rein," not "free reign".  Think about idiomatic expressions before you (mis)use them.

So there were outbreaks....what happened because of the outbreaks??  The information you posted mentioned only 1 person died...however, it didn't mention how that person died.  The point of me asking and saying that is do you not remember what all the "experts" have been saying since the beginning??  It isn't about people NOT getting it but rather about trying to not overwhelm the healthcare system...which has not happened.  Have there been hospitals that have been very very busy treating the elderly that have gotten really sick??  Of course, but 99% of the healthcare system has not been overwhelmed...quite the opposite...they have had to lay a lot of people off because the hospitals are completely empty.  And you are confused by what I have said...I never said everyone SHOULD stay home...quite the opposite...I said if you are scared and/or in the at risk category and you chose to do so, stay home.  If you aren't in the at risk category then go to work (all lines of work)...so the economy doesn't shut down.  So people don't go without food and meat.  So people can support their families.

And FYI...misspelling an idiomatic expression is not "misusing" them...so nice try...I'll wait till you come with better rebuttals to my posts rather than play the weak and feeble attack the grammar approach like a lot of those use who can't argue the point.

On a side note, the mini mart I stop into every morning and does not require masks has not had one employee get sick and they see over 1000 customers daily.

The entire automobile repair industry has not shut down for one day and no one has tested positive that I know of.

Employers are trying to hire people but the $600 extra for the unemployment are causing people to stay home and make more money.

Lowe's has been packed since the beginning of the pandemic but I'm not hearing of outbreaks with their employees but good luck trying to buy pressure treated lumber, there is a serious shortage.

We are now facing a steel shortage as well.

True story and I cannot go into detail because of hipaa rules but 5 employees were exposed to covid.  They went for testing and were stuck in a long line but had a meeting shortly afterwards.

They got tired of waiting and left before being tested.  The results of the "non test" came in 2 days later.  They were all positive with covid.

There are legitimate concerns with this virus but there are also a lot of scams going on out there....politically and economically and our hospitals are involved.

There is zero leadership anywhere.  In the WH, governor mansions and the U.S. Congress (both aisles).

59 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So there were outbreaks....what happened because of the outbreaks??  The information you posted mentioned only 1 person died...however, it didn't mention how that person died.  The point of me asking and saying that is do you not remember what all the "experts" have been saying since the beginning??  It isn't about people NOT getting it but rather about trying to not overwhelm the healthcare system...which has not happened.  Have there been hospitals that have been very very busy treating the elderly that have gotten really sick??  Of course, but 99% of the healthcare system has not been overwhelmed...quite the opposite...they have had to lay a lot of people off because the hospitals are completely empty.  And you are confused by what I have said...I never said everyone SHOULD stay home...quite the opposite...I said if you are scared and/or in the at risk category and you chose to do so, stay home.  If you aren't in the at risk category then go to work (all lines of work)...so the economy doesn't shut down.  So people don't go without food and meat.  So people can support their families.

And FYI...misspelling an idiomatic expression is not "misusing" them...so nice try...I'll wait till you come with better rebuttals to my posts rather than play the weak and feeble attack the grammar approach like a lot of those use who can't argue the point.

You know something?  Anyone who puts quotation marks around the word "experts" in order to dismiss their, well, expertise, doesn't warrant any more responses.  Go listen to your own "experts" (I'm guessing Trump, Hannity, anyone who still thinks hydroxychloroquine actually works for the novel coronavirus, and anyone who still thinks that masks don't work).

20 minutes ago, Boompa said:

On a side note, the mini mart I stop into every morning and does not require masks has not had one employee get sick and they see over 1000 customers daily.

The entire automobile repair industry has not shut down for one day and no one has tested positive that I know of.

Employers are trying to hire people but the $600 extra for the unemployment are causing people to stay home and make more money.

Lowe's has been packed since the beginning of the pandemic but I'm not hearing of outbreaks with their employees but good luck trying to buy pressure treated lumber, there is a serious shortage.

True story and I cannot go into detail because of hipaa rules but 5 employees were exposed to covid.  They went for testing and were stuck in a long line but had a meeting shortly afterwards.

They got tired of waiting and left before being tested.  The results of the "non test" came in 2 days later.  They were all positive with covid.

There are legitimate concerns with this virus but there are also a lot of scams going on out there....politically and economically and our hospitals are involved.

There is zero leadership anywhere.  In the WH, governor mansions and the U.S. Congress (both aisles).

So much f***ing wrong in the above.

Your mini-mart example is an anecdote, and anecdotes are useless (actually, less than useless because they lead some to dismiss actual data).

You think that the work environment in meat processing plants is anything like that of an automotive plant?  Are you surprised that robots in the latter haven't gotten sick?

"They got tired of waiting and left before being tested.  The results of the "non test" came in 2 days later.  They were all positive with covid."  Another BS urban myth you bought into that I've seen all over the place.  I call BS.

Hospital scams?  I'm guessing you also bought into the BS that hospitals are misclassifying cases as COVID-19 related to get extra reimbursement.  Another BS line fed to you by those who, for whatever reason, want to  dismiss this pandemic as "no big deal."  Is that because to do otherwise would run into massive cognitive dissonance among Trump supporters?  Beats me.

The concept that the extra $600 in unemployment is preventing re-employment is a myth that has been disproved by studies (and is obviously wrong if you use common sense:  how many people will take a few extra dollars rather than get their scarce job back?).  You are being lied to (by Mnuchin and others):  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-myth-of-unemployment-benefits-depressing-work/2020/08/03/54cca9f4-d5ba-11ea-9c3b-dfc394c03988_story.html

These analyses are by researchers at Yale; a group from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Chicago and University of California at Berkeley; economists from the University of Pennsylvania, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Glassdoor; an economist at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst; and an economist at Evercore ISI.

Using a variety of government and private-industry data sets, they all concluded the same thing: The $600 federal supplement does not appear to have depressed job growth.

As the Yale economists summarized: “We find no evidence that high [unemployment insurance] replacement rates drove job losses or slowed rehiring.” The Evercore ISI economist, Ernie Tedeschi, also observed that in June, around 70 percent of unemployment recipients who resumed working had been receiving more from benefits than their prior wage — yet nonetheless returned to work.

Why might this be the case?

Because, as a recent survey of elite economists from the University of Chicago’s Initiative on Global Markets found, the main force holding back job growth is firms’ lack of interest in hiring, not people’s unwillingness to work at prevailing wages. With U.S. unemployment in double digits, job vacancies depressed and jobless benefits temporary, most workers don’t want to lose any shot they might have at reemployment.

Edited by klehner

24 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Let me go on.  It's people like you, and attitudes like yours, that put my HS teacher wife at risk if required to return to in-person teaching.  The rest of the world gets it, but here, in this banana republic that used to lead the world, we're too stupid to get it.  Thanks for nothing.

15 minutes ago, klehner said:

"They got tired of waiting and left before being tested.  The results of the "non test" came in 2 days later.  They were all positive with covid."  Another BS urban myth you bought into that I've seen all over the place.  I call BS.

From what I've seen not really an urban myth.

However, it's not what it appears either. It was an instance of bad queueing. It was situations where queues were set with names before getting in line. Then if someone pulled out of line, their names weren't pulled out of the queue. Therefore, they got the results of the person originally behind them in line. This cascaded through the line. I assume the last people in the line got no results.

As a tournament organizer, it would be like having a forfeit at some point without recording it and without clearing that bout so that results kept being one off. 

I don't know if it means the testers weren't checking names or that they didn't know what to do to the computer part of the job to recognize the missing entry.

15 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

From what I've seen not really an urban myth.

However, it's not what it appears either. It was an instance of bad queueing. It was situations where queues were set with names before getting in line. Then if someone pulled out of line, their names weren't pulled out of the queue. Therefore, they got the results of the person originally behind them in line. This cascaded through the line. I assume the last people in the line got no results.

As a tournament organizer, it would be like having a forfeit at some point without recording it and without clearing that bout so that results kept being one off. 

I don't know if it means the testers weren't checking names or that they didn't know what to do to the computer part of the job to recognize the missing entry.

The point was that nobody who didn't get tested was actually counted as having tested as positive, thereby inflating the count of positive cases.  This story is being pushed in an attempt to show that the system is rigged (by whom?  no idea) to push the irrational fear of this pandemic.  

Do you have a link to that?  According to this poster, six people were marked as positive, which implies a far higher positivity rate than one sees (every one of those six got mixed up with a positive case).

1 hour ago, klehner said:

The point was that nobody who didn't get tested was actually counted as having tested as positive, thereby inflating the count of positive cases.  This story is being pushed in an attempt to show that the system is rigged (by whom?  no idea) to push the irrational fear of this pandemic.  

Do you have a link to that?  According to this poster, six people were marked as positive, which implies a far higher positivity rate than one sees (every one of those six got mixed up with a positive case).

That was weeks ago. I have no idea. I think it might have happened in a couple places. One went as I suggested. Another logical possibility is that the no shows were simply marked as positive rather than removed.