Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

No fall football

In VA, adminstrators are pushing fall sports to a mid-Feb start date. I was wondering if this will help or hurt the quality of wrestling this year.

On the one hand, footballers who wrestle might be tempted to spend the fall in prep for the football season and not wrestle this year. 

On the other hand, wrestlers who play football will have the fall to train for wrestling, avoid injury, better manage weight, etc. 

What do you think?

Oh ... I am making the assumption that the season will happen, but I am not confident that it will.

There isn't a cookie cutter solution and it will be based on the individual. I have seen some kids "moving" to other states that are having fall football. I'm guessing there will be quite a few transfers this year in high school athletics.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Boompa said:

PA governor is recommending no sports until January 1st.  PIAA was in executive session all afternoon and will again tomorrow.

I'm in the Burgh area for a few weeks from Nebraska.  It's been interesting to hear WPIAL  vs Philly area on thoughts.   Pa Governor not well liked at the moment in many places in the state.   Back in Nebraska and Kansas,  I have heard that schools that have 6 or 8 man football will potentially have a full season and all 11 man schools will either be abbreviated seasons with just conference foes,  or potentiall scrapped all together. 

Based on their level of effort, I think most ADs only tolerate other sports outside of football and basketball...if football can't happen, I can't imagine there will be much effort to make the others happen.  ADs jobs are safe, and they can support the keep the kids safe approach until football can resume.  

Based on their level of effort, I think most ADs only tolerate other sports outside of football and basketball...if football can't happen, I can't imagine there will be much effort to make the others happen.  ADs jobs are safe, and they can support the keep the kids safe approach until football can resume.  

Most college sports fans only tolerate other sports. When a non-rev Olympic sport gets cut, the rallying cries are never led by the “fans” of the school, it’s just the fans of that particular sport. Take my alma mater - they aren’t ODU fans, they’re ODU football and basketball fans with a scant number giving a crap about anything other than those two -except when nationally ranked. Same can be said for pretty much every fanbase - there are a few exceptions.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, BobDole said:

There isn't a cookie cutter solution and it will be based on the individual. I have seen some kids "moving" to other states that are having fall football. I'm guessing there will be quite a few transfers this year in high school athletics.

That will work out sweet in VA.  Two seasons!