Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Will the season happen?

Will there be a wrestling season?  

81 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What is the likelihood that there will be a college wrestling season?

• Less than 10%
    • 50% - as likely it will happen as won’t
    • Will definitely happen, could be delayed
    • Will definitely happen, but some teams won’t compete at all

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2020 at 04:00 PM

1 hour ago, klehner said:

The point was that nobody who didn't get tested was actually counted as having tested as positive, thereby inflating the count of positive cases.  This story is being pushed in an attempt to show that the system is rigged (by whom?  no idea) to push the irrational fear of this pandemic.  

Do you have a link to that?  According to this poster, six people were marked as positive, which implies a far higher positivity rate than one sees (every one of those six got mixed up with a positive case).

Something just occurred to me. Did you just see of this incident quite recently? Reason I ask is that another friend mentioned something like this recently. The one I heard about was possibly early June. So these may well be different scenarios.

Despite the fact that so many seem to think that the ENTIRE planet shutting down in one form or another over a global pandemic is a personal attack on their freedom and ability to enjoy things, the reality is there is a very slim chance of any college sports this year. 

Regardless of if you believe in the dangers of the virus or not, colleges and universities would be slapped with an insane amount of liability to make sports happen. In addition, the economic hit that many schools have had, they are focused on figuring out how to bring students back safely because they need that room and board money. Then in goes to testing, costs of vaccines , etc. 

Simply put there are so many factors that go into all levels of sport right now that to just say "we need sports and fans now, rabble rabble rabble" is ignorant and quite frankly a sad take. 

The false positives are absolutely NOT an urban myth.  I have first hand knowledge of this happening...the company I work for asked some of my people to work on a special project to work with the National Guard and two testing companies to develop and improve the testing processes and increase the number of testing's done per day in this state.  My people said that this absolutely happens and that is what they are trying to fix.  And I am sorry the part that it doesn't increase the number of positives is absolutely FALSE!  The reporting side of the process is crazy bad...they take numbers and run with them...them being the powers that be and the media.

16 hours ago, klehner said:

You know something?  Anyone who puts quotation marks around the word "experts" in order to dismiss their, well, expertise, doesn't warrant any more responses.  Go listen to your own "experts" (I'm guessing Trump, Hannity, anyone who still thinks hydroxychloroquine actually works for the novel coronavirus, and anyone who still thinks that masks don't work).

Once again no attempt to try and counter my points...instead this time you are hung up on a set of quotation marks...and so instead of asking me why I put them there (like a normal adult would do in a debate) you throw out another asinine comment that one isn't true and two doesn't add anything to the debate.  So I'll sit here and wait to see if you are mature enough to have an adult conversation and actual debate any of the content I have posted instead of saying "It isn't worth even responding to...and I am taking my ball and going home".

FYI...I'll humor you...I put the quotation marks around the experts given the fact that some (clearly you) like to take the word of a single point of view expert to be an "expert" on things all encompassing when it comes to how to handle this virus.  An infectious disease Dr. is looking at this from a very narrow singular point of view (he has even said this numerous times in interviews yet people seem to just ignore it) in that he is ALL about zero transmission and zero infections/deaths...i.e., doesn't take into account the economy, mental health, societal norms, etc.  If you want to call someone who is a Dr. in infectious disease an expert in infectious disease by all means do so but to use the word as all encompassing is down right wrong and hence I will put the word in quotations until people stop doing it.

12 minutes ago, dman115 said:

The false positives are absolutely NOT an urban myth.  I have first hand knowledge of this happening...the company I work for asked some of my people to work on a special project to work with the National Guard and two testing companies to develop and improve the testing processes and increase the number of testing's done per day in this state.  My people said that this absolutely happens and that is what they are trying to fix.  And I am sorry the part that it doesn't increase the number of positives is absolutely FALSE!  The reporting side of the process is crazy bad...they take numbers and run with them...them being the powers that be and the media.

Wow-that is insane and a huge scandal! Why didn't you just say so earlier? This changes everything! After reading this, I no longer believe the doctors and scientists, but instead am with this guy who can't actually write a complete sentence.  

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

Despite the fact that so many seem to think that the ENTIRE planet shutting down in one form or another over a global pandemic is a personal attack on their freedom and ability to enjoy things, the reality is there is a very slim chance of any college sports this year. 

Regardless of if you believe in the dangers of the virus or not, colleges and universities would be slapped with an insane amount of liability to make sports happen. In addition, the economic hit that many schools have had, they are focused on figuring out how to bring students back safely because they need that room and board money. Then in goes to testing, costs of vaccines , etc. 

Simply put there are so many factors that go into all levels of sport right now that to just say "we need sports and fans now, rabble rabble rabble" is ignorant and quite frankly a sad take. 

So let me understand what you are saying...you are saying colleges should stay locked down and no sports should be played because they will sued and lose money???  So the POTENTIAL to lose money is a bigger risk than making policies that will ABSOLUTELY lose money (and a lot of it)???  Incase you don't get it...a lot less students and no sports will have a HUGE financial impact...that is a given.  POTENTIAL lawsuits is something that may happen.  Along those lines, please explain to me the basis of these potential lawsuits?  Do students sue the colleges now when they get the flu?  How about when they catch chlamydia?  Ohhh...how about HIV?

And what I say is ignorant and sad??  Okay....

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Wow-that is insane and a huge scandal! Why didn't you just say so earlier? This changes everything! After reading this, I no longer believe the doctors and scientists, but instead am with this guy who can't actually write a complete sentence.  

Wow...thought you were better and smarter than this Billy...you have officially joined the "attack the grammar" way of debate. 

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Wow...thought you were better and smarter than this Billy...you have officially joined the "attack the grammar" way of debate. 

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the way you write. I don’t write with perfect grammar either and I think criticizing grammar is stupid, especially on a wrestling forum where that doesn’t matter at all. I posted that a bit tongue in cheek, because you have to see that it’s kind of ridiculous that you are contradicting the best trained/most knowledgeable medical professionals in the country despite clearly lacking any type of similar knowledge. Look at it from our perspective-it’s ridiculous to see. 

But apologies if I was a bit harsh in the way I wrote that-It was probably out of line.

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the way you write. I don’t write with perfect grammar either and I think criticizing grammar is stupid, especially on a wrestling forum where that doesn’t matter at all. I posted that a bit tongue in cheek, because you have to see that it’s kind of ridiculous that you are contradicting the best trained/most knowledgeable medical professionals in the country despite clearly lacking any type of similar knowledge. Look at it from our perspective-it’s ridiculous to see. 

But apologies if I was a bit harsh in the way I wrote that-It was probably out of line.

Apology accepted.  :)  Sorry for my part and the retaliation!

And I am open to hearing where I am wrong based on strong scientific evidence (I am somewhat a science nerd...have a biology degree) and the experts.  I think some of the problem right now is that what we are hearing from the scientists are opinions based on incomplete and sometimes inaccurate data versus results of studies using the scientific method.  I get it that that is easier said than done in a situation like this but the point is that you have different scientists giving different opinions and thus you get opinionated forum loud mouths like me that have different opinions than others.

Funny thing is that probably 95% of us agree on the basic things in regards to this pandemic....it is a bad virus, it effects a certain demographic very badly, we want people to be healthy and safe, we all don't want to the economy to crash (this may be up for more of a debate for some...ha), we want our kids to be healthy, and we want to get back to normal and live our life's, watch sports, and eat, drink and be merry.  It's the minutia and politics that divide us...and I hate that!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29600577/uconn-becomes-1st-fbs-team-cancel-football-season-due-coronavirus

Not sure how meaningful this is.  UConn football is a tire fire, and their return to the Big East for all other sports may ultimately lead the school to drop football altogether regardless of the pandemic.  But...