Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Off Topic: Lake Lure, NC

53 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Not hidden at all. Gets pretty busy in the fall and summer typically.  Nice area though.

Yeah by hidden just meant that anyone I've asked has never heard of it.

Do you know much about Running Bald?  

Edited by Lurker

Rumbling Bald Resort?  Yeah I’ve stayed there before, it’s a pretty good spot IMO.   However I’m not sure what amenities are currently open (I know they have a gym, restaurants, beach, golf, etc)

Fun Fact the Dirty Dancing lake has been empty for the last several years but mysteriously started filling up again this year.  Something to do with multi-decade water cycle the lake apparently goes through. 

Also Last of the Mohicans was partially filmed in the nearby area too. 

Edited by MadMardigain

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Rumbling Bald Resort?  Yeah I’ve stayed there before, it’s a pretty good spot IMO.   However I’m not sure what amenities are currently open (I know they have a gym, restaurants, beach, golf, etc)

Okay thanks. That’s where we are looking, in there. From the website and realtor pages it seems like a real nice spot. 

50 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I thought you guys were talking about a Veterans Marathon!

Dirty Dancing was filmed at Mountain Lake, located 15 minutes from Virginia Tech. Since I was in grad school, and poor, that’s where my wife and I had our honeymoon weekend....except on the first night the generator in the huge barn, which they use for live music, caught fire and the whole mountain went dark. Waking up the next more and being offered fruit and cereal, rather the AMAZING brunch buffet they have every Sunday, pissed me off so we got a full refund, and went to the ASPCA to check out the dogs, found one and she’s been with us for 8 great years.

34 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Dirty Dancing was filmed at Mountain Lake, located 15 minutes from Virginia Tech. Since I was in grad school, and poor, that’s where my wife and I had our honeymoon weekend....except on the first night the generator in the huge barn, which they use for live music, caught fire and the whole mountain went dark. Waking up the next more and being offered fruit and cereal, rather the AMAZING brunch buffet they have every Sunday, pissed me off so we got a full refund, and went to the ASPCA to check out the dogs, found one and she’s been with us for 8 great years.

So I’ve learned during some more looking it this evening that it was actually filmed in both places. Mountain Ridge in VA and Lake Lure in NC. 

Edited by Lurker

I live 20 or so miles from Lake Lure (I’m just outside Asheville which is also a great place). It’s relatively close to Hendersonville as well, which is a nice small retirement town.

The lake is nice and has a couple pull up restaurants where you can dock and eat. There is a small beach area and a few decent restaurants/bars.  

10 hours ago, OBXWrestler said:

Great place. Lake gets real busy during the summer/fall. People speak highly of the Rumbling bald. 

I live about 25 minutes from there. 

You must drive pretty fast to get from OBX to Lake Lure in 25 mins!

Went to Swananoa/Asheville three years ago this weekend for a pal's wedding, and that area changed my life for the better. I visited Chimney Rock and Lake Lure while in town, and immediately knew that was the spot for me. (I understand the waterfall scene in "Last of The Mohicans" was filmed at Chimney Rock, and I understand why) As others have said, it's a great place, and sitting at the feet of those mountains... maaaaaannnnnnn... absolutely stunning.

For me, I've lived almost my entire life in and within an hour of Chicago. We have nothing like that around here. If it weren't 10-plus hours from me one way, I'd be back there more often.

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

So I’ve learned during some more looking it this evening that it was actually filmed in both places. Mountain Ridge in VA and Lake Lure in NC. 

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that and have never seen the movie. Mountain Lake promotes the hell out it though and host Dirty Dancing themed weekends where you dress like you were in and partake in events in the movie.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You must drive pretty fast to get from OBX to Lake Lure in 25 mins!

Originally from OBX and moved to the mountains around 9 years ago. 

The drive from the Outer Banks to here is incredibly long and a unique type of torture. Haha

13 hours ago, NCBuckeye said:

I live 20 or so miles from Lake Lure (I’m just outside Asheville which is also a great place). It’s relatively close to Hendersonville as well, which is a nice small retirement town.

The lake is nice and has a couple pull up restaurants where you can dock and eat. There is a small beach area and a few decent restaurants/bars.  

We must live within minutes of each other.